An in vitro assessment of fluoride uptake by tooth enamel from four different fluoride dentifrices
- 230 Downloads
The aim of this study was to evaluate fluoride uptake by tooth enamel with four different fluoride dentifrices.
Sixty human premolars extracted for orthodontic purpose were selected for the study. The teeth were covered with nail varnish leaving a window of 4 × 4 mm on the enamel surface of the buccal and lingual sides. The teeth were demineralised and were divided into four groups with 15 teeth in each group. The buccal window served as experimental and the lingual as control. The teeth were immersed in toothpaste slurry containing: sodium fluoride (Group A); sodium monofluorophosphate (Group B); stannous fluoride (Group C) and amine fluoride (Group D). The fluoride content in the etched superficial enamel layer in the windows was analysed using a fluoride ion-specific electrode.
Within the parameters of this study, the uptake of fluoride was statistically significant in Group D (p < 0.05). The uptake of fluoride by tooth enamel in an increasing order was Group A < Group B < Group C < Group D.
The study showed that enamel treated with amine fluoride had the highest fluoride uptake.
KeywordsFluoride dentifrice Remineralisation Tooth enamel
- Altenberger MJ, Bernhart J, Schicha TD, Wrbas KT, Hellwig E. Comparison of in vitro fluoride uptake from whitening toothpastes and a conventional toothpaste in demineralised enamel. Schweiz Monatsschr Zahnmed. 2010;120(1):104–8.Google Scholar
- Arnold WH, Dorrow A, Langenhorst S, et al. Effect of fluoride toothpastes on enamel demineralization. BMC Oral Health (serial online) 2006 June (cited 2006 June);6(8):(6 screens). http://www.biomedcentral.com/1472-6831/6/8.
- Klimek J. Fluoride uptake in dental enamel following the use of NaF and amine fluoride toothpastes—an in situ study. Oralprophylaxe. 1998;20(4):192–6.Google Scholar
- Schmid H. Chemie und Oberflächenwirkung der aminfluoride. Dtsch Zahnärzth Z. 1983;1:9–13.Google Scholar
- Stewart RE, Barber TK, Troutman KC, Wei SHY. Pediatric dentistry—Scientific foundations and clinical practice. St Louis(MI): Mosby; 1982.Google Scholar
- Tóth Z, Gintner Z, Banoczy J. Effect of different fluoride-containing toothpastes on human dental enamel in vitro. Caries Res. 1998;32:275–6.Google Scholar
- Zero DT. Dentifrices, mouthwashes, and remineralization/caries arrestment strategies. BMC Oral Health. (serial online) 2006 July (cited 2006 July); 6(S9):(13 screens). http://www.biomedcentral.com/1472-6831-6-S1-S9.