Enzalutamide: A Review of Its Use in Chemotherapy-Naïve Metastatic Castration-Resistant Prostate Cancer
- 457 Downloads
Enzalutamide (Xtandi®) is an androgen receptor inhibitor that blocks several steps in the androgen receptor signalling pathway. This article reviews the clinical efficacy and tolerability of oral enzalutamide in chemotherapy-naïve men with metastatic castration-resistant prostate cancer (CRPC), as well as summarizing its pharmacological properties. In the randomized, double-blind, multinational PREVAIL trial, enzalutamide significantly improved both radiographic progression-free survival and overall survival versus placebo in chemotherapy-naïve men with metastatic CRPC who were asymptomatic or mildly symptomatic. In addition, enzalutamide significantly delayed the need for chemotherapy and the decline in health-related quality of life versus placebo. Enzalutamide was generally well tolerated in chemotherapy-naïve men with metastatic CRPC. In conclusion, enzalutamide is a convenient, effective and well tolerated treatment for chemotherapy-naïve men with metastatic CRPC who are asymptomatic or mildly symptomatic.
KeywordsOverall Survival Androgen Receptor Placebo Recipient National Comprehensive Cancer Network National Comprehensive Cancer Network
The preparation of this review was not supported by any external funding. Gillian Keating is a salaried employee of Adis/Springer. During the peer review process, the manufacturer of the agent under review was offered an opportunity to comment on this article. Changes resulting from comments received were made by the author on the basis of scientific and editorial merit.
- 1.National Comprehensive Cancer Network. NCCN clinical practice guidelines in onoclogy (NCCN guidelines): prostate cancer (version 1.2015). 2015. http://www.nccn.org/. Accessed 9 Feb 2015.
- 20.Bishop JL, Sio A, Angeles A, et al. PD-L1 is highly expressed in enzalutamide resistant prostate cancer. Oncotarget. 2014;6(1):234–42.Google Scholar
- 26.Zhang T, Dhawan MS, Healy P, et al. Clinical benefit of docetaxel or enzalutamide after progression on first-line abiraterone acetate and prednisone in men with metastatic castration resistant prostate cancer (mCRPC) [abstract no. e16031]. J Clin Oncol. 2014;32(15 Suppl).Google Scholar
- 27.Vera-Badillo FE, Leibowitz-Amit R, Templeton A, et al. Clinical activity of enzalutamide against metastatic castration-resistant prostate cancer (mCRPC) in patients who have progressed on abiraterone acetate: the Princess Margaret experience [abstract no. 159]. J Clin Oncol. 2014;32(4 Suppl).Google Scholar
- 28.Sandhu GS, Parikh RA, Appleman LJ, et al. Enzalutamide after abiraterone in patients with metastatic castrate-resistant prostate cancer (mCRPC) [abstract no. 240]. J Clin Oncol. 2014;32(4 Suppl).Google Scholar
- 29.Cheng HH, Gulati R, Azad A, et al. Activity of enzalutamide in men with metastatic castration-resistant prostate cancer is affected by prior treatment with abiraterone and/or docetaxel. Prostate Cancer Prostatic Dis. 2015. doi: 10.1038/pcan.2014.53.
- 30.European Medicines Agency. Xtandi (enzalutamide): EU summary of product characteristics. 2015. http://www.ema.europa.eu/. Accessed 9 Feb 2015.
- 31.Astellas Pharma US Inc. Xtandi® (enzalutamide) capsules for oral use: US prescribing information. 2014. http://www.xtandi.com/. Accessed 9 Feb 2015.
- 33.Evans C, Higano CS, Keane T, et al. The PREVAIL study: primary and non-visceral/visceral disease subgroup results for enzalutamide-treated men with metastatic prostate cancer (mPC) that had progressed on ADT [abstract no. PI-05 plus slide presentation]. In: 2014 Annual Meeting of the American Urological Association. 2014.Google Scholar
- 34.Higano C, Alumkal J, Chowdhury S, et al. Response rates and outcomes with enzalutamide for patients with metastatic castration resistant prostate cancer and visceral disease in the PREVAIL trial [abstract no. 767P]. Ann Oncol. 2014;25(Suppl 4):iv262.Google Scholar
- 35.Loriot Y, Miller K, Sternberg CN, et al. Impact of enzalutamide on skeletal related events (SREs), pain and quality of life (QoL) in the PREVAIL trial [abstract no. 762PD]. Ann Oncol. 2014;25(Suppl 4):iv259.Google Scholar
- 38.Janssen Biotech Inc. Zytiga® (abiraterone acetate) tablets: US prescribing information. 2015. http://www.zytigahcp.com/full-prescribing-information. Accessed 9 Feb 2014.
- 41.Efstathiou E, Titus MA, Wen S, et al. Enzalutamide (ENZA) in combination with abiraterone acetate (AA) in bone metastatic castration resistant prostate cancer (mCRPC) [abstract no. 5000]. J Clin Oncol. 2014;32(15 Suppl).Google Scholar
- 43.Rodriguez-Vida A, Bianchini D, Van Hemelrijck M, et al. Is there an antiandrogen withdrawal syndrome with enzalutamide? BJU Int. 2014. doi: 10.1111/bju.12826.