Advancing Leadership in Sport: Time to ‘Actually’ Take the Blinkers Off?
KeywordsTransformational Leadership Social Dominance Servant Leader Transactional Leadership Tactical Impression Management
The authors thank the two anonymous reviewers for their detailed feedback and Dr Adam Bruton for suggesting the title of this manuscript.
Compliance with Ethical Standards
No sources of funding were used to assist in the preparation of this manuscript.
Conflict of interest
John Mills and Ian Boardley declare that they have no conflicts of interest relevant to the content of this manuscript.
- 2.Cruickshank A, Collins D. Advancing leadership in sport: time to take off the blinkers? Sports Med. 2016;46(9):1199–204.Google Scholar
- 7.Ong CW, Roberts R, Arthur, CA, et al. The leader ship is sinking: a temporal investigation of narcissistic leadership. J Pers. 2016;84(2):237–47.Google Scholar
- 8.Matosic D, Ntoumanis N, Boardley ID, et al. Narcissism and coach interpersonal style: a self-determination theory perspective. Scand J Med Sci Sports. (In press).Google Scholar
- 10.Gardner WL, Avolio BJ. The charismatic relationship: a dramaturgical perspective. Acad Manag Rev. 1998;23(1):32–58.Google Scholar
- 12.Sidanius J, Pratto F. Social dominance: an intergroup theory of social hierarchy and oppression. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press; 2001.Google Scholar
- 14.Fletcher D, Arnold R. Performance leadership and management in elite sport: current status and future directions. In: Andersen S, Houlihan B, Ronglan LT, editors. Managing elite sport systems: research and practice. London: Taylor and Francis; 2015. p. 162–81.Google Scholar
- 21.Yukl G. How leaders influence organizational effectiveness. Leadersh Q. 2006;19(1):708–22.Google Scholar
- 28.Bass BM. Leadership and performance beyond expectations. New York: Free Press; 1985.Google Scholar
- 30.Luthans F, Avolio BJ. Authentic leadership: a positive developmental approach. In: Cameron KS, Dutton JE, Quinn RE, editors. Positive organizational scholarship. San Francisco: Berrett-Koehler; 2003. p. 241–61.Google Scholar
- 32.Burns JM. Leadership. New York: Harper and Row; 1978.Google Scholar
- 35.Banks GC, McCauley KD, Gardner WL, et al. A meta-analytic review of authentic and transformational leadership: a test for redundancy. Leadersh Q. 2016;27(4):634–52.Google Scholar