Systematic Review of Humanistic and Economic Burden of Symptomatic Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease
- 495 Downloads
An understanding of the humanistic and economic burden of individuals with symptomatic chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) is required to inform payers and healthcare professionals about the disease burden.
The aim of this systematic review was to identify and present humanistic [health-related quality of life (HRQoL)] and economic burdens of symptomatic COPD.
A comprehensive search of online databases (reimbursement or claims databases/other databases), abstracts from conference proceedings, published literature, clinical trials, medical records, health ministries, financial reports, registries, and other sources was conducted. Adult patients of any race or gender with symptomatic COPD were included. Humanistic and economic burdens included studies evaluating HRQoL and cost and resource use, respectively, associated with symptomatic COPD.
Thirty-two studies reporting humanistic burden and 74 economic studies were identified. Symptomatic COPD led to impairment in the health state of patients, as assessed by HRQoL instruments. It was also associated with high economic burden across all countries. The overall, direct, and indirect costs per patient increased with an increase in symptoms, dyspnoea severity, and duration of disease. Across countries, the annual societal costs associated with symptomatic COPD were higher among patients with comorbidities.
Symptomatic COPD is associated with a substantial economic burden. The HRQoL of patients with symptomatic COPD is, in general, low and influenced by dyspnoea.
KeywordsChronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease Patient Electronic Supplementary Table Symptomatic Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease Leicester Cough Questionnaire
Funding for this study was provided by GlaxoSmithKline. All listed authors met the criteria for authorship set forth by the International Committee for Medical Journal Editors. Editorial support, in the form of development, assembling tables and figures, collating author comments, copyediting, fact checking, and referencing, was provided by Dr Annirudha Chillar of Cactus Communications Inc., and was funded by GlaxoSmithKline.
Support and financial disclosure declaration
Funding for this study was provided by GlaxoSmithKline. Yogesh Suresh Punekar is employed by GlaxoSmithKline and owns stocks in the company. Kunal Srivastava, Deepika Thakur, and Sheetal Sharma are employed by Parexel (Heron Health), which was commissioned by GlaxoSmithKline to undertake the research for this systematic review. The authors state that they have full control of all primary data and they agree to allow the journal to review their data if requested.
Kunal Srivastava, Deepika Thakur, and Sheetal Sharma contributed equally in designing the study protocol, methodology, analysis, and manuscript writing. Yoghesh Suresh Punekar contributed in designing the study protocol, methodology, and manuscript writing, and is the overall guarantor for the manuscript.
- 1.Global Initiative for Chronic Obstructive Lung Disease (GOLD). Global strategy for the diagnosis, management, and prevention of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. 2014. http://www.goldcopd.org/uploads/users/files/GOLD_Report2014_Feb07.pdf. Accessed 15 Mar 2014.
- 3.Dal Negro R. Optimizing economic outcomes in the management of COPD. Int J Chron Obstruct Pulmon Dis. 2008;3:1–10.Google Scholar
- 4.Al Moamary MS, Tamim HM, Al-Mutairi SS, Al-Khouzaie TH, Mahboub BH, et al. Quality of life of patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease in the Gulf Cooperation Council countries. Saudi Med J. 2012;33:1111–7.Google Scholar
- 5.Bellas H, Connolly B, Birring S, Hurst B. Effect of cough on health-related quality of life in COPD [poster]. In: Presented at the European Respiratory Society Conference, Vienna. 2 Sep 2012. https://www.ersnetsecure.org/public/prg_congres.abstract?ww_i_presentation=56183. Accessed 10 Jul 2014.
- 9.Britton M. The burden of COPD in the UK: results from the Confronting COPD survey. Respir Med. 2003;97 Suppl C:S71–9.Google Scholar
- 15.Jones P, Lareau S, Mahler DA. Measuring the effects of COPD on the patient. Respir Med. 2005;99 Suppl B:S11–8.Google Scholar
- 16.Gupta B, Kant S. Health related quality of life (HRQoL) in COPD. Internet J Pulm Med 2009;11:1. http://www.ispub.com/journal/the_internet_journal_of_pulmonary_medicine/volume_11_number_1a/article/health-related-quality-of-life-hrqol-in-copd.html. Accessed 10 Jul 2014.
