Plecanatide (TrulanceTM) is an oral guanylate cyclase-C agonist that is being developed by Synergy Pharmaceuticals for the treatment of gastrointestinal disorders, such as chronic idiopathic constipation (CIC) and irritable bowel syndrome with constipation (IBS-C). It is a synthetic analogue of human uroguanylin, a 16 amino acid peptide that regulates ion and fluid transport in the gastrointestinal tract. In January 2017, plecanatide received its first global approval in the USA for the treatment of adult patients with CIC. Plecanatide is undergoing phase III investigation in IBS-C. This article summarizes the milestones in the development of plecanatide leading to this first approval in CIC.
KeywordsCystic Fibrosis Transmembrane Conductance Regulator Dextran Sulphate Sodium Stool Consistency Linaclotide Chronic Idiopathic Constipation
The preparation of this review was not supported by any external funding. During the peer review process the manufacturer of the agent under review was offered an opportunity to comment on the article. Changes resulting from any comments received were made by the authors on the basis of scientific completeness and accuracy. Z. T. Al-Salama and Y. Y. Syed are salaried employees of Adis, Springer SBM.
- 1.Synergy Pharmaceuticals Inc. Synergy Pharmaceuticals announces positive results in first phase 3 trial of plecanatide in patients with irritable bowel syndrome with constipation (IBS-C) [media release]. 2016. http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20161209005270/en/Synergy-Pharmaceuticals-Announces-Positive-Results-Phase-3. Accessed 24 Feb 2017.
- 3.US FDA. Trulance (plecanatide) tablets: US prescribing information. 2017. http://content.stockpr.com/synergypharma/files/pages/synergypharma/db/147/description/03+Plecanatide+label_clean_2017-01-19.pdf. Accessed 24 Feb 2017.
- 4.Synergy Pharmaceuticals Inc. Synergy Pharmaceuticals announces closing of merger with Callisto Pharmaceuticals [media release]. 2013. http://ir.synergypharma.com/press-releases/detail/1203/synergy-pharmaceuticals-announces-closing-of-merger-with. Accessed 24 Feb 2017.
- 5.EpiStem Ltd. Callisto Pharmaceuticals selects EpiStem to provide specialised preclinical efficacy testing for guanilib, its lead drug candidate for IBD [media release]. 2006. http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/callisto-pharmaceuticals-selects-epistem-to-provide-specialised-preclinical-efficacy-testing-for-guanilib-its-lead-drug-candidate-for-ibd-69973687.html. Accessed 24 Feb 2017.
- 6.Synergy Pharmaceuticals Inc. Synergy Pharmaceuticals reports third quarter 2012 financial results [media release]. 2012. https://globenewswire.com/news-release/2012/11/13/504875/10012415/en/Synergy-Pharmaceuticals-Reports-Third-Quarter-2012-Financial-Results.html. Accessed 24 Feb 2017.
- 7.Synergy Pharmaceuticals Inc. European patent office upholds Synergy Pharmaceuticals’ grant of claims to plecanatide [media release]. 2012. http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20120104005235/en/European-Patent-Office-Upholds-Synergy-Pharmaceuticals%E2%80%99-Grant. Accessed 24 Feb 2017.
- 8.Callisto Pharmaceuticals Inc. Callisto Pharmaceuticals announces $5.14 million private placement financing of common stock and warrants; proceeds to fund acceleration of clinical trials of drug candidates and expansion of key strategic initiatives [media release]. 2006. http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20060207006138/en/Callisto-Pharmaceuticals-Announces-5.14-Million-Private-Placement. Accessed 24 Feb 2017.
- 9.Callisto Pharmaceuticals Inc. Callisto announces newly allowed patent on first-in-class drug for colon cancer and other diseases; research data supports drug’s potential as revolutionary, safe, non-toxic preventative for cancer and treatment for gastro-intestinal diseases [media release]. 2005. http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20051128005738/en/Callisto-Announces-Newly-Allowed-Patent-First-in-Class-Drug. Accessed 24 Feb 2017.
- 11.Shailubhai K, Beaufrand C, Palejwala V, et al. Oral treatment with plecanatide and SP-333, agonists of guanylate cyclase-C, attenuates visceral hypersensitivity in rat models [abstract no. PP095]. Neurogastroenterol Motil. 2014;26(Suppl 1):41.Google Scholar
- 12.Patwa V, Joshi A, Thadi A, et al. Plecanatide, like uroguanylin, activates guanylate cyclase-C signaling in a pH-dependent manner in T84 cells, and in murine intestinal epithelial cells and tissues [abstract no. 967]. Gastroenterology. 2016;150(4 Suppl 1):S193–4.Google Scholar
- 13.Brancale A, Shailubhai K, Ferla S, et al. Structural and dynamic features of plecanatide: insights from molecular dynamics simulations [abstract no. Mo1316]. Gastroenterology. 2016;150(4 Suppl 1):S695.Google Scholar
- 14.Miner PB, Jr., Koltun WD, Wiener GJ, et al. A randomized phase III clinical trial of plecanatide, a uroguanylin analog, in patients with chronic idiopathic constipation. Am J Gastroenterol. 2017. doi: 10.1038/ajg.2016.611.
- 15.Miner PB, Lentz JD, Berenguer R, et al. Efficacy and safety of plecanatide in the treatment of chronic idiopathic constipation (CIC): results from a multicenter phase III study (study-03) [abstract no. Su1214]. Gastroenterology. 2016;150(4 Suppl 1):S497–8.Google Scholar
- 16.Krause R, Foehl H, Koltun W, et al. Effect of plecanatide on stool consistency in the treatment of chronic idiopathic constipation (CIC): results from two phase III studies [abstract no. Sa1444]. Gastroenterology. 2016;150(4 Suppl 1):S317–8.Google Scholar
- 17.Nualart M, Morgan W, Berenguer R, et al. Effect of plecanatide on patient assessments in chronic idiopathic constipation (CIC): results from two phase III studies [abstract no. Sa1443]. Gastroenterology. 2016;150(4 Suppl 1):S317.Google Scholar
- 18.Rao S, Barrow L, Layton MB. Efficacy and safety of plecanatide in the treatment of chronic idiopathic constipation (CIC): pooled results from two phase 3 studies [abstract no. 523]. Am J Gastroenterol. 2016;111(Suppl 1):S237.Google Scholar
- 19.De La Portilla M, Barrow L, Hickey B. Safety and tolerability of plecanatide in patients with chronic idiopathic constipation: long-term evidence from an open-label study [abstract no. 544]. Am J Gastroenterol. 2016;111(Suppl 1):S248–9.Google Scholar
- 20.Synergy Pharmaceuticals Inc. Synergy Pharmaceuticals announces positive results in second phase 3 trial of plecanatide in patients with irritable bowel syndrome with constipation (IBS-C) [media release]. 2016. http://ir.synergypharma.com/press-releases/detail/1830/synergy-pharmaceuticals-announces-positive-results-in. Accessed 24 Feb 2017.
- 21.US FDA. FDA approves Trulance for chronic idiopathic constipation [media release]. 2017. http://www.fda.gov/NewsEvents/Newsroom/PressAnnouncements/ucm537725.htm. Accessed 24 Feb 2017.