Rehabilitation in obesity with comorbidities: a consensus document from experts of the Italian Society of Physical and Rehabilitation Medicine (SIMFER), the Italian Society of Obesity (SIO) and the Italian Society of Eating Disorders (SISDCA)
- 190 Downloads
Severe obesity is a chronic disease associated with medical and psychosocial comorbidity causing disability and poor quality of life that represents a social and economic burden for the National Health Systems worldwide. The Italian Society of Physical and Rehabilitation Medicine (SIMFER), the Italian Society of Obesity (SIO) and the Italian Society of Eating Disorders (SISDCA) have joined in a panel of experts to discuss a consensus document on the requisites of rehabilitation units devoted to patients affected by severe obesity with comorbidities. The main recommendations of the consensus document are the following: (1) the management of severe obesity should be characterized by the integration of nutritional, physical/functional rehabilitation, psycho-educational, and rehabilitative nursing interventions; (2) the intensity of the rehabilitative interventions should depend on the level of severity and comorbidities, frailty of the psychic status, degree of disability and quality of life of the patient; (3) the rehabilitative approach should be multidisciplinary and integrated in relation to the clinical complexity of obesity; (4) the estimated need for multidimensional rehabilitation of severe obesity is 1 bed per every 1,000 patients and of 4 beds in rehabilitative day-care ward every 1,000 patients suffering from severe obesity with comorbidities.
KeywordsObesity Comorbidity Disability Treatment Rehabilitation Inpatient Complications Day-hospital Consensus statement
Conflict of interest
The authors declare that they have no conflict of interest.
- 2.Capodaglio P, Liuzzi A, Faintuch J (eds) (2013) Disabling obesity: from determinants to care models. Springer Verlag, HeidelbergGoogle Scholar
- 3.Standard Italiani per la Cura dell’Obesità S.I.O./A.D.I. 2012/2013 http://www.sio-obesita.org/Standard.pdf. Accessed 20 Sep 2013
- 5.Piano d’indirizzo per la Riabilitazione http://www.salute.gov.it/imgs/C_17_pubblicazioni_1546_allegato.pdf. Accessed 10 Feb 2011
- 6.Quaderno del Ministero della Salute (n. 8, 2011) http://www.quadernidellasalute.it/archivio-quaderni/8-marzo-aprile-2011.php. Accessed 20 Sep 2013
- 7.Quaderno del Ministero della Salute (n 10, 2011) http://www.quadernidellasalute.it/archivio-quaderni/10-luglio-agosto-2011.php. Accessed 20 Sep 2013
- 9.Liuzzi A, Di Blasio AM (2013) An up-to-date vision on the aetiology and on the epidemiology of obesity and morbid obesity. In: Capodaglio P, Liuzzi A, Faintuch J (eds) Disabling obesity: from determinants to care models. Springler, HeidelbergGoogle Scholar
- 10.Donini LM, Petroni ML (2013) Principles and protocols in nutritional rehabilitation. In: Capodaglio P, Liuzzi A, Faintuch J (eds) Disabling obesity: from determinants to care models. Springler, HeidelbergGoogle Scholar