Camrelizumab: First Global Approval
Camrelizumab (AiRuiKa™), a programmed cell death 1 (PD-1) inhibitor being developed by Jiangsu Hengrui Medicine Co. Ltd, recently received conditional approval in China for the treatment of relapsed or refractory classical Hodgkin lymphoma. The drug is also being investigated as a treatment for various other malignancies, including B cell lymphoma, oesophageal squamous cell carcinoma, gastric/gastroesophageal junction cancer, hepatocellular carcinoma, nasopharyngeal cancer and non-squamous, non-small cell lung cancer. This article summarizes the milestones in the development of camrelizumab leading to this first approval for classical Hodgkin lymphoma.
Compliance with Ethical Standards
The preparation of this review was not supported by any external funding.
Conflict of interest
During the peer review process the manufacturer of the agent under review was offered an opportunity to comment on the article. Changes resulting from any comments received were made by the authors on the basis of scientific completeness and accuracy. A. Markham, a contracted employee of Adis International Ltd/Springer Nature, and Susan Keam, a salaried employees of Adis International Ltd/Springer Nature are responsible for the article content and declare no relevant conflicts of interest.
- 2.Jiangsu Hengrui Medicine. Announcement on obtaining new drug certificate and drug registration approval [media release]. 31 May 2019. http://cfi.cn/p20190531000358.html.
- 4.Jiangsu Hengrui Medicine Co. Ltd. Camrelizumab: Chinese prescribing information. Lianyungang: Jiangsu Hengrui Medicine Co. Ltd; 2019.Google Scholar
- 5.Hogan Lovells. The China Food and Drug Administration pushes forward on conditional approval and compassionate use of new drugs [media release]. 17 Jan 2018. https://www.lexology.com/library/detail.aspx?g=73ce9342-8178-4b42-9c31-389edf0278c1.
- 6.Incyte Corporation. Incyte announces global license agreement with Jiangsu Hengrui Medicine for SHR-1210, an investigational anti-PD-1 monoclonal antibody [media release]. 2 Sep 2015. http://www.incyte.com.
- 7.Incyte Corporation. Form 10-Q quarterly report for the quarterly period ended 31 March 2018. 2018. https://investor.incyte.com/static-files/9a5c18d8-681c-4212-9bf3-c82405b7754b. Accessed 21 June 2019.
- 8.LSK Biopharma, Jiangsu Hengrui Medicine. LSK BioPharma and Jiangsu Hengrui Medicine announce global clinical collaboration to evaluate the combination of anti-angiogenesis and immuno-oncology therapy for patients with advanced hepatocellular carcinoma (HCC) [media release]. 21 Oct 2018. http://www.lskbiopharma.com.
- 10.Zhu J, Feng J, Chen X, et al. A phase II study of SHR-1210, an antipd-1 antibody, in Chinese patients with relapsed/refractory classic Hodgkin Lymphoma [abstract no. T026 (0025)]. HemaSphere. 2018;2(Suppl. 3):41.Google Scholar
- 12.Pang Q, Li X, Zhang W, et al. Safety and effect of radiation therapy combined with anti-PD-1 antibody SHR-1210 as first-line treatment on patients with intolerable concurrent chemoradiotherapy esophageal cancer: a phase 1b clinical trial [abstract no. SU_9_2089]. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2018;102(3 Suppl.):e39.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 15.Shen L, Peng Z, Zhang YQ, et al. Camrelizumab combined with capecitabine and oxaliplatin followed by camrelizumab and apatinib as first-line therapy for advanced or metastatic gastric or gastroesophageal junction cancer: updated results from a multicenter, open label phase II trial [abstract no. 4031]. J Clin Oncol. 2019;37(15 Suppl.).CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 16.Data on file, Jiangsu Hengrui Medicine, 2019.Google Scholar
- 19.Qin SK, Ren ZG, Meng ZQ, et al. A randomized multicentered phase II study to evaluate SHR-1210 (PD-1 antibody) in subjects with advanced hepatocellular carcinoma (HCC) who failed or intolerable to prior systemic treatment [abstract no. LBA27]. Ann Oncol. 2018;29(Suppl. 8):viii719–20.Google Scholar
- 21.Zhou C, Gao G, Wu F, et al. A phase Ib study of SHR-1210 plus Apatinib for heavily previously treated advanced nonsquamous non-small cell lung cancer (NSCLC) patients [abstract no. e21017]. J Clin Oncol. 2018;36(15 Suppl.).Google Scholar
- 23.Wu F, Gao G, Zhou C, et al. A phase III, randomized, open-label, multicenter study of SHR-1210 (anti-PD-1 antibody) in combination with pemetrexed and carboplatin as first line therapy in subjects with advanced/metastatic non-squamous non-small cell lung cancer [abstract no. 1505TiP]. Ann Oncol. 2018;29(Suppl. 8):viii545.Google Scholar