Prognostic Significance of Low Systolic Blood Pressure at Discharge in Patients with Heart Failure and Preserved Ejection Fraction
- 86 Downloads
Systolic blood pressure (SBP) is emerging as a predictor of outcome in chronic heart failure and low SBP has been shown to be related to higher mortality.
To investigate the relationship between low SBP and long-term outcome in patients with heart failure with preserved ejection fraction (HFpEF).
We use prospectively collected data and recruited 297 patients with chronic HFpEF to investigate the relationship between low SBP at discharge and long-term outcome. SBP was recorded at discharge and analysed in a Cox regression model. The endpoint of interest was death from any cause.
In follow-up period, the mortality rates were 61.4% for SBP <100 mmHg, and the survival rates decreased in SBP <100 mmHg as compared with the other SBP strata by using Kaplan–Meier analysis (χ 2 = 22.95, log rank P < 0.001). Compared to SBP 140–159 mmHg (reference category), the unadjusted hazard ratios for mortality were 3.29 (95% CI 1.45–7.47, P = 0.004) for SBP <100 mmHg. On multivariate analysis, adjustment for all variables, there still was an inverse relation between SBP and all cause mortality with a threshold at 100 mmHg (P = 0.002) and the adjusted hazard ratios were 3.16 (95% CI 1.15–8.68, P = 0.026) for SBP <100 mmHg.
SBP at discharge is an independent predictor of long-term outcome and affects all-cause mortality, and SBP <100 mmHg at discharge is associated with excess long-term mortality in HFpEF.
KeywordsHeart failure Diastolic function Systolic blood pressure Mortality
Compliance with Ethical Standards
This study was approved by the Human Subjects Review Committee at Chinese People’s Liberation Army General Hospital in Beijing, China. Individual patient consent was not required, but patients were informed of entry into the study.
Conflict of interest
There are no conflicts of interest.
- 1.Abraham WT, Fonarow GC, Albert NM, Stough WG, Gheorghiade M, Greenberg BH, O’Connor CM, Sun JL, Yancy CW, Young JB, OPTIMIZE-HF Investigators and Coordinators. Predictors of in-hospital mortality in patients hospitalized for heart failure: insights from the Organized Program to Initiate Lifesaving Treatment in Hospitalized Patients with Heart Failure (OPTIMIZE-HF). J Am Coll Cardiol. 2008;52:347–56.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 3.Rouleau JL, Roecker EB, Tendera M, Mohacsi P, Krum H, Katus HA, Fowler MB, Coats AJ, Castaigne A, Scherhag A, Holcslaw TL, Packer M, Carvedilol Prospective Randomized Cumulative Survival Study Group. Influence of pretreatment systolic blood pressure on the effect of carvedilol in patients with severe chronic heart failure: the Carvedilol Prospective Randomized Cumulative Survival (COPERNICUS) study. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2004;43:1423–9.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 4.Anand IS, Tam SW, Rector TS, Taylor AL, Sabolinski ML, Archambault WT, Adams KF, Olukotun AY, Worcel M, Cohn JN. Influence of blood pressure on the effectiveness of a fixed-dose combination of isosorbide dinitrate and hydralazine in the African-American Heart Failure Trial. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2007;49:32–9.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 8.Fonarow GC, Stough WG, Abraham WT, Albert NM, Gheorghiade M, Greenberg BH, O’Connor CM, Sun JL, Yancy CW, Young JB, OPTIMIZE-HF Investigators and Hospitals. Characteristics, treatments, and outcomes of patients with preserved systolic function hospitalized for heart failure: a report from the OPTIMIZE-HF Registry. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2007;50:768–77.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 9.Ponikowski P, Voors AA, Anker SD, Bueno H, Cleland JG, Coats AJ, Falk V, González-Juanatey JR, Harjola VP, Jankowska EA, Jessup M, Linde C, Nihoyannopoulos P, Parissis JT, Pieske B, Riley JP, Rosano GM, Ruilope LM, Ruschitzka F, Rutten FH, van der Meer P, Authors/Task Force Members. 2016 ESC Guidelines for the diagnosis and treatment of acute and chronic heart failure: The Task Force for the diagnosis and treatment of acute and chronic heart failure of the European Society of Cardiology (ESC). Developed with the special contribution of the Heart Failure Association (HFA) of the ESC. Eur J Heart Fail. 2016;18:891–975.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 10.Gheorghiade M, Abraham WT, Albert NM, Greenberg BH, O’Connor CM, She L, Stough WG, Yancy CW, Young JB, Fonarow GC, OPTIMIZE-HF Investigators and Coordinators. Systolic blood pressure at admission, clinical characteristics, and outcomes in patients hospitalized with acute heart failure. JAMA. 2006;296:2217–26.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 11.Fonarow GC, Adams KF Jr, Abraham WT, Yancy CW, Boscardin WJ, ADHERE Scientific Advisory Committee, Study Group, and Investigators. Risk stratification for in-hospital mortality in acutely decompensated heart failure: classification and regression tree analysis. JAMA. 2005;293:572–80.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 12.Núñez J, Núñez E, Fonarow GC, Sanchis J, Bodí V, Bertomeu-González V, Miñana G, Merlos P, Bertomeu-Martínez V, Redón J, Chorro FJ, Llàcer A. Differential prognostic effect of systolic blood pressure on mortality according to left-ventricular function in patients with acute heart failure. Eur J Heart Fail. 2010;12:38–44.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 16.Kajimoto K, Sato N, Sakata Y, Takano T, Acute Decompensated Heart Failure Syndromes (ATTEND) Investigators. Relationship between systolic blood pressure and preserved or reduced ejection fraction at admission in patients hospitalized for acute heart failure syndromes. Int J Cardiol. 2013;168:4790–5.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 17.Adams KF Jr, Fonarow GC, Emerman CL, LeJemtel TH, Costanzo MR, Abraham WT, Berkowitz RL, Galvao M, Horton DP, ADHERE Scientific Advisory Committee and Investigators. Characteristics and outcomes of patients hospitalized for heart failure in the United States: rationale, design, and preliminary observations from the first 100,000 cases in the Acute Decompensated Heart Failure National Registry (ADHERE). Am Heart J. 2005;149:209–16.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 18.Paulus WJ, Tschöpe C, Sanderson JE, Rusconi C, Flachskampf FA, Rademakers FE, Marino P, Smiseth OA, De Keulenaer G, Leite-Moreira AF, Borbély A, Edes I, Handoko ML, Heymans S, Pezzali N, Pieske B, Dickstein K, Fraser AG, Brutsaert DL. How to diagnose diastolic heart failure: a consensus statement on the diagnosis of heart failure with normal left ventricular ejection fraction by the Heart Failure and Echocardiography Associations of the European Society of Cardiology. Eur Heart J. 2007;28:2539–50.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 19.Nagueh SF, Smiseth OA, Appleton CP, Byrd BF 3rd, Dokainish H, Edvardsen T, Flachskampf FA, Gillebert TC, Klein AL, Lancellotti P, Marino P, Oh JK, Popescu BA, Waggoner AD. Recommendations for the evaluation of left ventricular diastolic function by echocardiography: an update from the American Society of Echocardiography and the European Association of Cardiovascular Imaging. J Am Soc Echocardiogr. 2016;29:277–314.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 20.McMurray JJ, Adamopoulos S, Anker SD, Auricchio A, Böhm M, Dickstein K, Falk V, Filippatos G, Fonseca C, Gomez-Sanchez MA, Jaarsma T, Køber L, Lip GY, Maggioni AP, Parkhomenko A, Pieske BM, Popescu BA, Rønnevik PK, Rutten FH, Schwitter J, Seferovic P, Stepinska J, Trindade PT, Voors AA, Zannad F, Zeiher A, Task Force for the Diagnosis and Treatment of Acute and Chronic Heart Failure 2012 of the European Society of Cardiology, Bax JJ, Baumgartner H, Ceconi C, Dean V, Deaton C, Fagard R, Funck-Brentano C, Hasdai D, Hoes A, Kirchhof P, Knuuti J, Kolh P, McDonagh T, Moulin C, Popescu BA, Reiner Z, Sechtem U, Sirnes PA, Tendera M, Torbicki A, Vahanian A, Windecker S, McDonagh T, Sechtem U, Bonet LA, Avraamides P, Ben Lamin HA, Brignole M, Coca A, Cowburn P, Dargie H, Elliott P, Flachskampf FA, Guida GF, Hardman S, Iung B, Merkely B, Mueller C, Nanas JN, Nielsen OW, Orn S, Parissis JT, Ponikowski P, ESC Committee for Practice Guidelines. ESC guidelines for the diagnosis and treatment of acute and chronic heart failure 2012: the task force for the diagnosis and treatment of acute and chronic heart failure 2012 of the European Society of Cardiology. Developed in collaboration with the Heart Failure Association (HFA) of the ESC. Eur J Heart Fail. 2012;14(8):803–69.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 24.Soliman EZ, Ambrosius WT, Cushman WC, Zhang ZM, Bates JT, Neyra JA, Carson TY, Tamariz L, Ghazi L, Cho ME, Shapiro BP, He J, Fine LJ, Lewis CE, SPRINT Research Study Group. Effect of intensive blood pressure lowering on left ventricular hypertrophy in patients with hypertension: the Systolic Blood Pressure Intervention (SPRINT) Trial. Circulation. 2017. doi: 10.1161/CIRCULATIONAHA.117.028441.Google Scholar
