An Enhanced Soft Computing Control Technique for Mitigation of Voltage Perturbations in Utility Voltage
In a time when customized power becomes a need, handling power quality issues is a major concern. Improving power quality is the major task, and in the early days, various devices were used to achieve this task. But nowadays active filters are used for power quality improvement. Series active filters are used for power quality improvements, and in the proposed work, a control scheme is proposed for series active filter which will generate reference signal to voltage inverter to compensate voltage disturbances. The series active filter can compensate for voltage sag and swell. The control scheme is developed using fuzzy logic-based controller. The fuzzy logic-based controller can handle various dynamic changes. To compare the performance, the proposed scheme is implemented on a distributed computing environment with clustered approach. Each phase of the fuzzy sub-system is implemented using sub-cluster architecture. To carry out the task, Java framework is used to program the sub-clusters. RMI and TCP/IP communication schemes are used for inter- and intra-cluster communications, respectively. The results are compared against the simulated schemes as well as FPGA-based implementations. Analysis of the results indicates that the proposed scheme performs better in many contexts.
KeywordsController Dynamic voltage regulator Fuzzy systems Voltage variations
- Arrilaga, J., Bradley, D. A., & Bodger, P. S. (1985). Power system harmonics. Chichester: Wiley.Google Scholar
- Manitha, P. V., & Nair, M. G. (2016). Performance analysis of different custom power devices in a power park. In Biennial international conference on PESTSE 2016. https://doi.org/10.1109/PESTSE.2016.7516504.
- Manitha, P. V., Raji, S., & Nair, M. G. (2015). Performance analysis of different control algorithms for series active filter. In IEEE ICECCT 2015. https://doi.org/10.1109/ICECCT.2015.7225966.
- Shi, J., Noshadi, A., Kalam, A., & Shi, P. (2014). Genetic algorithm optimized fuzzy control of DSTATCOM for improving power quality. In AUPEC, 2014. https://doi.org/10.1109/AUPEC.2014.6966528.
- Shi, J., Noshadi, A., Kalam, A., & Shi, P. (2015). Fuzzy logic control of DSTATCOM for improving power quality and dynamic performance. In AUPEC, 2015. https://doi.org/10.1109/AUPEC.2015.7324796.
- Sindhu, M. R. et al. (2008). An ANN based digital controller for a three-phase active power filter. In POWERCON. https://doi.org/10.1109/ICPST.2008.4745322.
- Sindhu, S., Sindhu, M. R., & Nambiar, T. N. P. (2016). Implementation of photovoltaic integrated unified power conditioner for power quality enhancement. In IEEE PEDES 2016. https://doi.org/10.1109/PEDES.2016.7914305.