Undersampling Control for a DC–DC Boost and Forward Dual Active Bridge for a Single-Phase Grid-Connected PV Converter
- 145 Downloads
Digital control methods and digital controllers are widely adopted in power electronics applications due to technical and economic advantages against its analog counterparts. Switched-mode power converters with switching frequencies of hundreds of kilohertz to megahertz impose a challenge such as less sampling time in which control algorithm calculations must be realized in digital implementations. Software-based controllers are designed and implemented in code lines executed in general-purpose DSP, being the most preferred digital implementation. Although high-frequency applications with more complex algorithm calculations restrict the maximum allowable sampling frequency, that can be even below the converter switching frequency. The study, analysis and design in such special condition is a main contribution of the paper. Without loss of generality, a software-based digital design under processing speed limitation is developed for two DC–DC power converters that compose a single-phase grid-connected PV converter: (1) a boost converter and (2) a unidirectional power flow DAB topology.
KeywordsDC–DC converter Forward dual active bridge Silicon carbide Undersampling Z-domain controllers Hardware-in-the-loop
The authors would like to thank Typhoon HIL for the support and the Brazilian federal governments agencies CAPES and CNPq, and the Minas Gerais state government agency FAPEMIG
- Arunkumari, T., Indragandhi, V., & Sreejith, S. (2018). Topologies of a DC–DC converter for micro-grid application and implementation of parallel quadratic boost converter (pp. 633–644). Berlin: Springer.Google Scholar
- Bhattacharjee, A., Saha, S., Elangovan, D., & Arunkumar, G. (2018). Naturally clamped, isolated, high-gain DC–DC converter with voltage doubler for battery charging of EVs and PHEVs (pp. 439–450). Berlin: Springer.Google Scholar
- Cardoso, A. A. R. F. E., Foureaux, N. C., Brito, J. A. S., & Cardoso, F. B. J. (2015). SiC based cascaded multilevel converter for solar applications: Downscaled prototype development. In IEEE 13th Brazilian power electronics conference and 1st southern power electronics conference (COBEP/SPEC) 2015 (pp. 1–6).Google Scholar
- Corradini, L., Maksimović, D., Mattavelli, P., & Zane, R. (2015). Digital control of high-frequency switched-mode power converters. arXiv:1011.1669v3.
- Cougo, B., Meynard, T., & Schneider, H. (2012). Reconfigurable dual active bridge converter for aircraft applications. In Electrical systems for aircraft, railway and ship propulsion (ESARS), IEEE (pp. 1–6).Google Scholar
- Genic, A., Gartner, P., Almeida, M., & Zuber, D. (2017). Hardware in the loop testing of shipboard power system’s management, control and protection. In 2017 IEEE vehicle power and propulsion conference (VPPC), IEEE (pp. 1–6). https://doi.org/10.1109/VPPC.2017.8331026, http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/document/8331026/.
- Giliberti, G., De Grassi, A., Marchei, D., Lai, C., & Ragnoni, A. (2017). Applying hardware in the loop to designing, integrating, verifying and validating the control system of new aircraft engines. In EVI-GTI conference on gas turbine instrumentation (GTI 2017), Institution of engineering and technology (pp. 3–6). https://doi.org/10.1049/cp.2017.0317.
- Hao, P., Maksimovic, D., Prodic, A., & Alarcon, E. (2004). Modeling of quantization effects in digitally controlled DC–DC converters. In IEEE 35th annual power electronics specialists conference (IEEE Cat. No. 04CH37551), (pp. 4312–4318). https://doi.org/10.1109/PESC.2004.1354763, http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/document/1354763/.
- Kloc, M., Weigel, R., Koelpin, A. (2016). Making real-time hardware-in-the-loop testing of automotive electronic control units wireless. In International conference on advanced technologies for communications (ATC), IEEE (pp. 407–412). https://doi.org/10.1109/ATC.2016.7764816.
- Lukic, Z., Kun, Wang, & Prodic, A. (2005). High-frequency digital controller for dc-dc converters based on multi-bit \(\Sigma \)-\(\Delta \) pulse-width modulation. In Twentieth annual IEEE applied power electronics conference and exposition, 2005. (Vol. 1, pp 35–40). Canberra: APEC. https://doi.org/10.1109/APEC.2005.1452883, http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/document/1452883/.
- Machado, A., Parreiras, T., Amaral, F., Lobato, G., Brito, J., Pires, I. A., & Braz, C. F. (2017). Control of a SiC-based cascaded multilevel converter cell for solar applications. In 8th IEEE international symposium on power electronics for distributed generation systems (PEDG).Google Scholar
- Ortiz, G., Bortis, D., Kolar, J. W., & Apeldoorn, O. (2012). Soft-switching techniques for medium-voltage isolated bidirectional DC/DC converters in solid state transformers. In IECON 2012-38th annual conference on ieee industrial electronics society. IEEE (pp. 5233–5240).Google Scholar
- Pandit, J. K., Sakthisudhursun, B., & Aware, M. V. (2014). PR controller implementation using double update mode digital PWM for grid connected inverter. In IEEE international conference on power electronics, drives and energy systems (PEDES) 2014 (pp. 1–6). https://doi.org/10.1109/PEDES.2014.7042014. http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/document/7042014/.
- Parreiras, T., Machado, A., Amaral, F., Lobato, G., Brito, J., & Cardoso, F. B. J. (2017). Forward dual-active-bridge solid state transformer for a SiC-based cascated multilevel converter cell in solar applications. In IEEE applied power electronics conference, 2017 (pp. 2989–2996). Canberra: APEC.Google Scholar
- Rosekeit, M., Joebges, P., Lelie, M., Sauer, D. U., & De Doncker, R. W. (2014). Undersampling control of a bidirectional cascaded buck + boost dc–dc converter. In IEEE international power electronics conference, IPEC-Hiroshima-ECCE Asia (pp. 2729–2736).Google Scholar
- Williams, T., Fuller, J., Schneider, K., Palmintier, B., Lundstrom, B., & Chakraborty, S. (2014). Examining system-wide impacts of solar PV control systems with a power hardware-in-the-loop platform. In 2014 IEEE 40th photovoltaic specialist conference (PVSC) (pp. 2082–2087). https://doi.org/10.1109/PVSC.2014.6925336. http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/document/6925336/
- Wilson, P. R., & Member, S. (2017). Advanced aircraft power electronics systems-the impact of simulation, standards and wide band-gap devices. CES Transactions on Electrical Machines and Systems, 1(1), 72–82.Google Scholar
- Zeng, J., Qiao, W., & Qu, L. (2014). An isolated multiport bidirectional DC–DC converter for PV-battery-DC microgrid applications. In Energy conversion congress and exposition (ECCE), 2014 IEEE (pp. 4978–4984).Google Scholar
- Zhang, J., & Sha, D. (2016). A current-fed dual active bridge DC–DC converter using dual PWM plus double phase shifted control with equal duty cycles. In 2016 Asian conference on energy, power and transportation electrification (ACEPT) (pp. 1–6).Google Scholar