- 19.Hessey SM, Jarad NA. Reducing exacerbations of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD): a review of current pharmacological strategies. West Engl Med J. 2012;111:1.Google Scholar
- 24.Lu M, Yao WZ, Zhong NS, Zhou YM, Wang C, Chen P, et al. Asymptomatic patients of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease in China. Chin Med J (Engl). 2010;123:1494–9.Google Scholar
- 32.Lopez Jove OR, Giugno E, Galdames A, Barrionuevo V, Rey S, Tabaj G, et al. Quality of life in patients with COPD: its relation to GOLD stages and dyspnea. In: Presented at the American thoracic society international conference; 18–23 May 2012; San Francisco (CA). http://www.atsjournals.org/doi/abs/10.1164/ajrccm-conference.2012.185.1_MeetingAbstracts.A1517. Accessed 10 Jul 2014.
- 36.Carvounis CP, Nikas N, Panitti E. Epidemiological survey in primary care patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease in Greece. The EPIPTOSI study. Pneumon. 2012;25:386–94.Google Scholar
- 38.Wouters EF. Economic analysis of the Confronting COPD survey: an overview of results. Respir Med. 2003;97 Suppl C:S3–14.Google Scholar
- 39.Halpern MT, Stanford RH, Borker R. The burden of COPD in the USA: results from the Confronting COPD survey. Respir Med. 2003;97 Suppl C:S81–9.Google Scholar
- 42.Berkius J, Nolin T, Mardh C, Karlstrom G. Walther SM; Swedish Intensive Care Registry. Characteristics and long-term outcome of acute exacerbations in chronic obstructive pulmonary disease: an analysis of cases in the Swedish Intensive Care Registry during 2002–2006. Acta Anaesthesiol Scand. 2008;52:759–65.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 46.Johannesdottir SA, Christiansen CF, Johansen MB, Olsen M, Xu X, Parker JM, et al. Hospitalization with acute exacerbation of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease and associated health resource utilization: a population-based Danish cohort study. J Med Econ. 2013;16:897–906.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 47.Chapman KR, Bourbeau J, Rance L. The burden of COPD in Canada: results from the Confronting COPD survey. Respir Med. 2003;97 Suppl C:S23–31.Google Scholar
- 48.Dal Negro R, Rossi A, Cerveri I. The burden of COPD in Italy: results from the Confronting COPD survey. Respir Med. 2003;97 Suppl C:S43–50.Google Scholar
- 49.Izquierdo JL. The burden of COPD in Spain: results from the Confronting COPD survey. Respir Med. 2003;97 Suppl C:S61–9.Google Scholar
- 50.Piperno D, Huchon G, Pribil C, Boucot I, Similowski T. The burden of COPD in France: results from the Confronting COPD survey. Respir Med. 2003;97 Suppl C:S33–42.Google Scholar
- 51.Wouters EF. The burden of COPD in The Netherlands: results from the Confronting COPD survey. Respir Med. 2003;97 Suppl C:S51–9.Google Scholar
- 52.Punekar YS, Wurst K, Shukla A. COPD management costs among newly diagnosed COPD patients in the UK primary care Setting. In: Presented at the American thoracic society international conference; 17–22 May 2013; Philadelphia, PA. Available at: http://www.atsjournals.org/doi/abs/10.1164/ajrccm-conference.2013.187.1_MeetingAbstracts.A4373. Accessed 10 Jul 2014.
- 53.Gabriel SI, Teodorescu A, Dan DI, Maria A. Who win? Spirometry versus symptoms for predicting the longitudinal outcomes in COPD patients: 10 years observation. Eur Respir J. 2011;38(Suppl 55):949.Google Scholar
- 55.Cai Q, Sullivan SD, Stephenson JJ, Tan H, Kavati A, et al. Health-related quality of life and work productivity of employed COPD patients with nighttime and early morning symptoms. In: Presented at the American thoracic society (ATS) international conference; 17–22 May 2013; Philadelphia, PA. http://www.atsjournals.org/doi/abs/10.1164/ajrccm-conference.2013.187.1_MeetingAbstracts.A2939. Accessed 10 Jul 2014.
