Integrated Medicine and Psychiatry Curriculum for Psychiatry Residency Training: a Model Designed to Meet Growing Mental Health Workforce Needs
- 369 Downloads
Patients with chronic mental illness have significantly higher rates of medical comorbidity and resultant lower life expectancies when compared to the general population [1, 2, 3]. This survival discrepancy is not fully accounted for by the higher rate of suicide completion in these patients but, rather, is often attributable to mortality from cardiovascular, metabolic, and other systemic illness. Many such individuals are seen in community mental health settings and have poor access to primary health care. In some cases, the psychiatrist may become the “de facto primary care physician,” while providing some preventive health screening and treatment of general medical conditions. For those patients who are cared for by a primary care provider, the psychiatrist may support preventive medical recommendations with psychopharmacological interventions and the use of psychotherapies such as cognitive behavioral therapy, problem solving therapy, supportive psychotherapy, and motivational...
The authors acknowledge Mehrbanoo Lashai.
Dr. Robert McCarron is an editor for the American Psychiatric Publishing textbook Preventive Medical Care in Psychiatry: a Clinical Guide for Health Care Providers, which is cited in the references.
- 6.American Diabetes Association, American Psychiatric Association, American Association of Clinical Endocrinologists, North American Association for the Study of Obesity and Diabetes: Consensus development conference on antipsychotic drugs and obesity and diabetes. Diabetes Care. 2004; 27:596–601.Google Scholar
- 10.Reardon CL, et al. General and child and adolescent psychiatry resident training in integrated care: a survey of training directors. Academic Psychiatry. (In press)Google Scholar
- 12.Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education: The psychiatry milestone project. November 2013. http://acgme.org/acgmeweb/Portals/0/PDFs/Milestones/PsychiatryMilestones.pdf. Accessed September 9, 2014.
- 13.Raney LE. Integrated care: working at the interface of primary and behavioral health care. Arlington: American Psychiatric Publishing; 2015.Google Scholar
- 14.Advanced Integrated Mental Health Solutions Center. http://aims.uw.edu. Accessed September 9, 2014.
- 15.McCarron RM, Xiong G, Keenan CR, et al. Preventive medical care in psychiatry: a clinical guide for health care providers. Arlington: American Psychiatric Publishing; 2015.Google Scholar
- 18.Kathol RG, Summergrad P. Training the next generation of psychiatrists in integrated medical-psychiatric care. In: Integrated care in psychiatry: redefining the role of mental health. New York: Springer; 2014. p. 197–210.Google Scholar