The Last Jedi Takes His Own Life: Rational Suicide and Homicide-Suicide in Star Wars
Star Wars films have been used to teach about psychiatric disorders ranging from obsessive-compulsive personality disorder in C3PO to psychopathy in Jabba the Hutt to malingering by Yoda [1, 2, 3]. This has continued into the new trilogy with The Force Awakens being used as a case study to discuss patricide . In a similar vein, The Last Jedi, which contains multiple examples of self-sacrifice, allows for discussion of the difficult topics and themes inherent in suicide and homicide-suicide. Although Star Wars is a science-fiction space opera transcending multiple generations, one must not forget that it is also about war and death. Even popular characters do not always live to see another day (e.g., Han Solo).
In this paper, we discuss how The Last Jedican be used in psychiatric discussions with trainees to address the real-world topics of suicide and homicide-suicide through the hypothetical lens of popular culture. Motivations such as honor, duty to comrades,...
Compliance with Ethical Standards
Not applicable/film review
On behalf of all authors, the corresponding author states that there is no conflict of interest.
- 4.Friedman SH, Hall RC. Star Wars: The Force Awakens, forensic teaching about patricide. J Am Acad Psychiatry Law. 2017;45:128–30.Google Scholar
- 7.Sachdeva S, Iliev R, Ekhtiari H, et al. The role of self-sacrifice in moral dilemmas. PLoS One. 2015;10(6):e0127409.Google Scholar
- 10.Knoll J, Friedman SH. The homicide-suicide phenomenon: findings of psychological autopsies. J For Sci. 2015;60:1253–7.Google Scholar
- 11.McPhedran S, Eriksson L, Mazerolle P, DeLeo D, Johnson H, Wortley R. Characteristics of homicide-suicide in Australia: a comparison with homicide-only and suicide-only cases. J Interpers Viol. 2015;502:1–25.Google Scholar
- 14.Kennedy DB. A Precis of suicide terrorism. J Homeland Secur Emerg Manag. 2006;3(4):1–9.Google Scholar
- 15.Hall RCW. Terrorism. In: Loue S, Sajatovic M, editors. Encyclopedia of Immigrant Health: Springer; New York, 2012. p. 1413–6.Google Scholar
- 18.Agnew P. Prosecution in Costa Concordia captain trial recommends sentence Francesco Schettino accused of being an ‘able idiot’ in Tuscan court Mon, Jan 26, 2015, https://www.irishtimes.com/news/world/europe/prosecution-in-costa-concordia-captain-trial-recommends-sentence-1.2080019. Accessed January 25, 2018.
- 19.Arvedon J. The Last Jedi Wastes the Perfect Farewell For Leia on [SPOILER] Instead, CBR Exclusives, December 18, 2017, available at: https://www.cbr.com/star-wars-last-jedi-holdo-death/.
- 20.Friedman SH, Hrouda DR, Holden CE, Noffsinger SG, Resnick PJ. Filicide-suicide: common characteristics of parents who kill their children and themselves. J Am Acad Psychiatry Law. 2005;33:496–504.Google Scholar
- 22.Richards N. Old age rational suicide. Sociology Compass. 2017;3(11):e12456, 3–4.Google Scholar
- 23.Bostwick M. On ‘distinguishing among irrational suicide, rational suicide, and other forms of hastened death: implications for clinical practice’ by Cavin P. Leeman, M.D. Psychosomatics. 2009;50:192–3.Google Scholar