Next Generation Functional Surfaces for Large Bore Piston Rings
- 38 Downloads
Piston rings are key components in highly loaded two- and four-stroke industrial engines. As one of the leading piston ring suppliers for large bore engines, Federal-Mogul Powertrain continuously improves the functional surfaces of these components. New technologies are being used to develop high-performance functional surfaces with optimized properties to meet the challenges of current and future engine development trends and fuels.
Requirements for Large Piston Rings and Industrial Engines
Modern Large Bore Engines (LBEs) have to meet similar operating requirements as automotive engines and must survive in a highly competitive environment. While the issue of environmentally friendly resource efficiency is becoming increasingly important, operating costs are the most significant development driver. At the same time, four-stroke engines are becoming more flexible, mainly in terms of fuels and operating cycles, while two-stroke engines are subject to heavy cost pressure and...
- Cantow, F.G.: Piston Rings for Large Bore Engines. 24th CIMAC World Congress on Combustion Engine Technology for Ship Propulsion, Power Generation, Rail Traction, Kyoto, Japan, 2004Google Scholar
- Christensen, O.: Cylinder lubrication of two-stroke crosshead marine diesel engines. In: Wärtsilä Technical Journal 2010, No. 2, pp. 39–48Google Scholar
- McGeary, T.; Chew, F.; Fogh, J.W.: Investigations into abrasive and corrosive wear mechanisms of pistons and liners in large bore 2-stroke diesel engine cylinders. 24th CIMAC World Congress on Combustion Engine Technology for Ship Propulsion, Power Generation, Rail Traction, Kyoto, Japan, 2004Google Scholar
- International Convention for the Prevention of Pollution from Ships, MARPOL 73/78, Annex VI. MEPC, IMO, London, 2008Google Scholar
- Lausmann, G.A.; Unruh, J.N.M.: Die galvanische Verchromung. 2nd ed. Saulgau: Leuze, 2006Google Scholar
- Esser, J.; Linde, R.; Münchow, F.: Diamond-Reinforced Running Surface for Combustion Rings. In: MTZworldwide 65 (2004), No. 7–8, pp. 27–28Google Scholar
- Hoppe, S.; Mittler, R.; Dörnenburg, F.T.H.; Meske, R.: Contribution of Advanced Piston and Ring Design and Coatings on Friction Reduction in Future Diesel Engines. 22nd Aachen Colloquium Automobile and Engine Technology, 2013Google Scholar