- 56.Dal Negro R, Bonadiman L, Tognella S, Micheletto C, Turco P. The impact of LABA + ICS fixed combinations on morbidity and economic burden of COPD in Italy: a 6-year observational study. Ther Adv Respir Dis. 2011;5:83–90.Google Scholar
- 60.Aimonino Ricauda N, Tibaldi V, Leff B, Scarafiotti C, Marinello R, Zanocchi M, et al. Substitutive “hospital at home” versus inpatient care for elderly patients with exacerbations of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease: a prospective randomized, controlled trial. J Am Geriatr Soc. 2008;56:493–500.Google Scholar
- 64.Diamantea F, Tiskrika S, Karakontaki F, Mitromaras D, Stagaki E, Kastanakis E, et al. Factors determining duration of hospital stay in patients hospitalized for acute COPD exacerbation. Eur Respir J. 2011;38(Suppl 55):906.Google Scholar
- 66.Almagro P, Barreiro B, Ochoa de Echaguen A, Quintana S, Rodriguez Carballeira M, Heredia JL, et al. Risk factors for hospital readmission in patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. Respiration. 2006;73:311–7.Google Scholar
- 67.Elmariami M, McGarry K, Yakubu D, Shamssain M. Association between respiratory viruses and exacerbations in COPD patients. Presented at the European Respiratory Society Conference; 18–22 Sep 2010; Barcelona. https://www.ersnetsecure.org/public/prg_congres.abstract?ww_i_presentation=47378. Accessed 10 Jul 2014.
- 71.Mocarski M, Schaefer ML, Palsgrove A, Hareendran A, Houghton K, Carson RT, et al. Patients’ experience of nighttime COPD symptoms: results from qualitative research. Presented at the American thoracic society international conference; 13–18 May 2011; Denver (CO). http://www.atsjournals.org/doi/abs/10.1164/ajrccm-conference.2011.183.1_MeetingAbstracts.A1479. Accessed 10 Jul 2014.
- 72.Partridge M, Vogelmeier C, Miravitlles M, Cazzola M, Leynaud D, Ostinelli J, et al. Sleep disturbance in patients with severe COPD. Presented at the European Respiratory Society Conference; 19 Sep 2010; Barcelona. https://www.ersnetsecure.org/public/prg_congres.abstract?ww_i_presentation=48684. Accessed 10 Jul 2014.
- 73.Shafiq I, Huggett K, Idris l, Rudran B, Shaw T. Use of COPD assessment (CAT) test in monitoring acute exacerbations [poster]. Presented at the European Respiratory Society Annual Congress; 24–28 Sep 2011; Amsterdam. http://f1000.com/posters/browse/summary/1089343. Accessed 10 Jul 2014.
- 75.Trappenburg JC, Touwen I, de Weert-van Oene GH, Bourbeau J, Monninkhof EM, Verheij TJM, et al. Detecting exacerbations using the Clinical COPD Questionnaire. Health Qual Life Outcomes. 2010;8:102.Google Scholar
- 76.Andreassen SL, Liaaen ED, Stenfors N, Henriksen AH. Impact of pneumonia on mortality and length of stay in patients hospitalized with acute COPD exacerbations. Eur Respir J. 2011;38(Suppl 55):565.Google Scholar
- 85.Chen YH, Yao WZ, Cai BQ, Wang H, Deng XM, Gao HL, et al. Economic analysis in admitted patients with acute exacerbation of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. Chin Med J (Engl). 2008;121:587–91.Google Scholar
- 86.Chen Y, Yao W, Kang J, Cai B, Zhou X, et al. Perception of patients with frequent exacerbation of COPD: National multi-center survey in China. In: Presented at the American thoracic society (ATS) international conference; 17–22 May 2013; Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. http://www.atsjournals.org/doi/abs/10.1164/ajrccm-conference.2013.187.1_MeetingAbstracts.A1438. Accessed 10 Jul 2014.
- 87.Chmielowicz B, Panaszek B, Obojski A. Hospital management of patients with exacerbation of severe and very severe chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD): protocol of treatment and discharge. In: Presented at the American thoracic society international conference; 13–18 May 2011; Denver, CO. http://www.atsjournals.org/doi/abs/10.1164/ajrccm-conference.2011.183.1_MeetingAbstracts.A3119. Accessed 10 Jul 2014.
