Spreading the News: History, Successes, Challenges and the Ethics of Effective Dissemination
- 207 Downloads
Behavior analysts are responsible for disseminating behavior analysis by making information about the science available to the public, professional peers, and government officials. The purposes of the current paper are to outline the dissemination efforts of professional associations in the field of behavior analysis; to highlight the parallel efforts to disseminate and establish behavior analysis as a profession, including the evolution and growth of certification; to share examples of dissemination successes; to describe some challenges that have been faced when disseminating behavior analysis internationally; and to suggest some strategies for ethical and effective dissemination of behavior analysis.
KeywordsInternational dissemination Ethics Associations Certification
Compliance with Ethical Standards
Conflict of Interest
The authors declare that they have no conflict of interest.
- Ahlqvist, T., Bäck, A., Halonen, M., & Heinonen, S. (2008). Social media roadmaps. Exploring the futures triggered by social media. Research Notes 2454. Julkaisija, Finland.Google Scholar
- Applied Behavior Center for Autism. (2016). ABA endorsements. Retrieved from http://appliedbehaviorcenter.com/aba-endorsements/.
- Association for Behavior Analysis International (ABAI). (2017a). International delegations. Retrieved from https://www.abainternational.org/events/delegations.aspx.
- Association for Behavior Analysis International (ABAI). (2017b). Chapters. Retrieved from https://www.abainternational.org/constituents/chapters/chapters-home.aspx
- Autism Speaks Inc. (2017). FAQs: State autism insurance reform laws. Retrieved from https://www.autismspeaks.org/advocacy/insurance/faqs-state-autism-insurance-reform-laws.
- Behavior Analyst Certification Board (BACB). (2017a). Professional and ethical compliance code for behavior analysts. Retrieved from https://bacb.com/wp-content/uploads/170706-compliance-code-english.pdf.
- Behavior Analyst Certification Board (BACB). (2017b). VCS directory. Retrieved from http://info.bacb.com/o.php?page=100358.
- Behavior Analyst Certification Board (BACB). (2017c). Certificant registry. Retrieved from https://info.bacb.com/o.php?page=100155.
- Bockenfeld, M., & Brown, C. (2016). Effective communication & dissemination strategies. Retrieved from http://docplayer.net/45571381-Effective-communication-dissemination-strategies.html.
- Critchfield, T.S., Doepke, K.J., Epting, L.K., Becirevic, A., Reed, D.D., Fienuo, D.M., … & Ecott, C.L. (2017). Normative emotional responses to behavior analysis jargon or how not to use words to win friends and influence people. Behavior Analysis in Practice, 10, 97–106.Google Scholar
- Daniels, A. (2009). Oops! 13 management practices that waste time and money (and what to do instead). Atlanta, GA: Performance Management Publications.Google Scholar
- Dillenburger, K., McKerr, L., Jordan, J.-A., & Keenan, M. (2016). Staff training in autism: the one-eyed wo/man… International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health, 13(7), 716.Google Scholar
- Dipuglia, A., Gandalovicova, J., & Chapman, D. (2017). ABA in Czech Republic. Operants, (III), 14–17.Google Scholar
- Dissemination of Behavior Analysis- Special Interest Group (DBA-SIG). (2017). Special interest groups. Retrieved from https://www.abainternational.org/constituents/special-interests/special-interest-groups.aspx.
- Fennell, B., & Dillenburger, K. (2016). Applied behavior analysis: what do teachers of students with autism spectrum disorder know. International Journal of Educational Research. Retrieved from http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S088303551630057X.
- Freeman, S. (2003). Science for sale in the autism wars: medically necessary autism treatment, the court battle for health insurance, and why health technology academics are enemy number one. Langley B.C., Lynden WA: SKF Books.Google Scholar
- Friman, P.C. (2017). In B. Zey (Chair), Dissemination: a collaborative effort. Panel discussion conducted at the 43rd Annual Convention of the Association for Behavior Analysis International, Denver, CO, USA.Google Scholar
- Gandalovicova, J. (2016). The arrival of ABA in the Czech Republic. European Association for Behavior Analysis Newsletter, December. Retrieved from http://www.europeanaba.org/.
- Gholami-Kordkheili, F., Wild, V., & Strech, D. (2013). The impact of social media on medical professionalism: a systematic qualitative review of challenges and opportunities. Journal of Medical Internet Research, 15(8), e184. https://doi.org/10.2196/jmir.2708.CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Gottlieb, S. (2015). The quickening pace of medical progress and its discontents. Forbes. Retrieved from https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottgottlieb/2015/06/17/the-quickening-pace-of-medical-progress-and-its-discontents/#5d3619637a5a.
- Harmsworth, S., Turpin, S., Rees, A., & Pell, G. (2001). Creating an effective dissemination strategy: an expanded interactive workbook for educational development projects. Higher Education Funding Council for England (HEFCE).Retrieved from http://www.innovations.ac.uk/btg/resources/publications/dissemination.pdf.