- 25.Yancy CW, Jessup M, Bozkurt B, Butler J, Casey DE Jr, Colvin MM, Drazner MH, Filippatos GS, Fonarow GC, Givertz MM, Hollenberg SM, Lindenfeld J, Masoudi FA, McBride PE, Peterson PN, Stevenson LW, Westlake C. 2017 ACC/AHA/HFSA focused update of the 2013 ACCF/AHA guideline for the management of heart failure: a report of the American College of Cardiology/American Heart Association Task Force on Clinical Practice Guidelines and the Heart Failure Society of America. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2017. doi: 10.1161/CIR.0000000000000509.Google Scholar
- 26.Pfeffer MA, Claggett B, Assmann SF, Boineau R, Anand IS, Clausell N, Desai AS, Diaz R, Fleg JL, Gordeev I, Heitner JF, Lewis EF, O’Meara E, Rouleau JL, Probstfield JL, Shaburishvili T, Shah SJ, Solomon SD, Sweitzer NK, McKinlay SM, Pitt B. Regional variation in patients and outcomes in the Treatment of Preserved Cardiac Function Heart Failure With an Aldosterone Antagonist (TOPCAT) trial. Circulation. 2015;131:34–42.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 27.Yusuf S, Pfeffer MA, Swedberg K, Granger CB, Held P, McMurray JJ, Michelson EL, Olofsson B, Ostergren J, CHARM Investigators and Committees. Effects of candesartan in patients with chronic heart failure and preserved left-ventricular ejection fraction: the CHARM-Preserved Trial. Lancet. 2003;362:777–81.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 29.Yancy CW, Jessup M, Bozkurt B, Butler J, Casey DE Jr, Drazner MH, Fonarow GC, Geraci SA, Horwich T, Januzzi JL, Johnson MR, Kasper EK, Levy WC, Masoudi FA, McBride PE, McMurray JJ, Mitchell JE, Peterson PN, Riegel B, Sam F, Stevenson LW, Tang WH, Tsai EJ, Wilkoff BL, American College of Cardiology Foundation, American Heart Association Task Force on Practice Guidelines. ACCF/AHA guideline for the management of heart failure: a report of the American College of Cardiology Foundation/American Heart Association Task Force on Practice Guidelines. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2013;2013(62):e147–239.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 30.Aronow WS, Fleg JL, Pepine CJ, Artinian NT, Bakris G, Brown AS, Ferdinand KC, Ann Forciea M, Frishman WH, Jaigobin C, Kostis JB, Mancia G, Oparil S, Ortiz E, Reisin E, Rich MW, Schocken DD, Weber MA, Wesley DJ. ACCF/AHA 2011 expert consensus document on hypertension in the elderly: a report of the American College of Cardiology Foundation Task Force on Clinical Expert Consensus documents developed in collaboration with the American Academy of Neurology, American Geriatrics Society, American Society for Preventive Cardiology, American Society of Hypertension, American Society of Nephrology, Association of Black Cardiologists, and European Society of Hypertension. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2011;57(20):2037–114.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 32.Aronow WS, Ahn C, Kronzon I. Effect of propranolol versus no propranolol on total mortality plus nonfatal myocardial infarction in older patients with prior myocardial infarction, congestive heart failure, and left ventricular ejection fraction > or = 40% treated with diuretics plus angiotensin-converting enzyme inhibitors. Am J Cardiol. 1997;80:207–9.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 33.van Veldhuisen DJ, Cohen-Solal A, Böhm M, Anker SD, Babalis D, Roughton M, Coats AJ, Poole-Wilson PA, Flather MD, SENIORS Investigators. Beta-blockade with nebivolol in elderly heart failure patients with impaired and preserved left ventricular ejection fraction: Data From SENIORS (Study of Effects of Nebivolol Intervention on Outcomes and Rehospitalization in Seniors With Heart Failure). J Am Coll Cardiol. 2009;53:2150–8.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 34.Piller LB, Baraniuk S, Simpson LM, Cushman WC, Massie BM, Einhorn PT, Oparil S, Ford CE, Graumlich JF, Dart RA, Parish DC, Retta TM, Cuyjet AB, Jafri SZ, Furberg CD, Saklayen MG, Thadani U, Probstfield JL, Davis BR, ALLHAT Collaborative Research Group. Long-term follow-up of participants with heart failure in the antihypertensive and lipid-lowering treatment to prevent heart attack trial (ALLHAT). Circulation. 2011;124:1811–8.CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar