Evaluation of the efficiency of fluoride-releasing adhesives for preventing secondary caries in-vitro: a systematic review and meta-analysis
To evaluate the efficiency of fluoride-releasing adhesives for the prevention of secondary caries on in-vitro tests.
Materials and methods
This study was performed according to the PRISMA checklist. The bibliographic research was performed to identify in-vitro studies between January 2000 and September 2017. The selected studies were submitted to bias risk assessment and data extraction. In the meta-analysis the data were evaluated using Review Manager Software.
The 11 studies that met all inclusion criteria showed that the most common risks of bias were: absence of the sample size calculation description, absence of the single operator protocol and blind operation of the test machine. The meta-analysis was performed with six studies that used polarised light microscopy in order to quantify the mineral content of dentine and presented the values as means and standard deviations.
Most of the authors presented that the fluoride-containing adhesive systems had a significant effect to reduce in-vitro secondary caries. The meta-analysis did not present statistical difference between fluoride-free and fluoride-containing adhesive systems. The artificial caries challenge methodology may have affected the results.
KeywordsSecondary caries Resin restorations Adhesive Fluoride
None. No Funding was asked for this study.
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
None. No member of our team is hired by a dental materials company, or is a representative or has been sought by a company for research project development.
This article does not contain any studies with human participants or animals performed by any of the authors.
- Amend S, Frankenberger R, Lücker S, et al. Secondary caries formation with a two-species biofilm artificial mouth. Dent Mater Off Publ Acad Dent Mater. 2018;34:786–96.Google Scholar
- Cocco AR, de Rosa WLDO, da Silva AF, et al. A systematic review about antibacterial monomers used in dental adhesive systems: current status and further prospects. Dent Mater Off Publ Acad Dent Mater. 2015;31:1345–62.Google Scholar
- Cury JA, de Oliveira BH, dos Santos APP, et al. Are fluoride releasing dental materials clinically effective on caries control? Dent Mater Off Publ Acad Dent Mater. 2016;32:323–33.Google Scholar
- Dionysopoulos D, Koliniotou-Koumpia E, Helvatzoglou-Antoniades M, et al. In vitro inhibition of enamel demineralisation by fluoride-releasing restorative materials and dental adhesives. Oral Health Prev Dent. 2016;14:371–80.Google Scholar
- Ferracane JL, Mitchem JC, Adey JD. Fluoride penetration into the hybrid layer from a dentin adhesive. Am J Dent. 1998;11:23–8.Google Scholar
- Jacobson A. Effect of low fluoride levels in de/remineralization solutions of pH-cycling model. Caries Res. 1991;25:230–1.Google Scholar
- Li F, Weir MD, Chen J, et al. Effect of charge density of bonding agent containing a new quaternary ammonium methacrylate on antibacterial and bonding properties. Dent Mater Off Publ Acad Dent Mater. 2014;30:433–41.Google Scholar
- Nakajima M, Okuda M, Ogata M, et al. The durability of a fluoride-releasing resin adhesive system to dentin. Oper Dent. 2003;28:186–92.Google Scholar
- Nedeljkovic I, Teughels W, De Munck J, et al. Is secondary caries with composites a material-based problem? Dent Mater Off Publ Acad Dent Mater. 2015;31:e247–77.Google Scholar
- Pereira-Cenci T, Cenci MS, Fedorowicz Z, et al. Antibacterial agents in composite restorations for the prevention of dental caries. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2013;3:CD007819.Google Scholar
- Peris AR, Mitsui FHO, Lobo MM, et al. Adhesive systems and secondary caries formation: Assessment of dentin bond strength, caries lesions depth and fluoride release. Dent Mater Off Publ Acad Dent Mater. 2007;23:308–16.Google Scholar
- Shinohara MS, De Goes MF, Schneider LFJ, et al. Fluoride-containing adhesive: durability on dentin bonding. Dent Mater Off Publ Acad Dent Mater. 2009;25:1383–91.Google Scholar
- Thomaidis S, Kakaboura A, Mueller WD, et al. Mechanical properties of contemporary composite resins and their interrelations. Dent Mater Off Publ Acad Dent Mater. 2013;29:e132–41.Google Scholar
- Wiegand A, Buchalla W, Attin T. Review on fluoride-releasing restorative materials–fluoride release and uptake characteristics, antibacterial activity and influence on caries formation. Dent Mater Off Publ Acad Dent Mater. 2007;23:343–62.Google Scholar