Autonomous Landing of UAV Based on Artificial Neural Network Supervised by Fuzzy Logic
- 18 Downloads
Autonomous Unmanned Aerial Vehicles (UAVs) become an important field of research in which multiple applications can be designed, such as surveillance, deliveries, and others. Thus, studies aiming to improve the performance of these vehicles are being proposed: from new sensing solutions to more robust control techniques. Additionally, the autonomous UAV has challenges in flight stages as the landing. This procedure needs to be performed safely with a reduced error margin in static and dynamic targets. To solve this imperative issue, many applications with computer vision and control theory have been developed. Therefore, this paper presents an alternative method to train a multilayer perceptron neural network based on fuzzy Mamdani logic to control the landing of a UAV on an artificial marker. The advantage of this method is the reduction in computational complexity while maintaining the characteristics and intelligence of the fuzzy logic controller. Results are presented with simulation and real tests for static and dynamic landing spots. For the real experiments, a quadcopter with an onboard computer and ROS is used.
KeywordsUAV Vision-based landing ANN Fuzzy logic controller Onboard systems
The authors would like to thank CAPES, CNPq, FAPEMIG, UFJF, PPEE, INERGE, ANEEL and CTG Brasil for their support.
- Abu-Jbara, K., Alheadary, W., Sundaramorthi, G., & Claudel, C. (2015). A robust vision-based runway detection and tracking algorithm for automatic UAV landing. In 2015 International conference on unmanned aircraft systems (ICUAS) (pp. 1148–1157). IEEE.Google Scholar
- Amazon.com. Amazon prime air. (2015). http://www.amazon.com/b?node=8037720011.
- Benavidez, P., Lambert, J., Jaimes, A., & Jamshidi, M. (2014). Landing of an ardrone 2.0 quadcopter on a mobile base using fuzzy logic. In World Automation Congress (WAC), 2014 (pp. 803–812). IEEE.Google Scholar
- Carvalho, J. P., Jucá, M., Menezes, A., Olivi, L., Bessa, A., & Marcato, A. (2016). Landing an UAV in a dynamical target using fuzzy control and computer vision. In Congresso Brasileiro de Automática (CBA), 2016.Google Scholar
- Carvalho, J. P., Jucá, M., Menezes, A., Olivi, L., Bessa, A., & Marcato, A. (2017). Lecture notes in electrical engineering, chapter Autonomous UAV outdoor flight controlled by an embedded system using Odroid and ROS, (402 ed, pp. 423–437). Springer.Google Scholar
- Cocchioni, F., Pierfelice, V., Benini, A., Mancini, A., Frontoni, E., Zingaretti, P., Ippoliti, G., & Longhi, S. (2014). Unmanned ground and aerial vehicles in extended range indoor and outdoor missions. In 2014 International conference on unmanned aircraft systems (ICUAS) (pp. 374–382). IEEE.Google Scholar
- Gautam, A., Sujit, P., & Saripalli, S. (2014). A survey of autonomous landing techniques for UAVs. In 2014 International conference on unmanned aircraft systems (ICUAS), (pp. 1210–1218). IEEE.Google Scholar
- Guo, X., Denman, S., Fookes, C., Mejias, L., & Sridharan, S. (Nov 2014) Automatic UAV forced landing site detection using machine learning. In 2014 International conference on digital lmage computing: Techniques and applications (DlCTA) (pp. 1–7). https://doi.org/10.1109/DICTA.2014.7008097.
- HardKernel. Odroid. (2015). http://www.hardkernel.com/. Accessed 1 Aug 2018.
- Lee, D., Ryan, T., & Kim, H. J. (2012). Autonomous landing of a vtol UAV on a moving platform using image-based visual servoing. In 2012 IEEE international conference on robotics and automation (ICRA) (pp. 971–976). IEEE.Google Scholar
- Lee, H., Jung, S., & Shim, D. H. (2016). Vision-based UAV landing on the moving vehicle. In 2016 International conference on unmanned aircraft systems (ICUAS) (pp. 1–7). IEEE.Google Scholar
- Meier, L., Honegger, D., & Pollefeys, M. (2015). Px4: A node-based multithreaded open source robotics framework for deeply embedded platforms. In 2015 IEEE international conference on robotics and automation (ICRA) (pp. 6235–6240). https://doi.org/10.1109/ICRA.2015.7140074.
- Meier, L., Tanskanen, P., Fraundorfer, F., & Pollefeys, M. (2011). The pixhawk open-source computer vision framework for mavs. The International Archives of the Photogrammetry, Remote Sensing and Spatial Information Sciences, 38(1), C22.Google Scholar
- Moore, D. (2007). The basic practice of statistics. New York: W.H. Freeman. ISBN 9780716774631.Google Scholar
- Olivares-Mendez, M. A., Kannan, S., & Voos, H. (2015). Vision based fuzzy control autonomous landing with UAVs: From v-rep to real experiments. In 2015 23th Mediterranean conference on control and automation (MED) (pp. 14–21). IEEE.Google Scholar
- Pereira, G. A. S., Resende, G. D., & Gonçalves, V. M. (2018). Pouso de veículos aéreos utilizando campos vetoriais e visãocomputacional [Landing of aircraft using vector fields and computervision]. In XXII Congresso Brasileiro de Automatica. SBA.Google Scholar
- QGroundControl. Mavlink. (2016). http://qgroundcontrol.org/mavlink/start. Accessed 1 Aug 2018.
- Rathinam, S., Almeida, P., Kim, Z., Jackson, S., Tinka, A., Grossman, W., & Sengupta, R. (2007). Autonomous searching and tracking of a river using an uav. In American control conference, 2007. ACC’07 (pp. 359–364). IEEE.Google Scholar
- ROS. Robot operating system. (2015). www.ros.org/. Accessed 1 Aug 2018.
- Saska, M., Krajnik, T., & Pfeucil, L. (2012). Cooperative micro-UAV-UGV autonomous indoor surveillance. In International multi-conference on systems, signals and devices (pp. 1–6).Google Scholar
- Yang, S., Ying, J., Lu, Y., & Li, Z. (2015). Precise quadrotor autonomous landing with srukf vision perception. In 2015 IEEE international conference on robotics and automation (ICRA) (pp. 2196–2201). IEEE.Google Scholar