Larotrectinib: First Global Approval
- 130 Downloads
Larotrectinib (VITRAKVI®) is an orally administered, small molecule, highly-selective, tropomyosin receptor kinase (TRK) inhibitor that was developed by Loxo Oncology in collaboration with Bayer AG as a treatment for adult and paediatric patients whose cancers harbour neurotrophic receptor tyrosine kinase (NTRK) gene fusions. In November 2018 larotrectinib received its first global approval in the USA for the treatment of adult and paediatric patients with solid tumours that have a NTRK gene fusion without a known acquired resistance mutation, are metastatic or where surgical resection is likely to result in severe morbidity, and have no satisfactory alternative treatments or that have progressed following treatment. A registration application for the use of larotrectinib in paediatric and adult patients with locally advanced or metastatic solid tumours with NTRK gene fusion proteins has been submitted in the EU. This article summarizes the milestones in the development of larotrectinib leading to its first approval for the treatment of adult and paediatric patients with solid tumours that have NTRK gene fusion.
Compliance with Ethical Standards
The preparation of this review was not supported by any external funding.
Conflict of interest
During the peer review process the manufacturer of the agent under review was offered an opportunity to comment on the article. Changes resulting from any comments received were made by the author on the basis of scientific completeness and accuracy. Lesley Scott is a salaried employee of Adis/Springer, is responsible for the article content and declares no relevant conflicts of interest.
- 4.Loxo Oncology. Vitrakvi® (Larotrectinib): US prescribing information. 2018. https://www.fda.gov/. Accessed 04 Dec 2018.
- 5.FDA. FDA approves an oncology drug that targets a key genetic driver of cancer, rather than a specific type of tumor [media release]. 2018. https://www.fda.gov/. Accessed 2018.
- 6.Loxo Oncology. Loxo oncology announces submission of European Marketing Authorization Application for larotrectinib [media release]. 2018. http://www.loxooncology.com. Accessed 06 Dec 2018.
- 7.Loxo Oncology. Loxo Oncology announces EMA Orphan Drug Designation granted to LOXO-101 for treatment of soft tissue sarcoma [media release]. 2016. http://www.loxooncology.com. Accessed 06 Dec 2018.
- 8.Agency EM. Larotrectinib: orphan designation EU/3/18/1995. 2018. http://www.ema.europa.eu/. Accessed 06 Dec 2018.
- 9.Array BioPharma Inc. Loxo Oncology and Array BioPharma announce license and collaboration agreement [media release]. 2013. http:http://www.arraybiopharma.com. Accessed 03 Dec 2018.
- 10.Bayer. Bayer and Loxo Oncology to develop and commercialize two therapies that selectively target genetic drivers of cancer [media release]. 2017. http://www.bayer.com. Accessed 03 Dec 2018.
- 15.Lassen UN, Albert CM, Kummar S, et al. Larotrectinib efficacy and safety in TRK fusion cancer: an expanded clinical dataset showing consistency in an age and tumor agnostic approach [abstract no. 409O plus oral presentation]. Ann Oncol. 2018;29(Suppl 8):133–48.Google Scholar
- 16.Loxo Oncology. Loxo Oncology and illumina to partner on developing next-generation sequencing-based pan-cancer companion diagnostics [media release]. 2018. http://ir.loxooncology.com. Accessed 03 Dec 2018.