Ribociclib is an oral, small-molecule inhibitor of cyclin-dependent kinase (CDK) 4 and 6 that is under development by Novartis for the treatment of cancer. CDKs play an important role in cell cycle progression and cellular proliferation, and inhibition of these kinases with ribociclib results in G1 phase cell-cycle arrest. Ribociclib, in combination with an aromatase inhibitor, was recently approved in the USA for the first-line treatment of advanced breast cancer and has been submitted for approval in the EU for this indication. Ribociclib is undergoing further phase III investigations in breast cancer and is being evaluated in phase I or II trials for various solid tumour types and haematological malignancies. This article summarizes the milestones in the development of ribociclib leading to this first global approval for use as initial endocrine-based therapy for the treatment of postmenopausal women with hormone receptor-positive, human epidermal growth factor receptor 2-negative advanced or metastatic breast cancer.
KeywordsAromatase Inhibitor Letrozole Anastrozole Exemestane Fulvestrant
The preparation of this review was not supported by any external funding. During the peer review process the manufacturer of the agent under review was offered an opportunity to comment on the article. Changes resulting from any comments received were made by the author on the basis of scientific completeness and accuracy. Yahiya Y. Syed is a salaried employee of Adis, Springer SBM.
- 1.Novartis Pharmaceuticals. KISQALI® (ribociclib) tablets, for oral use: US prescribing Information. 2017. https://www.fda.gov. Accessed 31 Mar 2017.
- 5.Novartis. Novartis CDK4/6 inhibitor LEE011 (ribociclib) receives FDA Breakthrough Therapy designation as first-line treatment for HR+/HER2− advanced breast cancer [media release]. 03 Aug 2016. http://www.novartis.com.
- 6.Novartis. Novartis LEE011 (ribociclib) granted FDA Priority Review for first-line treatment of HR+/HER2− advanced breast cancer [media release]. 02 Nov 2016. http://www.novartis.com.
- 7.Astex Pharmaceuticals. Astex achieves milestone on US FDA filing of New Drug Application (NDA) for LEE011 (ribociclib) plus letrozole as a first-line treatment for HR+/HER2− advanced breast cancer [media release]. 3 Nov 2016. http://www.astx.com.
- 8.Astex Therapeutics. Astex announces new licensing and drug discovery alliance to develop novel cell cycle cancer drugs [media release]. 6 Dec 2005. http://www.astex-therapeutics.com.
- 9.Astex Therapeutics. Astex announces milestone in oncology collaboration [media release]. 11 Jan 2011. http://www.asthex.therapeutics.com.
- 10.Kim S, Loo A, Chopra R, et al. Abstract PR02: LEE011: an orally bioavailable, selective small molecule inhibitor of CDK4/6–reactivating Rb in cancer [abstract no. PR02]. Mol Cancer Ther. 2013;12(11 Suppl).Google Scholar
- 11.Radius. Radius Health announces clinical collaboration with a leading pharmaceutical company to evaluate RAD1901 combination regimens in advanced breast cancer [media release]. 27 Jan 2016. http://www.radiuspharm.com.
- 13.O’Brien NA, Tomaso ED, Ayala R, et al. In vivo efficacy of combined targeting of CDK4/6, ER and PI3K signaling in ER+ breast cancer. Cancer Res. 2014;74(19 Suppl 1).Google Scholar
- 14.Tao YF, Wang NN, Xu LX, et al. Molecular mechanism of G1 arrest and cellular senescence induced by LEE011, a novel CDK4/CDK6 inhibitor, in leukemia cells. Cancer Cell Int. 2017;17(35):1–17.Google Scholar
- 15.Bortolozzi R, Mattiuzzo E, Mariotto E, et al. CDK4/CDK6 inhibition in childhood B-acute lymphoblastic leukemia: a new strategy to mediate glucocorticoid sensitivity [abstract no. 1297]. Cancer Res. 2016;76(14 Suppl).Google Scholar
- 19.Juric D, Minister PN, Campone M, et al. Ribociclib (LEE011) and letrozole in estrogen receptor-positive (ER+), HER2-negative (HER2−) advanced breast cancer (aBC): phase Ib safety, preliminary efficacy and molecular analysis [abstract no. 568 plus poster]. J Clin Oncol. 2016;34(Suppl.).Google Scholar
- 20.Munster P, Ismail-Khan R, Garcia-Estevez L, et al. Phase Ib safety, efficacy, and molecular analysis of ribociclib (LEE011) plus letrozole for the treatment of ER+, HER2− advanced breast cancer [abstract no. P4-22-18 plus poster]. Cancer Res. 2017;77(4 Suppl.).Google Scholar
- 21.Juric D, Ismail-Khan R, Campone M, et al. Phase Ib/II study of ribociclib and alpelisib and letrozole in ER+, HER2-breast cancer: safety, preliminary efficacy and molecular analysis [abstract no. P3-14-01]. Cancer Res. 2016;76(4 Suppl.).Google Scholar
- 22.Tolaney SM, Forero-Torres A, Boni V, et al. Ribociclib + fulvestrant in postmenopausal women with HR+, HER2− advanced breast cancer (ABC) [abstract no. P4-22-12]. Cancer Res. 2016;77(4 Suppl).Google Scholar
- 23.Bardia A, Modi S, Oliveira M, et al. Triplet therapy with ribociclib, everolimus, and exemestane in women with HR+/HER2− advanced breast cancer [abstract no. P6-13-01 plus poster]. Cancer Res. 2016;76(4 Suppl.).Google Scholar
- 24.Peguero JA, O’Neil BH, Sohal D, et al. Genomic mutation profiling (GMP) and clinical outcome in patients (pts) treated with ribociclib (CDK4/6 inhibitor) in the SIGNATURE program [abstract no. 2528]. J Clin Oncol. 2016;34(Suppl).Google Scholar
- 25.Seront E, Schmitz S, Rottey S, et al. Phase I study of ribociclib plus cetuximab in patients with recurrent or metastatic squamous cell carcinoma of the head and neck [abstract no. 1002P]. Ann Oncol. 2016;27(Suppl 6).Google Scholar
- 27.Taylor M, Sosman J, Gonzalez R, et al. Phase Ib/II study of LEE011 (CDK4/6 inhibitor) and LGX818 (BRAF inhibitor) in BRAF-mutant melanoma [abstract no. 1086O]. Ann Oncol. 2014;25(Suppl. 4):iv374–5.Google Scholar
- 28.Geoerger B, Bourdeaut F, Dubois SG, et al. Phase I study of LEE011 (CDK4/6 inhibitor) in patients with malignant rhabdoid tumors, neuroblastoma, and cyclin D-CDK4/6 pathway-activated tumors [abstract no. 455 plus poster]. Ann Oncol. 2014;25(Suppl. 4).Google Scholar
- 29.Fasching PA, Decker T, Fehm T, et al. RIBECCA—a phase IIIb, multi-center, open label study for women with estrogen receptor positive locally advanced or metastatic breast cancer treated with ribociclib (LEE011) in combination with letrozole [abstract no. OT2-01-18 plus poster]. Cancer Res. 2017;77(4 Suppl.).Google Scholar
- 30.Khan QJ, Prochaska LH, Yuan Y, et al. Femara plus ribociclib or placebo as neo-adjuvant endocrine therapy for women with ER+, HER2-negative early breast cancer—the FELINE trial [abstract no. OT3-02-06 plus poster]. Cancer Res. 2017;77(4 Suppl.).Google Scholar