- 88.Dal Negro RW, Bonadiman L, Turati C, Turco P. Clinical and pharmacoeconomic profile of COPD patients with FEV1 50–60 % predicted: pilot study on the impact of the extended indication of ICS/LABA. Ther Adv Respir Dis. 2009;3:51–8.Google Scholar
- 98.Hutchinson A, Brand C, Irving L, Roberts C, Thompson P, Campbell D. Acute care costs of patients admitted for management of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease exacerbations: contribution of disease severity, infection and chronic heart failure. Intern Med J. 2010;40:364–71.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 99.Kruavit A, Thien F. Systemic corticosteroids are still inappropriately prescribed in hospital patients with COPD exacerbation. Respirology. 2013;18:58.Google Scholar
- 100.Lerikou M, Dimopoulos G, Tsiodras S, Chranioti A, Perros E, Anagnostopoulouet U, et al. Elderly vs non-elderly patients with acute exacerbation of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (AECOPD) due to a viral infection [poster]. In: Presented at the European Respiratory Society Conference, Vienna, 3 Sep 2012. https://www.ersnetsecure.org/public/prg_congres.abstract?ww_i_presentation=55529. Accessed 10 Jul 2014.
- 101.Limsuwat C, Nantsupawat T, Kijsirichareanchai K, Nugent K. Factors predicting length of stay in patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease exacerbations admitted to intensive care. J Invest Med. 2012;60:445.Google Scholar
- 104.Monteiro F, Cunha K, Silva R, TodoBom F, Lopes C, Azevedo P, et al. Is there a difference in outcome according to etiology of COPD exacerbation in patients admitted to an ICU? Eur Respir J. 2011;38(Suppl 55):2054.Google Scholar
- 105.Nangia V, Gandhi K. Use of procalcitonin to guide the antibiotic therapy in patients with an acute exacerbation of COPD in a resource-limited setting: a case-control study. In: Presented at the 22nd European Congress of clinical microbiology and infectious diseases, London, 2 Apr 2012. http://registration.akm.ch/einsicht.php?XNABSTRACT_ID=142089&XNSPRACHE_ID=2&XNKONGRESS_ID=161&XNMASKEN_ID=900. Accessed 10 Jul 2014.
- 108.Nikolakopoulou S, Hillas G, Veldekis D, Bakakos P. Exacerbations of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD): correlation of hospitalization days with epidemiological and clinical parameters. Presented at the European Respiratory Society Conference, Barcelona, 18–22 Sep 2010. http://www.ers-education.org/Media/Media.aspx?idMedia=138269. Accessed 10 Jul 2014.
- 113.Ramanath KV, Sabith JK. Pharmacoeconomic evaluation of acute exacerbations of COPD treatment in a rural tertiary care hospital. Int J Pharm Sci Res. 2012;3:1155–60.Google Scholar
- 114.Roberts MH, Borrego M, Petersen H, Kharat A, Blanchette C. Estimating the burden and course of severe COPD exacerbations in the U.S. hispanic population. In: Presented at the American thoracic society international conference, Denver, CO, 13–18 May 2011. http://www.atsjournals.org/doi/abs/10.1164/ajrccm-conference.2011.183.1_MeetingAbstracts.A1496. Accessed 10 Jul 2014.
- 115.Romagnoli M, Dell’Orso D, Lorenzi C, Crisafulli E, Costi S, Lugli D, et al. Repeated pulmonary rehabilitation in severe and disabled COPD patients. Respiration. 2006;73:769–76.Google Scholar
- 117.Rowe BH, Rosychuk R, Espinola JA, Krishnan JA, Lang ES, Camargo CA Jr. Comparison of Canadian versus US emergency department visits and admission rates for acute exacerbations of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. CJEM. 2010;12:247.Google Scholar
- 119.Shen N. The direct admitted medical cost of acute exacerbation of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. Respirology. 2011;16:123.Google Scholar
- 120.Silver H, Blanchette CM, Roberts M, Petersen H, St Charles ME. Prevalence of comorbidities in patients hospitalized for COPD exacerbations and impact on impatient mortality and hospital expenditures. Presented at the American Thoracic Society International Conference, New Orleans, LA, 14–19 May 2010. http://www.atsjournals.org/doi/abs/10.1164/ajrccm-conference.2010.181.1_MeetingAbstracts.A5943. Accessed 10 Jul 2014.
- 126.Veettil SK, Salmiah MA, Rajiah K, Suresh Kumar BR. Cost of acute exacerbation of COPD in patients attending government hospital in Kerala, India. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci. 2012;4(Suppl 3):659–61.Google Scholar
- 129.Wang Y, Humerfelt S, Lurås H, Dahl FA, Stavem K, Haugen T. Readmissions after hospitalization for acute exacerbation of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. In: Presented at the 19th European Respiratory Society Conference, Vienna, 12–16 Sep 2009. http://www.ers-education.org/Media/Media.aspx?idMedia=139915. Accessed 10 Jul 2014.