Autism, Insurance, and Discrimination: The Effect of an Autism Diagnosis on Behavior-Analytic Services
This paper discusses variables contributing to behavior analysis’s growth within the autism community and the effect of an autism diagnosis on behavior-analytic services and access to those services. Recent insurance reforms in 47 states, the District of Columbia, and the U.S. Virgin Islands require insurance companies to offer, or cover, behavior-analytic services to individuals diagnosed with autism spectrum disorder. However, despite many benefits associated with increased coverage for individuals with autism, potential limitations exist, such as age and disability discrimination. Furthermore, this paper examines factors influencing the growing number of behavior analysts practicing in the area of autism and steps to ensure the field’s growth beyond autism.
KeywordsAdvocacy Autism Behavior analysis Insurance Legislation
Compliance with Ethical Standards
Conflict of Interest
Cary E. Trump declares that she has no conflict of interest. Kevin M. Ayres declares that he has no conflict of interest.
This article does not contain any studies with human participants performed by any of the authors.
- Association for Behavior Analysis International. (2018a). Behavior analysis for sustainable societies. Retrieved from https://www.abainternational.org/constituents/special-interests/sig-details.aspx Accessed 15 Dec 2018.
- Association for Behavior Analysis International. (2018b). Behavioral Gerontology Retrieved from https://www.abainternational.org/constituents/special-interests/sig-details.aspx Accessed 15 Dec 2018.
- Autism Services Amendments, Utah Code Ann. §31A-22-642 (2018).Google Scholar
- Autism Society. (2011). Where we’ve been and where we’re going: The Autism Society’s proud history. Autism Advocate, 61(2), 7–11. Retrieved from https://www.autism-society.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/autism-society-history.pdf Accessed 28 Sept 2018.
- Autism Speaks. (2018). Autism insurance reform. Retrieved from https://www.autismspeaks.org/advocacy/insurancereform Accessed 15 Mar 2018.
- Behavior Analyst Certification Board. (2017). Professional and ethical compliance code for behavior analysts. Retrieved from https://www.bacb.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/170706-compliance-code-english.pdf Accessed 15 Mar 2018.
- Behavior Analyst Certification Board. (n.d.). BACB certificant data. Retrieved from https://www.bacb.com/bacb-certificant-data/ Accessed 20 Aug 2018.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. (2013). Data & statistics. Autism spectrum disorder. Retrieved from http://www.cdc.gov/ncbddd/autism/data.html Accessed 15 Mar 2018.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. (2017, December 6). Autism spectrum disorder. Retrieved from https://www.cdc.gov/ncbddd/autism/index.html Accessed 15 Mar 2018.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. (2018a). Autism prevalence slightly higher in CDC’s ADDM network [Press release]. Retrieved from https://www.cdc.gov/media/releases/2018/p0426-autism-prevalence.html Accessed 7 June 2018.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. (2018b). ADDM Network spotlight on: Racial and ethnic differences in children identified with autism spectrum disorder [Community report]. Retrieved from https://www.cdc.gov/ncbddd/autism/addm-community-report/documents/differences-in-children-addm-community-report-2018-h.pdf Accessed 28 Sept 2018.
- Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services. (2014). Clarification of Medicaid coverage of services to children with autism. CMCS Informational Bulletin. Retrieved from https://www.medicaid.gov/Federal-Policy-Guidance/Downloads/CIB-07-07-14.pdf Accessed 28 Sept 2018.
- Cicoria, M. (Producer). (2017, April 24). Session 25: Jim Carr on the state of the practice [audio podcast]. Retrieved from https://behavioralobservations.com/session-25-jim-carr-state-practice/ Accessed 28 Sept 2018.
- Cipani, E., & Schock, K. M. (2011). Functional behavioral assessment, diagnosis, and treatment: A complete system for education and mental health settings. New York, NY: Springer.Google Scholar
- Eason, B. (2018). Autism awareness night. Retrieved from https://www.nba.com/suns/autism-awareness-night#gref Accessed 28 Sept 2018.
- LaRue, R. H., Sloman, K. N., Dashow, E., & Isenhower, R. W. (2015). Assessment and intervention for individuals with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder. In H. S. Roane, J. E. Ringdahl, & T. S. Falcomata (Eds.), Clinical and organizational applications of applied behavior analysis (pp. 217–240). London, UK: Elsevier.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- LeBlanc, L. A., Raetz, P. B., & Feliciano, L. (2013). Behavioral gerontology. In G. J. Madden (Ed.), Handbook of applied behavior analysis: Vol. 1. Methods and principles (pp. 472–486). Washington, DC: American Psychological Association.Google Scholar
- Matson, J. L., Turygin, N. C., Beighley, J., Rieske, R., Tureck, K., & Matson, M. L. (2012). Applied behavior analysis in autism spectrum disorders: Recent developments, strengths, and pitfalls. Research in Autism Spectrum Disorders, 6, 144–150. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.rasd.2011.03.014.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Maurice, C. (1993). Let me hear your voice: A family’s triumph over autism. New York, NY: Knopf.Google Scholar
- Moore, J. (2008). Conceptual foundations of radical behaviorism. In Cornwall-on-Hudson. NY: Sloan Publishing.Google Scholar
- Piazza, C. C., Milnes, S. M., & Shalev, R. A. (2015). A behavior-analytic approach to the assessment and treatment of pediatric feeding disorders. In H. S. Roane, J. E. Ringdahl, & T. S. Falcomata (Eds.), Clinical and organizational applications of applied behavior analysis (pp. 69–91). London, UK: Elsevier.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Roane, H. S., Ringdahl, J. E., & Falcomata, T. S. (2015). Clinical and organizational applications of applied behavior analysis. San Diego, CA: Elsevier Academic Press.Google Scholar
- United Nations General Assembly. (2008). Resolution adopted by the General Assembly on 18 December 2007: 62/139. World Autism Awareness Day (UN Doc. A/RES/62/139). Retrieved from https://undocs.org/A/RES/62/139 Accessed 28 Sept 2018.
- University of Georgia. (n.d.). Communicating science and scholarship. Retrieved from http://grad.uga.edu/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/2013-GRSC8200.pdf Accessed 28 Sept 2018.
- Unumb, L. (2015). Legislating autism coverage: The conservative insurance mandate. Belmont Law Review, 59(2), 59–92 Retrieved from https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=2755761 Accessed 28 Sept 2018.Google Scholar