Attitude of an Egyptian Sample of Medical Students Toward Psychiatry in Comparison to Previous Studies Using the Attitudes Towards Psychiatry (ATP-30) Questionnaire
- 173 Downloads
This study aims to determine the attitude of medical students toward psychiatry at the College of Medicine, Menoufia University, Egypt, and to compare it with previous similar studies in other countries.
Four hundred medical students, randomly selected from four different years, completed the Attitudes Towards Psychiatry (ATP-30) in a cross-sectional study.
The mean ATP score was 99.31; 76.3 % of the students had favorable attitudes toward psychiatry and 29.5 % considered psychiatry as a potential career choice.
A generally positive attitude toward psychiatry was found among medical students in Menoufia University. Consistent with this positive attitude was the relatively high percentage of students who considered psychiatry as a potential career.
KeywordsAttitudes Medical students Psychiatry
- 6.Mansouri AM. [Psychometric properties of the Arabic version of the attitude toward psychiatry scale]. Al-Mukhtar J Humanit, 2008(4). Available at: (http://omu.edu.ly/en_mg/?page_id=45) (in Arabic).
- 8.Amer D, ElShami M. The attitude of first and sixth year medical students in Cairo University towards psychiatry. Arab J Psychiatry. 2011;22(2):156–63.Google Scholar
- 11.Wakil MA, Abdul IW, Abdulmalik JO, Salawu FK, Ahidjo A. The attitude and future career interest in psychiatry of medical students from the University of Maiduguri, North-eastern Nigeria. BOMJ, 2010;7. Available at http://bornomedicaljournal.com/current/.
- 12.Haryan P, Johm T, Tharyan A, Braganza D. Attitudes of ‘tomorrow’s doctors’ towards psychiatry and mental illness. Natl Med J India. 2001;14:355–9.Google Scholar
- 13.Shajaat AK, Yousafzai AR, Mehir RK, Haq I. Attitude of medical students towards psychiatry in NWFP. J Ayub Med Coll Abbottabad. 2008;20(3):44–6.Google Scholar
- 16.Andlauer O, Guicherd W, Haffen E, Sechter D, Bonin B, Seed K, et al. Factors influencing French medical students towards a career in psychiatry. Psychiatr Danub. 2012;24(1):185–90.Google Scholar
- 17.Maric NP, Stojiljkovic D, Milekic B, Milanov M, Bijelic J, Jasovic-Gasic M. Change of students’ interest in psychiatry over the years at school of medicine, University of Belgrade, Serbia. Isr J Psychiatry Relat Sci. 2011;48(1):42–8.Google Scholar
- 21.Johnson N, Lyons D. Psychiatrists: an endangered species? A study to observe attitude of fifth year medical students to psychiatry and to compare change in same after a psychiatry posting during medical school. Ir J Psychol Med. 2012;29(2):91–5.Google Scholar