Elexacaftor/Ivacaftor/Tezacaftor: First Approval
- 128 Downloads
A fixed-dose combination tablet of the cystic fibrosis transmembrane conductance regulator (CFTR) corrector tezacaftor and the CFTR potentiator ivacaftor with the next-generation CFTR corrector elexacaftor (hereafter referred to as elexacaftor/ivacaftor/tezacaftor) [Trikafta™] has been developed by Vertex Pharmaceuticals Inc. to treat patients with the most common cystic fibrosis mutation (F508del). Its use has been associated with statistically significant and/or clinically meaningful improvements in lung function and respiratory-related quality of life compared with comparator regimens (placebo or ivacaftor/tezacaftor) in multinational phase II and III studies, and in October 2019 elexacaftor/ivacaftor/tezacaftor was approved by the US FDA for the treatment of cystic fibrosis in patients aged ≥ 12 years who have ≥ 1 F508del mutation in the CFTR gene. A regulatory assessment for elexacaftor/ivacaftor/tezacaftor as a treatment for cystic fibrosis is underway in the EU. This article summarizes the milestones in the development of elexacaftor/ivacaftor/tezacaftor leading to this first approval for the treatment of cystic fibrosis in patients aged ≥ 12 years who have ≥ 1 F508del mutation in the CFTR gene.
Compliance with Ethical Standards
The preparation of this review was not supported by any external funding.
Conflict of interest
During the peer review process the manufacturer of the agent under review was offered an opportunity to comment on the article. Changes resulting from any comments received were made by the author on the basis of scientific completeness and accuracy. Sheridan Hoy is a salaried employee of Adis International Ltd/Springer Nature, is responsible for the article content and declares no relevant conflicts of interest.
- 2.US FDA. FDA approves new breakthrough therapy for cystic fibrosis. 2019. https://www.fda.gov/news-events/press-announcements/fda-approves-new-breakthrough-therapy-cystic-fibrosis. Accessed 23 Oct 2019.
- 4.Rowe SM, Taylor-Cousar JL. Advancing CFTR modulator therapy for the vast majority of patients with cystic fibrosis [abstract no. S15.2]. Pediatr Pulmonol. 2019;54(Suppl 2):108–9.Google Scholar
- 6.Vertex Pharmaceuticals Inc. Trikafta™ (elexacaftor, tezacaftor and ivacaftor tablets; ivacaftor tablets): US prescribing information. 2019. https://pi.vrtx.com/files/uspi_elexacaftor_tezacaftor_ivacaftor.pdf. Accessed 23 Oct 2019.
- 7.Vertex Pharmaceuticals Inc. Vertex announces European Medicines Agency Marketing Authorization Application validation for VX-445 (elexacaftor), tezacaftor and ivacaftor triple combination treatment in cystic fibrosis. 2019. https://investors.vrtx.com/news-releases/news-release-details/vertex-announces-european-medicines-agency-marketing. Accessed 4 Nov 2019.
- 8.Vertex Pharmaceuticals Inc. Orkambi® (lumacaftor/ivacaftor) tablets, for oral use: US prescribing information. 2018. http://www.fda.gov/. Accessed 4 Nov 2019.
- 10.Heijerman HGM, McKone EF, Downey DG, et al. Efficacy and safety of the elexacaftor plus tezacaftor plus ivacaftor combination regimen in people with cystic fibrosis homozygous for the F508del mutation: a double-blind, randomised, phase 3 trial. Lancet. 2019. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(19)32597-8.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar