Ethics Review of Pediatric Multi-Center Drug Trials
- 181 Downloads
The assessment of safety and efficacy of therapeutics for children and adolescents requires the use of multi-centered designs. However, the need to obtain ethical approval from multiple independent research ethics boards (REBs) presents as a challenge to investigators and sponsors who must consider local requirements while ensuring that the protection of human subjects is consistent across sites. In pediatrics, this requirement is complicated by pediatric-specific ethical concerns such as the acquisition of assent and consent and the need for pediatric expertise to assess the scholarly merit of the proposed research. Efforts to tackle these challenges have focused on the process of ethics review, which will improve efficiency. In addition to improving process, we suggest further research to fill gaps in the evidence base for recommendations and decisions made by REBs, specifically their effectiveness to protect human subjects. Evidence gathered will contribute to the successful development, adoption and implementation of harmonized guidance to apply ethics principles in order to protect children through research rather than from research.
KeywordsResearch Ethic Board Pediatric Research Common Ethic Ethical Oversight Multiple Submission
This work has received funding support from Global Research in Paediatrics (GRiP). A.C. Needham, M.Z. Kapadia and M. Offringa report no potential conflicts of interest.
- 7.Bellis JR, Kirkham JJ, Thiesen S, Conroy EJ, Bracken LE, Mannix HL, et al. Adverse drug reactions and off-label and unlicensed medicines in children: a nested case–control study of inpatients in a pediatric hospital. BMC Med. 2013;11:238. doi: 10.1186/1741-7015-11-238.PubMedCentralPubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 14.Canadian Institutes of Health Research and Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council of Canada. Tri-Council Policy Statement: Ethical Conduct for Research Involving Humans. 2010.Google Scholar
- 15.Miller PB, Kenny NP. Walking the moral tightrope: respecting and protecting children in health-related research. Camb Q Healthc Ethics CQ Int J Healthc Ethics Comm. 2002;11(3):217–29.Google Scholar
- 17.European Organisation for Rare Diseases. 2009 .What is a rare disease? http://www.eurordis.org/content/what-rare-disease. Accessed 24 Sept 2013.
- 18.Goldberg JD, Koury KJ. Design and analysis of multicenter trials. In: Berry DA, editor. Statistical methodology in the pharmaceutical industry. New York: Dekker; 1990. p. 201–37.Google Scholar
- 23.Gill D, Ethics Working Group of the Confederation of European Specialists in P. Ethical principles and operational guidelines for good clinical practice in paediatric research. Recommendations of the Ethics Working Group of the Confederation of European Specialists in Paediatrics (CESP). Eur J Pediatr. 2004;163(2):53–7. doi: 10.1007/s00431-003-1378-5.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 24.Avard D, Samuël J, Black L, Griener G, Knoppers BM. Best practices for health research involving children and adolescents. 2011. Centre of Genomics and Policy, McGill University Ethics Office, Canadian Institutes of Health Research. http://www.pediagen.org/ressources/BestPratices.pdf. Accessed 28 May 2014.
- 27.Fernandez C. Ethical issues in health research in children. Paediatr Child Health. 2008;13(8):707–20.Google Scholar
- 37.Dal-Re R, Morejon E, Ortega R. Nature and extent of changes in the patient’s information sheets of international multicentre clinical trials as requested by Spanish Research Ethics Committees. Med Clin. 2004;123(20):770–4.Google Scholar
- 44.Ezzat H, Ross S, von Dadelszen P, Morris T, Liston R, Magee LA, et al. Ethics review as a component of institutional approval for a multicentre continuous quality improvement project: the investigator’s perspective. BMC Health Serv Res. 2010;10:223. doi: 10.1186/1472-6963-10-223.PubMedCentralPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 48.Health Research Ethics Authority. 2014. Welcome to the Health Research Ethics Authority (HREA) Website. http://www.hrea.ca/Home.aspx. Accessed 26 June 2014.
- 49.Province of Alberta. 2000. Health Information Act. https://www.assembly.ab.ca/HIAReview/Health_Information_Act.pdf. Accessed 26 June 2014.
- 50.Health Research Ethics Board of Alberta. 2014. Coming soon: one ethics review for health research in Alberta. http://hreba.ca/coming-soon-one-ethics-review-for-health-research-in-alberta/. Accessed 26 June 2014.
- 51.Clinical Trials Ontario. 2014. Streamlined research ethics review. http://www.ctontario.ca/streamlined-ethics-review-system/. Accessed 28 June 2014.
- 52.European Forum for Good Clinical Practice. 2012. EFGCP report on the procedure for the ethical review of protocols for clinical research Projects in Europe and beyond. http://www.efgcp.eu/EFGCPReports.asp?L1=5&L2=1. Accessed 16 Sept 2014.
- 53.Australian Government National Health and Medical Research Council. 2014. The National approach to single ethical review of multi-centre research. http://hrep.nhmrc.gov.au/national-approach. Data accessed 24 Sept 2014.
- 54.Maternal Infant Child and Youth Network. 2011. MICRYN workshop: research ethics harmonization. http://www.micyrn.ca/PDF/REBWorkshopReportOctober2011.pdf. Accessed 29 July 2013.
- 56.Enzel ME, Schmaltz R. Ethics review of multi-centre clinical trials in Canada. Health Law Rev. 2005;13(2–3):51–7.Google Scholar