Abiraterone Acetate: A Review in Metastatic Castration-Resistant Prostrate Cancer
- 529 Downloads
Oral abiraterone acetate (Zytiga®) is a selective inhibitor of CYP17 and thereby inhibits androgen biosynthesis, with androgen signalling crucial in the progression from primary to metastatic prostate cancer (PC) and subsequently, in the development of metastatic castration-resistant PC (mCRPC). In large phase 3 trials and in the clinical practice setting, oral abiraterone acetate in combination with prednisone was an effective treatment and had an acceptable, manageable tolerability and safety profile in chemotherapy-naive and docetaxel-experienced men with mCRPC. In the pivotal global phase 3 trials, relative to placebo (+prednisone), abiraterone acetate (+prednisone) prolonged overall survival (OS) at data maturity (final analysis) and radiographic progression-free survival (rPFS) at all assessed timepoints. Given its efficacy in prolonging OS and its convenient once-daily oral regimen, in combination with prednisone, abiraterone acetate is an important first-line option for the treatment of mCRPC.
During the peer review process, the manufacturer of abiraterone acetate was also offered an opportunity to review this article. Changes resulting from comments received were made on the basis of scientific and editorial merit.
Compliance with Ethical Standards
The preparation of this review was not supported by any external funding.
Conflict of interest
Lesley Scott is a salaried employee of Adis/Springer, is responsible for the article content and declares no relevant conflicts of interest. Additional information about this Adis Drug Review can be found at http://www.medengine.com/Redeem/AB98F0605A2BB450.
- 1.World Cancer Research Fund International. Cancer facts and figures: worldwide data. 2012. http://www.wcrf.org. Accessed 6 Apr 2017.
- 7.European Medicines Agency. Zytiga 250 mg tablets: summary of product characteristics. 2017. http://www.ema.europa.eu/. Accessed 14 Jul 2017.
- 8.Janssen Biotech Inc. Zytiga® (abiraterone acetate) tablets: US prescribing information. 2016. https://www.zytiga.com/. Accessed 20 Mar 2017.
- 17.Ryan CJ, Smith MR, Fizazi K, et al. Abiraterone acetate plus prednisone versus placebo plus prednisone in chemotherapy-naive men with metastatic castration-resistant prostate cancer (COU-AA-302): final overall survival analysis of a randomised, double-blind, placebo-controlled phase 3 study. Lancet Oncol. 2015;16(2):152–60.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 34.Fizazi K, Flaig TW, Stockle M, et al. Does Gleason score at initial diagnosis predict efficacy of abiraterone acetate therapy in patients with metastatic castration-resistant prostate cancer? An analysis of abiraterone acetate phase III trials. Ann Oncol. 2016;27(4):699–705.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 39.Logothetis CJ, Basch E, Molina A, et al. Effect of abiraterone acetate and prednisone compared with placebo and prednisone on pain control and skeletal-related events in patients with metastatic castration-resistant prostate cancer: exploratory analysis of data from the COU-AA-301 randomised trial. Lancet Oncol. 2012;13(12):1210–7.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 42.Sternberg CN, Castellano D, Daugaard G, et al. Abiraterone acetate for patients with metastatic castration-resistant prostate cancer progressing after chemotherapy: final analysis of a multicentre, open-label, early-access protocol trial. Lancet Oncol. 2014;15(11):1263–8.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 47.European Medicines Agency. Zytiga-H-C-2321-II-0004-G: EPAR assessment report variation. 2013. http://www.ema.europa.eu. Accessed 14 Jul 2017.
- 48.Ruiz Gracia P, Dearden L, Antoni L, et al. Meta-analysis of randomized clinical trials in metastatic castration resistant prostate cancer: comparison of hypertension, neurological and psychiatric adverse events on enzalutamide and abiraterone acetate plus prednisone treatment [abstract no. 738P]. Ann Oncol. 2016;27(Suppl. 6).Google Scholar
- 49.Moreira RB, Debiasi M, Maluf F, et al. Differential side effects profile in mCRPC patients treated with abiraterone or enzalutamide: a meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials [abstract no. 73]. J Clin Oncol. 2016;34(2 Suppl.).Google Scholar
- 50.Janssen Pharma Co. Abiraterone acetate (Zaitiga®) 250 mg tablet: Japanese prescribing information. 2015. http://www.pmda.go.jp/. Accessed 21 May 2017.
- 52.National Comprehensive Cancer Network. NCCN clinical practice guidelines in oncology: prostate cancer. 2017. https://www.nccn.org. Accessed 20 Mar 2017.
- 54.Lafeuille MH, Grittner AM, Lefebvre P, et al. Adherence patterns for abiraterone acetate and concomitant prednisone use in patients with prostate cancer. J Manag Care Pharm. 2014;20(5):477–84.Google Scholar
- 57.National Institute for Health and Clinical Excellence. Abiraterone for castration-resistant metastatic prostate cancer previously treated with a docetaxel-containing regimen (NICE technology appraisal guidance 259). 2016. http://guidance.nice.org.uk/. Accessed 17 Jul 2017.