Brigatinib (ALUNBRIG™) is a small molecule antineoplastic anaplastic lymphoma kinase (ALK) inhibitor being developed by ARIAD Pharmaceuticals (a wholly-owned subsidiary of Takeda Pharmaceutical Company). In April 2017 brigatinib received accelerated approval in the USA for the treatment of patients with ALK-positive metastatic non-small cell lung cancer (NSCLC) who have progressed on or are intolerant to crizotinib. The development of resistance to crizotinib is a therapeutic challenge that has led to the development of second-generation ALK-inhibitors such as brigatinib, which have activity against treatment-resistant ALK mutants. This article summarizes the milestones in the development of brigatinib leading to this first global approval for the treatment of patients with ALK-positive metastatic NSCLC who have progressed on or are intolerant to crizotinib.
The preparation of this review was not supported by any external funding. During the peer review process the manufacturer of the agent under review was offered an opportunity to comment on the article. Changes resulting from any comments received were made by the author on the basis of scientific completeness and accuracy. A. Markham is a contracted employee of Adis, Springer SBM.
Additional information about this Adis Drug Review can be found at http://www.medengine.com/Redeem/4B48F06066ACFC3C.
- 1.ARIAD Pharmaceuticals Inc. ARIAD announces issuance of key U.S. patent on brigatinib [media release] 22 Apr 2015. http://www.ariad.com.
- 3.US FDA. Brigatinib [media release] 28 Apr 2017. http://www.fda.gov.
- 4.ARIAD Pharmaceuticals Inc. ARIAD announces submission of Marketing Authorization Application for brigatinib to the European Medicines Agency [media release] 6 Feb 2017. http://investor.ariad.com.
- 5.ARIAD Pharmaceuticals Inc. ARIAD to receive up to $200 million through Iclusig non-dilutive synthetic-royalty financing with PDL BioPharma [media release] 29 Jul 2015. http://www.ariad.com.
- 6.Takeda Pharmaceutical Company Limited. Takeda to acquire ARIAD Pharmaceuticals, Inc. [media release] 10 Jan 2017. https://www.takeda.com.
- 7.Takeda Pharmaceutical Company Limited. Takeda completes acquisition of ARIAD Pharmaceuticals, Inc. [media release] 17 Feb 2017. https://www.takeda.com.
- 8.ARIAD Pharmaceuticals Inc. ALUNBRIGTM (brigatinib): US prescribing information. 2017. https://www.accessdata.fda.gov/drugsatfda_docs/label/2017/208772lbl.pdf. Accessed 2 May 2017.