Ingenol mebutate gel: a guide to its use in actinic keratosis in the EU
Ingenol mebutate gel (Picato®) is indicated for the topical treatment of actinic keratosis. Field-directed therapy with topical ingenol mebutate (150 µg/g gel applied once daily for 3 consecutive days for actinic keratoses on the face or scalp, and 500 µg/g gel applied once daily for 2 consecutive days for actinic keratoses on the trunk or extremities) resulted in significantly higher complete and partial clearance rates at day 57 than treatment with vehicle gel. Clearance was generally sustained during 1-year follow-up. Moreover, relative to cryosurgery alone, a 3-day course of ingenol mebutate 150 µg/g gel applied to the face and scalp 3 weeks after cryosurgery improved clearance of actinic keratosis at 11 weeks. Transient local skin responses are very common after initiation of ingenol mebutate gel.
- 6.Rigel DS, Stein Gold LS. The importance of early diagnosis and treatment of actinic keratosis. J Am Acad Dermatol. 2013;68(1 Suppl 1):S20–7.Google Scholar
- 10.Picato® (ingenol mebutate) 150 and 50 micrograms/gram gel: summary of product characteristics. London: European Medicines Agency; 2014.Google Scholar
- 16.Berman B, Marmur E, Larsson T, et al. Three-day topical treatment with ingenol mebutate gel 0.015% for actinic keratoses on the face and scalp: analysis of data pooled from two trials [poster no. 5623]. In: 70th Annual Meeting of the American Academy of Dermatology; 16–20 Mar 2012; San Diego.Google Scholar
- 17.Anderson LL, Schmieder GJ, Xu Z, et al. Two-day topical treatment with ingenol mebutate gel 0.05% for actinic keratoses on the trunk and extremities: analysis of data pooled from two trials [poster no. 5640]. In: 70th Annual Meeting of the American Academy of Dermatology; 16–20 Mar 2012; San Diego.Google Scholar
- 18.Lebwohl M, Shumack S, Stein Gold L, et al. Long-term follow-up study of ingenol mebutate gel for the treatment of actinic keratosis. JAMA Dermatol. 2013;149(6):666–70.Google Scholar
- 20.Leo Pharma. FIELD study 1 now complete: evaluating one year treatment outcomes of actinic keratosis after a combined lesion- and field-directed treatment approach with cryosurgery and ingenol mebutate gel [media release]. 26 Sep 2013. http://www.leo-pharma.com/Home/LEO-Pharma/Media-Centre/News/News-2013/LEO-Pharma-completes-FIELD-Study-1.aspx.
- 21.Stockfleth E, et al. A consensus approach to improving patient adherence and persistence with topical treatment for actinic keratosis [poster no.IST13-1460]. In: 22nd Congress of the European Academy of Dermatology and Venereology; 2–6 Oct 2013; Istanbul.Google Scholar
- 22.Augustin M, et al. Effect of ingenol mebutate gel on treatment satisfaction and quality of life in actinic keratosis [poster no.IST13-1530]. In: 22nd Congress of the European Academy of Dermatology and Venereology; 2–6 Oct 2013; Istanbul.Google Scholar