- Hawai’i Association for Behavior Analysis. (2017). Autism insurance. Retrieved from http://www.hawaiiaba.org/autism-insurance.
- Hawai'i Medical Service Association (2016). Applied behavior analysis therapy for treatment of autism spectrum disorder. Retrieved from https://hmsa.com/portal/PROVIDER/MM.12.022_Applied_Behavior_Analysis_Therapy_for_Treatment_of_Autism_Spectrum_Disorder_010116.pdf.
- Hrebeňárová, L. (2016). Interview with Professor Karola Dillenburger BCBA-D, Queen’s University Belfast (Rozhovor s profesorkou Karolou Dillenburger, BCBA-D, z Queen´s University v Belfaste). Špeciálny Pedagóg (Slovakian Journal of Special Education), 5(1), 85–97.Google Scholar
- Howlin, P. (2013). 70 years of autism research: how far have we come? Autism Europe Newsletter, Dec. Retrieved from http://www.autismeurope.org/files/files/link-autism-60-3.pdf.
- Hughes, M.-L. (2008). Letter to the editor: ABA—giving science a bad name? Retrieved from http://www.thepsychologist.org.uk/archive/archive_home.cfm?volumeID=21&editionID=160&ArticleID=1350.
- Institute for Credentialing Excellence. (2017). National commission for certifying agencies (NCCA) standards. Retrieved from http://www.credentialingexcellence.org/p/cm/ld/fid=66.
- Jobs, S. (1998). Interviews. Retrieved from http://allaboutstevejobs.com/sayings/stevejobsinterviews/bw98.php.
- Johnson, K. (2017). In Encinias, A. (Chair), The language of dissemination. Panel discussion conducted at the 43rd Annual Convention of the Association for Behavior Analysis International, Denver, CO, USA.Google Scholar
- Jordan, R. (2015). Autism. The Psychologist, 28(2), 86.Google Scholar
- Keenan, M., Dillenburger, K., Röttgers, H.-R., Dounavi, K., Jónsdóttir, S. L., Moderato, P., … Roll-Pettersson, L. (2014). Autism and ABA: the gulf between North America and Europe. Review Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders, 2(2), 167–183.Google Scholar
- Keller, F.S. (1968). “Good-bye, teacher…”. Journal of Applied Behavior Analysis, 1, 79–89.Google Scholar
- Kelly, A. N. (2016). Session 4. The Behavioral Observations Podcast. Audio podcast retrieved from http://www.behavioralobservations.com/session-4-amanda-kelly-licensure-social-media-practices/.
- Kelly, A.N., & Koba-Burdt, K. (2016). Grassroots initiatives and public policy: a behavior analysis of policy change. Presentation conducted at the Southwest Conference on Disability, Albuquerque, NM. Retrieved from: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3JZr1grYKXrNWlkTEVod1pjUWM/view.
- Kelly, A. N., Koba-Burdt, K., Kornack, J., & Unumb, D. (2017). In A. N. Kelly (Chair), Increasing behavior analysts’ participation in public policy. Panel discussion conducted at the 43rd Annual Convention of the Association for Behavior Analysis International, Denver, CO, USA. Retrieved from http://www.behaviorbabe.com/aba-conference-presentations.
- Kelly, M. P., Alireza, I., Busch, H. E., Northrop, S., Al-Attrash, M., Ainsleigh, S., & Bhuptani, N. (2016). An overview of autism and applied behavior analysis in the Gulf cooperation Council in the Middle East. Review Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders, 3(2), 154–164.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Khazaei, H., & Khazaei, A. (2016). Electric vehicles and factors that influencing their adoption moderating effects of driving experience and voluntariness of use (conceptual framework). Journal of Business and Management, 18(12), 60–65.Google Scholar
- Lattal, K.A. (2017). In B. Zey (Chair), dissemination: a collaborative effort. Panel discussion conducted at the 43rd Annual Convention of the Association for Behavior Analysis International, Denver, CO, USA.Google Scholar
- Lindsley, O. R. (1972). From skinner to precision teaching: the child knows best. In J. B. Jordan & L. S. Robbins (Eds.), Let's try doing something else kind of thing: behavioral principles and the exceptional child (pp. 2–11). Arlington, VA: The Council for Exceptional Children.Google Scholar
- Liao, Y., Dillenburger, K., & Buchanan, I. (2017). Does culture matter in ABA-based autism interventions? Parent and professional experiences in the UK and China. European Journal of Behavior Analysis. https://doi.org/10.1080/15021149.2017.1399657.
- McCormack, P. (2012). Story from the Republic of Ireland. The Current Repertoire Newsletter of the Cambridge Center for Behavioral Studies, 28(3), 2 & 12–13.Google Scholar
- McMahon, J., & Cullinan, V. (2016). Exploring eclecticism: the impact of educational theory on the development and implementation of comprehensive education programmes (CEP’s) for young children with autism spectrum disorder (ASD). Research in Autism Spectrum Disorders, 32, 1–12.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- McMahon, J. W. (2010). Professionalism in the use of social media. Retrieved from https://www.ama-assn.org/sites/default/files/media-browser/public/about-ama/councils/Council%20Reports/council-on-ethics-and-judicial-affairs/i10-ceja-professionalism-use-social-media.pdf.
