Etelcalcetide (Parsabiv™) is a novel second generation calcimimetic agent developed by Amgen for the treatment of secondary hyperparathyroidism (SHPT), a complication of chronic kidney disease (CKD). Etelcalcetide reduces circulating levels of parathyroid hormone and calcium by binding directly to the calcium-sensing receptor. Intravenous etelcalcetide has been approved in the EU for the treatment of SHPT in adult patients with CKD on haemodialysis therapy. Regulatory applications for etelcalcetide in SHPT are also under review in the USA and Japan. This article summarizes the milestones in the development of etelcalcetide leading to this first global approval for the treatment of SHPT.
KeywordsChronic Kidney Disease Cinacalcet Serum iPTH Parathyroid Gland Hyperplasia Adynamic Bone Disease
The preparation of this review was not supported by any external funding. During the peer review process the manufacturer of the agent under review was offered an opportunity to comment on the article. Changes resulting from any comments received were made by the author on the basis of scientific completeness and accuracy. H. A. Blair is a salaried employee of Adis, Springer SBM.
- 3.Amgen. European Commission approves Parsabiv™ (etelcalcetide) for the treatment of secondary hyperparathyroidism in adults on hemodialysis [media release]. 11 Nov 2016. http://www.amgen.com.
- 4.Committee for Medicinal Products for Human Use (CHMP). Parsabiv: etelcalcetide—summary of opinion (initial authorisation). 2016. http://www.ema.europa.eu. Accessed 19 Oct 2016.
- 5.Amgen. Amgen submits marketing authorization application for novel intravenous calcimimetic etelcalcetide (AMG 416) to the European Medicines Agency [media release]. 2 Sep 2015. http://www.amgen.com.
- 6.Amgen. Amgen provides update on status of Parsabiv™ (etelcalcetide) New Drug Application (NDA) submitted to the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) [media release]. 24 Aug 2016. http://www.amgen.com.
- 7.Ono Pharmaceutical. ONO submits manufacturing and marketing approval application in Japan for “etelcalcetide hydrochloride” (ONO-5163), a calcimimetic agent, for secondary hyperparathyroidism in patients on hemodialysis [media release]. 14 Jan 2016. http://www.ono.co.jp.
- 8.Ono Pharmaceutical. Ono enters into license agreement with KAI Pharmaceuticals, Inc. for KAI 4169 [media release]. 15 Sep 2011. http://www.ono.co.jp.
- 9.Amgen. Amgen completes acquisition of KAI Pharmaceuticals [media release]. 5 Jul 2012. http://www.amgen.com.
- 14.Shen J, Vick A, Pickthorn K, et al. The PK/PD relationship of calcimimetic KAI-4169 following single-dose administration to healthy young males [abstract no. P1-236 ]. In: The Endocrine Society’s 93rd Annual Meeting and Expo. 2011.Google Scholar
- 16.Yokoyama K, Fukagawa M, Shigematsu T, et al. A novel intravenous calcimimetic, ONO-5163 (etelcalcetide): a multicenter, single and multiple dose study in Japanese hemodialysis patients with secondary hyperparathyroidism [abstract no. MP368]. Nephrol Dial Transplant. 2016;31(Suppl 1):i462.Google Scholar
- 19.Subramanian R, Zhu X, Hock MB, et al. Pharmacokinetics, biotransformation, and excretion of [(14)C]etelcalcetide (AMG 416) following a single microtracer intravenous dose in patients with chronic kidney disease on hemodialysis. Clin Pharmacokinet. 2016. doi: 10.1007/s40262-016-0433-0.PubMedGoogle Scholar
- 22.Cunningham J, Trial Steering Committee. A long acting intravenous calcimimetic (AMG416) for secondary hyperparathyroidism (SHPT) in haemodialysed patients [abstract no. 15-LBA-3558]. In: 52nd ERA-EDTA Congress. 2015.Google Scholar
- 23.Bushinsky DA, Block GA, Cheng S, et al. One year efficacy and safety of intravenous (IV) etelcalcetide (AMG 416) in patients on hemodialysis (HD) with secondary hyperparathyroidism (SHPT) [abstract no. SO030]. Nephrol Dial Transplant. 2016;31(Suppl 1):i13–4.Google Scholar
- 24.Fukagawa M, Yokoyama K, Shigematsu T, et al. Efficacy and safety of a novel intravenous calcimimetic, ONO-5163 (etelcalcetide) in Japanese hemodialysis patients with secondary hyperparathyroidism : results of a placebo controlled phase III study [abstract no. MP361]. Nephrol Dial Transplant. 2016;31(Suppl 1):i460.Google Scholar
- 25.Martin K, Block G, Cheng S, et al. Comparison of the efficacy and safety of intravenous (IV) etelcalcetide (AMG 416) and oral cinacalcet (CIN) in patients on hemodialysis (HD) with secondary hyperparathyroidism (sHPT) [abstract no. SA-PO1115]. J Am Soc Nephrol. 2015;26:B9.Google Scholar
- 28.European Medicines Agency. Parsabiv: summary of product characteristics. 2016. http://www.ema.europa.eu. Accessed 28 Nov 2016.