Economic Evaluation for USA of Systemic Chemotherapies as First-Line Treatment of Metastatic Pancreatic Cancer
- 151 Downloads
Treatments for metastatic pancreatic cancer include monotherapy with gemcitabine (GEM); combinations of GEM with oxaliplatin (OX + GEM), cisplatin (CIS + GEM), capecitabine (CAP + GEM), or nab-paclitaxel (NAB-P + GEM); and the non-GEM combination FOLFIRINOX. Combination therapies have yielded better survival outcomes than GEM alone. A sponsor-independent economic evaluation of these regimens has not been conducted for USA.
The objective of this study was to estimate the cost utility and cost effectiveness of these regimens from the payer perspective for USA.
A three-state Markov model (progression-free, progressed disease, death) simulating the total costs and health outcomes (quality-adjusted life-years; life-years) was developed to estimate the incremental cost-utility and cost-effectiveness ratios. FOLFIRINOX clinical data were obtained from trial and indirect estimates were obtained from network meta-analyses. Lifetime horizon and 3%/year discount rates were used.
FOLFIRINOX was the most expensive regimen and GEM the least costly regimen. Compared to GEM, all but one (CIS + GEM) regimen were found to be more effective in quality-adjusted life-years and life-years. Compared to GEM, the incremental cost-utility ratios for CAP + GEM, OX-GEM, NAB-P + GEM, and FOLFIRINOX, were US$180,503, US$197,993, US$204,833, and US$265,718 per additional quality-adjusted life-year, respectively; and the incremental cost-effectiveness ratios were US$88,181, US$87,620, US$135,683, and US$167,040 per additional life-year, respectively. A probabilistic sensitivity analysis confirmed the base-case analysis.
This sponsor-independent economic evaluation for USA found that OX + GEM, CAP + GEM, FOLFIRINOX, and NAB-P + GEM, but not CIS + GEM, were more expensive but also more effective than GEM alone in terms of quality-adjusted life-years and life-years gained. The NAB-P + GEM regimen appears to be the most cost effective in USA at a willingness-to-pay threshold of US$200,000/quality-adjusted life-year.
We thank Stephanie Fletcher for her assistance in the technical preparation of the manuscript.
Concept and overall approach: MG, AM, JLB, IA. Study design: MG, IA. Interpretation of results: MG, AM, D.A, MS, BE, JLB, IA. Clinical guidance: AM, DA. Drafting of the manuscript: MG, IA. Critical review of the manuscript: AM, DA, BE, MS, JLB.
Compliance with Ethical Standards
This analysis was conducted independently and without external funding support.
Conflict of interest
Mahdi Gharaibeh, Ali McBride, David S. Alberts, Marion Slack, Brian Erstad, J. Lyle Bootman, Nimer Alsaid, and Ivo Abraham have no conflicts of interest directly relevant to the content of this article.
Data availability statement
Screenshots of the model and the calculations used to create the data are available in the electronic supplementary material.
- 4.National comprehensive cancer network guideline for patients: pancreatic cancer. 2017. https://www.nccn.org/patients/guidelines/pancreatic/#70. Accessed 4 Sept 2017.
- 6.Conroy T, Desseigne F, Ychou M, Bouché O, Guimbaud R, Bécouarn Y, Adenis A, Raoul JL, Gourgou-Bourgade S, de la Fouchardière C, Bennouna J, Bachet JB, Khemissa-Akouz F, Péré-Vergé D, Delbaldo C, Assenat E, Chauffert B, Michel P, Montoto-Grillot C, Ducreux M, Groupe Tumeurs Digestives of Unicancer, PRODIGE Intergroup. FOLFIRINOX versus gemcitabine for metastatic pancreatic cancer. N Engl J Med. 2011;364:1817–25.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 7.Von Hoff DD, Ervin T, Arena FP, Chiorean EG, Infante J, Moore M, Seay T, Tjulandin SA, Ma WW, Saleh MN, Harris M, Reni M, Dowden S, Laheru D, Bahary N, Ramanathan RK, Tabernero J, Hidalgo M, Goldstein D, Van Cutsem E, Wei X, Iglesias J, Renschler MF. Increased survival in pancreatic cancer with nab-paclitaxel plus gemcitabine. N Engl J Med. 2013;369:1691–703.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 10.Gharaibeh M, McBride A, Bootman JL, Patel H, Abraham I. Economic evaluation for the US of nab-paclitaxel plus gemcitabine versus FOLFIRINOX versus gemcitabine in the treatment of metastatic pancreas cancer. J Med Econ. 2016;21:1–8.Google Scholar
- 13.Gharaibeh M, Patel H, McBride A, Bootman JL, Abraham I. Weibull and exponential proportional hazard modelling for optimizing economic evaluations of cancer treatments: FOLFIRINOX (FFX) vs gemcitabine (GEM) in metastatic pancreas cancer (mPC) [abstract]. J Clin Oncol. 2016;34(Suppl):e15704.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 14.Gharaibeh M, McBride A, Alberts D, et al. Economic evaluation for the UK of systemic chemotherapies as first-line treatment of metastatic pancreatic cancer. Pharmacoeconomics (Under review).Google Scholar
- 16.Red Book Online [subscription database online]. Greenwood Village (CO): Truven Health Analytics, Inc. Updated periodically.Google Scholar
- 17.Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services. FY 2016 Final Rule, Correction Notice and Consolidated Appropriations Act of 2016 Tables. 2016. https://www.cms.gov/Medicare/Medicare-Fee-for-Service-Payment/AcuteInpatientPPS/FY2016-IPPS-Final-Rule-Home-Page-Items/FY2016-IPPS-Final-Rule-Tables.html?DLPage = 1&DLEntries = 10&DLSort = 0&DLSortDir = ascending. Accessed 4 Sept 2017.
- 23.US Department of Labor Bureau of Labor Statistics. Consumer Price Index: all urban consumers. 2016. http://data.bls.gov/cgi-bin/surveymost?cu. Accessed 8 Apr 2018.
- 24.Romanus D, Kindler HL, Archer L, Basch E, Niedzwiecki D, Weeks J, Schrag D, Cancer and Leukemia Group B. Does health-related quality of life improve for advanced pancreatic cancer patients who respond to gemcitabine? Analysis of a randomized phase III trial of the cancer and leukemia group B (CALGB 80303). J Pain Symptom Manag. 2012;43:205–17.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 27.NCCN. Clinical practice guidelines in Oncology: pancreatic adenocarcinoma. 2016. V1. https://www.nccn.org/professionals/physician_gls/pdf/pancreatic.pdf. Accessed 8 Apr 2018.
- 28.Suker M, Beumer BR, Sadot E, Marthey L, Faris JE, Mellon EA, El-Rayes BF, Wang-Gillam A, Lacy J, Hosein PJ, Moorcraft SY, Conroy T, Hohla F, Allen P, Taieb J, Hong TS, Shridhar R, Chau I, van Eijck CH, Koerkamp BG. FOLFIRINOX for locally advanced pancreatic cancer: a systematic review and patient-level meta-analysis. Lancet Oncol. 2016;17:801–10.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 29.Center for Medicaid and Medicare Services. Oncology Care Model. 2017. https://innovation.cms.gov/initiatives/oncology-care/. Accessed 4 Sept 2017.