An Evaluation of a Brief Video-Based Multiple-Stimulus Without Replacement Preference Assessment
We evaluated a brief multiple-stimulus without replacement (MSWO) preference assessment conducted in video format with four children with autism. Specifically, we compared the results of a video-based MSWO to the results of a tangible MSWO. Toys identified as highly preferred (HP) in the video-based MSWO were also HP in the tangible MSWO for three of four participants, and correlations between video-based and tangible MSWO assessment results across participants were strong and statistically significant. Therefore, video-based MSWOs may be an accurate compliment to tangible MSWOs for children with autism.
KeywordsPreference assessment Technology Autism
- Fisher, W., Piazza, C. C., Bowman, L. G., Hagopian, L. P., Owens, J. C., & Slevin, I. (1992). A comparison of two approaches for identifying reinforcers for persons with severe and profound disabilities. Journal of Applied Behavior Analysis, 25, 491–498. doi:10.1901/jaba.1992.25-491.CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Kagohara, D., van der Meer, L., Ramdoss, S., O’Reilly, M., Lancioni, T., Davis, T., Rispoli, M., Lang, R., Marschik, P., Sutherland, D., Green, V., & Sigafoos, J. (2013). Using iPods and iPads in teaching programs for individuals with developmental disabilities: a systematic review. Research in Developmental Disabilities, 34, 147–156. doi:10.1901/jaba.1996.29-519.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Kang, S., O’Reilly, M., Lancioni, G., Falcomata, T. S., Sigafoos, J., & Xu, Z. (2013). Comparison of the predictive validity and consistency among preference assessment procedures: a review of the literature. Research in Developmental Disabilities, 34, 1125–1133. doi:10.1016/j.ridd.2012.12.021.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Peterson, R. N. (2014). The effectiveness of a video-based preference assessment in identifying socially reinforcing stimuli (Masters thesis). Retrieved from http://digitalcommons.usu.edu/etd/2296.
- Sundberg, M. L. (2008). Verbal behavior milestones assessment and placement program: the VB-MAPP. Concord: AVB Press.Google Scholar