How to Prepare Prospective Psychiatrists in the Era of Artificial Intelligence
A few years ago, AlphaGo—an artificial intelligence developed by Google’s DeepMind to play the ancient Chinese board-game Go—beat a human Korean Go Champion who was considered one of the best players of the time. This became an instant sensation around the globe as Go, played with black and white stones on a grid and heavily reliant on human instinct, was assumed to be too complex for an artificial intelligence to learn and to eventually outperform human minds . The emergence of such an advanced technology as AlphaGo and its potential threat to human-driven endeavors seem to have sprung fully formed from the worst fears of the general public, and even of more rarified individuals, like Stephen Hawking and Elon Musk [2, 3]. Clinicians are no exception to such fears of potential invasion and/or takeover of their specialized practice by artificial intelligence or other rapidly emerging technological advances . There has been ongoing talk between this anxiety and the hope for the...
Compliance with Ethical Standards
On behalf of all authors, the corresponding author states that there is no conflict of interest.
- 1.Byford S. Why is Google’s Go win such a big deal? In The Verge. 2016. Available from: https://www.theverge.com/2016/3/9/11185030/google-deepmind-alphago-go-artificial-intelligence-impact. Accessed 18 Sep 2018
- 2.Ford P. Our fear of artificial intelligence. MIT Technol Rev. 2015. Available from: https://www.technologyreview.com/s/534871/our-fear-of-artificial-intelligence/
- 3.Kurzweil R. Don’t fear artificial intelligence. Time Mag. 2014; 28. Available from: http://time.com/3641921/dont-fear-artificial-intelligence/
- 4.Minor L. Will doctors be replaced by algorithms? In Scope. Stanford Medicine. 2018. Available from: https://scopeblog.stanford.edu/2018/09/11/will-doctors-be-replaced-by-algorithms/. Accessed 23 Sep 2018
- 5.Millennials in medicine. 2015; Available from: http://www.medicaleconomics.com/health-law-policy/millennials-medicine.
- 11.Nam JG, et al. Development and validation of deep learning–based automatic detection algorithm for malignant pulmonary nodules on chest radiographs. Radiology. 2018:180237.Google Scholar
- 12.Luxton DD. An introduction to artificial intelligence in behavioral and mental health care. In: Artificial intelligence in behavioral and mental health care: Elsevier; 2016. p. 1–26. https://doi.org/10.1016/B978-0-12-420248-1.00001-5.
- 13.Hilty DM, DeJong S. Putting technologies used for clinical care and education in context. Springer; 2018;42(6):753–758. https://doi.org/10.1007/s40596-018-0996-1.
- 14.Kim JW, et al. Developing a digitally informed curriculum in psychiatry education and clinical practice. Acad Psychiatry. 2018:1–9.Google Scholar
- 16.Louie AK, Coverdale JH, Balon R, et al. Enhancing empathy: a role for virtual reality? Acad Psychiatry. Springer; 2018;42(6):747–752.Google Scholar