Modeling Using Colored Petri Net of Communication Networks Based on IEC 61850 in a Microgrid Context
- 87 Downloads
The increasing penetration of distributed energy resources (DERs) and local/small-scale power systems, named microgrids (MG), becomes a growing challenge for distribution system operators (DSOs). In general, the DER units and MG operation are based on a decentralized and time-critical decisions, which performs a complex behavior. To deal with this complex distributed system, the information and communication schemes are essential. Considering this, the IEC 61580 standard shows up as an appropriate solution, as it fulfills all related specifications of distributed systems. Since building a test bench becomes impractical due to the complexity and costs, the chosen solution is simulation. Therefore, this work presents a methodology that can aid the DSOs in the process of design and performance analysis of IEC 61850 networks applied to microgrid context. For this, the colored Petri net is proposed as the formal tool in order to have an easy and comprehensive modeling/simulation strategy. To validate the proposed methodology, a scenario considering the islanding detection control has been investigated with some numerical results.
KeywordsCommunication analysis IEC 61850 Microgrid Colored petri net
The first two authors would like to thank the Coordenação de Aperfeiçoamento de Pessoal de Nível Superior that supports the author’s research by means of a scholarship. All authors also acknowledge the support offered by Federal University of Itajubá.
- Aalst van der , W. M., Stahl, C., Westergaard, M. (2013). Strategies for modeling complex processes using colored Petri nets. In Transactions on petri nets and other models of concurrency (Vol. vii, pp. 6–55). Springer.Google Scholar
- Ali, I., & Suhail Hussain, S. M. (2016). Communication design for energy management automation in microgrid. IEEE Transactions on Smart Grid, 9(3), 2055–2064.Google Scholar
- Commission, I. E. (2003). Communication networks and systems in substations - Part 1: Introduction and overview (1st ed.). France: IEC.Google Scholar
- Commission, I. E. (2011). Communication networks and systems in substations—Part 5: Communication requirements for functions and device models (2nd ed.). France: IEC.Google Scholar
- CPN Tools. (2016). CPN Tools. http://cpntools.org/. Accessed October 7th, 2016.
- Das, N., Aung, T. T., Islam, S. (2013). Process-to-bay level peer-to-peer network delay in IEC 61850 substation communication systems. In Power engineering conference (AUPEC), 2013 Australasian Universities. IEEE, pp. 1–6.Google Scholar
- Department of Energy, Office of Electricity Delivery and Energy Reliability (2016) Summary Report: 2012 DOE Microgrid Workshop. Retrieved September 02, from https://www.energy.gov/oe/office-electricity.
- Gaouda, A. M., Abdrabou, A., Shaban, K., Khairalla, M., Abdrabou, A. M., El Shatshat, R., et al. (2016). A smart IEC 61850 merging unit for impending fault detection in transformers. IEEE Transactions on Smart Grid, 9(3), 1812–1821.Google Scholar
- Georg, H., Dorsch, N., Putzke, M., Wietfeld, C. (2013). Performance evaluation of time-critical communication networks for smart grids based on IEC 61850. In IEEE conference on computer communications workshops (INFOCOM WKSHPS). IEEE, pp. 43–48.Google Scholar
- Khan, N. A., Ahmad, F., Khan, S. A. (2014) Coloured Petri net modeling and analysis for community based wireless mesh networks. In: IEEE International Conference on Systems, Man and Cybernetics (SMC) (pp. 139–144). IEEE.Google Scholar
- Riverbed. (2018). OPNET—Riverbed Modeler. https://www.riverbed.com/products/steelcentral/steelcentral-riverbed-modeler.html. Accessed May 16th, 2018.
- Sidhu, T., Yin, Y. (2006). IED modelling for IEC 61850 based substation automation system performance simulation. In: Power engineering society general meeting. IEEE.Google Scholar
- U.S. Department of Energy. (2016) Smart Grid. http://energy.gov/oe/services/technology-development/smart-grid. Accessed October 27.
- Wells, L., (2002). Performance analysis using coloured Petri nets. In Proceedings of 10th IEEE international symposium on modeling, analysis and simulation of computer and telecommunications systems, 2002. MASCOTS 2002 (pp. 217–221). IEEE.Google Scholar
- Zeineb, M., Sajeh, Z., & Belhassen, Z. (2016). Generic colored Petri nets modeling approach for performance analysis of smart grid system. In 2016 7th International Renewable Energy Congress (IREC) (pp. 1–6). IEEE.Google Scholar