Appropriate drug dosages in obese patients
Drug dosage recommendations in obese patients are largely lacking, as data on dosages are generally derived from clinical studies conducted in healthy subjects of average body weight. As morbid obesity (i.e. body mass index ≥ 40 kg/m2) is associated with comorbidities affecting drug pharmacokinetics, relatively few obese subjects are included in clinical studies. To insure optimal drug dosages in obese patients, efficacy and safety trials should provide subgroup analysis of data in patients with varying degrees of obesity. The body-size descriptor used to determine the optimal drug dosage in obese patients should be based on the pharmacological properties of the drug, the clinical context and other factors, and should be clearly specified (including the method of conversion from total body weight to the appropriate body-size descriptor).
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
S. Mirkov and K.A. Lyseng-Williamson declare no relevant conflict of interest.
The preparation of this review was not supported by any external funding.
- 6.National Institutes of Health. Clinical guidelines on the identification, evaluation, and treatment of overweight and obesity in adults: the evidence report. Obes Res. 1998;6(Suppl 2):51S–209S.Google Scholar
- 7.World Health Organisation. Obesity: preventing and managing the global epidemic: report of a WHO consultation (WHO Technical Report Series 894). Geneva: World Health Organization; 2000.Google Scholar
- 16.Institute for Safe Medications Practices (ISMP). 2018-2019 Targeted medication safety best practices for hospitals.: best practice 3. Horsham (PA): ISMP; 2018.Google Scholar
- 22.Clinical Excellence Commission. High-risk medicines management policy (document no. PD2015-029). North Sydney (NSW): Ministry of Health, NSW; 2015.Google Scholar
- 29.Shem-Tov N, Labopin M, Moukhtari L, et al. Chemotherapy dose adjustment for obese patients undergoing hematopoietic stem cell transplantation: a survey on behalf of the Acute Leukemia Working Party of the European Society for Blood and Marrow Transplantation. Oncologist. 2015;20(1):50–5.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 33.Graves KK, Edholm K, Johnson SA. Use of oral anticoagulants in obese patients. JSM Atheroscler. 2017;2(4):1035.Google Scholar