- Miltenberger, R.G. (2017). So ABA isn’t just autism treatment? In Mrljak, J.L. (Chair), Applied behavior analysis outside of autism. Panel discussion conducted at the 43rd Annual Convention of the Association for Behavior Analysis International, Denver, CO, USA.Google Scholar
- Motiwala, S. S., Gupta, S., Lilly, M. B., Ungar, W. J., & Coyte, P. C. (2006). The cost-effectiveness of expanding intensive behavioral intervention to all autistic children in Ontario: in the past year, several court cases have been brought against provincial governments to increase funding for intensive behavioral intervention. Healthcare Policy, 1(2), 135–151.PubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- National Autism Center. (2015). National standards project—phase 2. Retrieved from http://www.nationalautismcenter.org/national-standards-project/.
- National Council for Special Education ( NCSE) 2011). The future role of special schools and classes in Ireland: Policy advice. Retrieved from http://ncse.ie/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/The_Future_Role_of_Special_Schools_and_Classes_in_Ireland_4.pdf.
- National Institute for Health and Care Excellence (NICE). (2013). Autism in children and young people guideline consultation comments table. Retrieved from https://www.nice.org.uk/guidance/cg170/documents/autism-management-of-autism-in-children-and-young-people-consultation-comments-table-and-responses2.
- Noone, S., & Chaplin, J. (2017). Overcoming the reluctance to adopt the behavioural principles in positive behavior support: defining the role for clinical psychologists. Clinical Psychology Forum, 290, 19–24.Google Scholar
- Olsen, P. M. (2015). Raising a child with autism: perspectives from Arab-Muslim mothers (Unpublished doctoral dissertation). The Chicago School of Professional Psychology, IL, USA.Google Scholar
- Orinstein, A. J., Helt, M., Troyb, E., Tyson, K. E., Barton, M. L., Eigsti, I.-M., … Fein, D. A. (2014). Intervention for optimal outcome in children and adolescents with a history of autism. Journal of Developmental and Behavioral Pediatrics, 35(4), 247–56.Google Scholar
- Perry, A., & Condillac, R. (2003). Evidence-based practices for children and adolescents with autism spectrum disorders: review of the literature and practice guide. Retrieved from http://www.kidsmentalhealth.ca/documents/EBP_autism.pdf.
- Peterson, J. (2017). Coverage of intensive behavioral therapy (IBT) for treatment of children under 21 years of age with autism spectrum disorder (ASD). Retrieved from http://www.med-quest.us/PDFs/Provider%20Memos/FFS_17-03.pdf.
- Prior, M., Roberts, J. M. A., Rodger, S., & Williams, K. (2011). A review of the research to identify the most effective models of practice in early intervention for children with autism spectrum disorders. Australian Government Department of Families, Housing, Community Services and Indigenous Affairs, Australia. Retrieved from http://www.dss.gov.au/sites/default/files/documents/09_2012/review_of_the_research_report_2011_0.pdf.
- Schillinger, D. (2010). An introduction to effectiveness, dissemination, and implementation research: a resource manual for community-engaged research. P. Fleisher, & E. Goldstein (Eds.) University of California, San Francisco: Clinical and Translational Science Institute.Google Scholar
- Shook, G.L., Johnston, J.M., Cone, J.D., Thomas, D.R., Greer, R.D., Beard, J., & Herring, R. (1988). Final report: task force on credentialing, quality assurance and right to practice. Association for Behavior Analysis: Unpublished Task Force report.Google Scholar
- Shook, G. L. (2005). An examination of the integrity and future of Behavior Analyst Certification Board credentials. Behavior Modification, 29, 562–574.Google Scholar
- Skinner, B. F. (1938). Behavior of organisms. New York, NY: D. Appleton-Century Company, Inc..Google Scholar
- Society for the Advancement of Behavior Analysis (SABA). (2017). SABA. Retrieved from http://saba.abainternational.org.
- United States Surgeon General. (1999). Mental health: a report of the Surgeon General. National Institute of Mental Health. Retrieved from http://profiles.nlm.nih.gov/ps/retrieve/ResourceMetadata/NNBBHS.
- Unumb, L. (2014). BCBS must provide ABA coverage for autism. Letter to the Editor. Retrieved from http://www.newsobserver.com/2014/07/17/4012585/lorri-unumb-bcbs-must-provide.html.
- Unumb, L. (2017). On the road to autism insurance reform - 10 Years. Retrieved from https://www.autismspeaks.org/blog/2015/02/26/road-autism-insurance-reform-10-years.
- J. E. V. Wong (United States District Court, D. Hawaii. August 12, 2016) (Leagle, Dist. file). Retrieved from http://www.leagle.com/decision/In%20FDCO%2020160816833/J.E.%20v.%20Wong.