Support Tools for Preference-Sensitive Decisions in Healthcare: Where Are We? Where Do We Go? How Do We Get There?
“Understanding and respecting patients’ values, preferences and expressed needs are the foundation of patient-centered care.” Harvey Picker 
In Crossing the Quality Chasm: A New Health System for the 21st Century, the Institute of Medicine described patient-centered care as “providing care that is respectful of and responsive to individual patient preferences, needs, and values, and ensuring that patient values guide all clinical decisions” . The operationalization of patient-centered care requires shared decision-making (SDM), a process in which “patients are encouraged to think about the available screening, treatment, or management options and the likely benefits and harms of each so that they can communicate their preferences and help select the best course of action for them” .
SDM is on the continuum between paternalistic and informed decision-making . The extremes of the continuum are characterized by unilateral decisions. In paternalistic decision-making, the...
Compliance with Ethical Standards
Conflict of interest
All authors declare that they have no conflict of interest.
- 1.Picker Institute. Patient-centered care: the road ahead. Picker Institute; 2013. http://ipfcc.org/resources/Patient-Centered-Care-The-Road-Ahead.pdf. Accessed 21 Jun 2019.
- 2.Institute of Medicine (US) Committee on Quality of Health Care in America. In: Crossing the quality chasm: a new health system for the 21st century. Washington, DC: National Academies Press (US); 2001.Google Scholar
- 9.Frampton S, Guastello S, Brady C, et al. Patient-centered care improvement guide. Derby: Planetree; 2008.Google Scholar
- 10.PCORI. Patient-Centered Outcomes Research Institute. 2019. https://www.pcori.org/about-us. Accessed 26 June 2019.
- 11.National Institutes of Health. All of Us Research Program. 2019. https://allofus.nih.gov/. Accessed 26 June 2019.
- 13.Robert Wood Johnson Foundation, AcademyHealth. Moving patient-centered care forward: how do we get there? 2018. https://www.academyhealth.org/sites/default/files/movingpatientcenteredcareforward_october2018.pdf. Accessed 21 Jun 2019.
- 18.Bansback N, Trenaman L, MacDonald KV, et al. An individualized patient-reported outcome measure (PROM) based patient decision aid and surgeon report for patients considering total knee arthroplasty: protocol for a pragmatic randomized controlled trial. BMC Musculoskelet Disord. 2019;20(1):89.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 19.Canadian Institute for Health Information. Wait times for priority procedures in Canada. 2019. https://www.cihi.ca/en/wait-times-for-priority-procedures-in-canada. Accessed 26 June 2019.
- 29.Legare F, Adekpedjou R, Stacey D, et al. Interventions for increasing the use of shared decision making by healthcare professionals. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2018;7:CD006732.Google Scholar
- 31.American Society of Clinical Oncology. Cancer progress timeline. 2019. https://www.asco.org/research-progress/cancer-progress-timeline. Accessed 26 June 2019.