Ingestion of a RPE activation key: Why do these accidents still happen?
To draw attention and increase professional awareness about the potentially serious complications that may occur when these misfortunes happen and to what actions could be implemented to avoid such accidents.
The present case report is of an accidental ingestion of a rapid maxillary expander (RPE) activation key in a cardiac patient and the subsequent diagnostic confirmation with radiographs and the management of this accident thereafter.
On the third day after the accidental ingestion of the RPE key, the patient’s parents reported that the key was expelled in the stools without further complication.
Ingestion of foreign bodies is a potential complication during orthodontic treatment. These types of accidents may cause serious consequences to the patient, especially if there is a pre-existing systemic condition, such as heart disease or respiratory problems.
KeywordsIngestion Foreign bodies Orthodontic treatment Maxillary expansion Child
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
The authors declare that they have no conflict of interest.
Human and animal rights
This article does not contain any studies with human participants or animals performed by any of the authors.
- Hass AJ. Long-term posttreatment evaluation of rapid palatal expasion. Angle Orthod. 1980;50(3):189–217.Google Scholar