Experimental rigs for testing components of advanced industrial applications
- 181 Downloads
This paper presents experimental rigs of the Research Centre for the Mechanics of Turbomachinery of the Department of Civil and Industrial Engineering of the University of Pisa. Most of them were designed and constructed to allow investigations of real machine components and to furnish more realistic results than basic tribological test rigs.
Tilting pad journal bearings, as well as gears and complete gearboxes for advanced industrial applications, can be tested using the rigs described in the paper. A novel test rig with a power rating of approximately 1 MW allows investigations of the static and dynamic characteristics of high-performance tilting pad journal bearings for turbomachinery. A twin disc machine and closed loop gear test rig are used to investigate the different kinds of wear mechanisms occurring in gears. Functional and durability tests on planetary gearboxes for new turbo-fan engines could be performed using another novel large test rig. A circulating power configuration was adopted for most of the rigs so that only the power needed to cover the friction losses has to be supplied, while the circulating power can be more than 20 times higher. All the test rigs include very complex load applications and lubrication plants, as well as dedicated control and data acquisition systems.
The rigs and related plants were designed and constructed through strong and fruitful collaborations between the university and some large and small–medium companies. Despite some limitations in the publication of the results as a result of the industrial sensitivity of the data, the synergy among these different actors was stimulating and fundamental for the realization of new advanced industrial applications.
Keywordsexperimental rigs tilting pad journal bearings twin disc machine gears gearboxes
The author wishes to thank everyone at AM Testing, GE Oil & Gas, and GE Avio, along with those department colleagues that have collaborated in the realization of the laboratories and the complex experimental rigs and plants.
The research center was co-financed by the Region of Tuscany in the framework of the ATENE project and by the European Clean Sky platform.
- Dimond T, Younan A, Allaire P. A review of tilting pad bearing theory. Int J Rot Mach 2011: 908469 (2011)Google Scholar
- Ciulli E, Forte P, Maestrale F, Nuti M. Design of a test rig for the dynamic characterization of large size pad bearings. In Proceedings of the 44th Convegno Nazionale AIAS, Messina, Italy, 2015: 343–352. (In Italian)Google Scholar
- Delgado A, Librashi M, Vannini G. Dynamic characterization of tilting pad journal bearings from component and system level testing. In Proceedings of ASME Turbo Expo 2012: Turbine Technical Conference and Exposition, Copenhagen, Denmark, 2012: 1007–1016.Google Scholar
- Hoehn B R, Oster P, Tobie T, Michaelis K. Test methods for gear lubricants. Goriva i Maziva 47(2): 129–152 (2008)Google Scholar
- ISO 14635–1 Gear–FZG test procedures-Part 1: FZG test method A/8,3/90 for relative scuffing load-carrying capacity of oils. ISO, 2000.Google Scholar
- Repola P, Manconi S, Amorena M, Ciulli E, Facchini M. Design of a twin disc test machine. In Proceedings of the 5th World Tribology Congress WTC 2013, Torino, Italy, 2013.Google Scholar
- Bassani R, Ciulli E, Manfredi E, Manconi S, Polacco A, Pugliese G. Experimental study on wear and fracture in aeronautical gear transmissions. In Proceedings of the 8th Biennial Conference on Engineering Systems Design and Analysis, Turin, Italy, 2006: 979–986.Google Scholar
- Bassani R, Ciulli E, Manfredi E, Manconi S, Polacco A, Pugliese G. Investigation on surface damage of ground and superfinished gears under different conditions. In Proceedings of the 16th International Colloquium Tribology, Esslingen, Germany, 2008.Google Scholar
- Ciulli E, Guerrieri Paleotti F S, Bartilotta I, Manconi S, Facchini M. An experimental investigation on scuffing in spur gears. In Proceedings of ECOTRIB 2011-3rd European Conference on Tribology, Vienna, Austria, 2011: 695–700.Google Scholar
- Bartilotta I, Ciulli E, Manconi S, Toson E. An experimental investigation on aerospace quality gears operating in loss of lubrication condition. In Proceedings of the ASME 2012 11th Biennial Conference on Engineering Systems Design and Analysis - ESDA2012, Nantes, France, 2012.Google Scholar
- Mazzitelli I, Guerrieri Paleotti F S, Forte P, Ciulli E, Amorena M, Polacco A. Bulk temperature measurements on gears for scuffing monitoring. In Proceedings of the 7th International Conference on Condition Monitoring and Machinery Failure Prevention Technologies, CM 2010 and MFPT 2010, Stratford-upon-Avon, England, 2010.Google Scholar
- Barsanti M, Beghini M, Ciulli E, Monelli B D, Manconi S, Catarsi R, Demenego A. Design and realisation of a test rig for aeronautical power trasmissions. In Proceedings of the 45th Convegno Nazionale AIAS, Trieste, Italy, 2016. (In Italian)Google Scholar
Open Access: The articles published in this journal are distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/), which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided you give appropriate credit to the original author(s) and the source, provide a link to the Creative Commons license, and indicate if changes were made.