Cabozantinib: A Review in Advanced Renal Cell Carcinoma
- 725 Downloads
The multiple tyrosine kinase inhibitor (TKI) cabozantinib (Cabometyx™) is approved in the USA for the treatment of patients with advanced renal cell carcinoma (RCC) who have received prior antiangiogenic therapy. In the EU, cabozantinib is indicated for the treatment of advanced RCC in adults following prior vascular endothelial growth factor (VEGF)-targeted therapy. In adults with advanced or metastatic clear-cell RCC who had previously received VEGF receptor (VEGFR) TKIs, progression-free survival (PFS) and overall survival (OS) were significantly prolonged in patients who received oral cabozantinib versus oral everolimus in the pivotal METEOR trial. Objective response was achieved in a significantly higher proportion of patients receiving cabozantinib than those receiving everolimus. Cabozantinib had a manageable adverse events profile in patients with advanced RCC. Thus, cabozantinib is an important new option for use in patients with advanced RCC who have previously received antiangiogenic therapy.
KeywordsRenal Cell Carcinoma Sunitinib Everolimus Axitinib Advanced Renal Cell Carcinoma
During the peer review process, the manufacturer of cabozantinib was also offered an opportunity to review this article. Changes resulting from comments received were made on the basis of scientific and editorial merit.
Compliance with Ethical Standards
The preparation of this review was not supported by any external funding.
Conflict of interest
Z T. Al-Salama and G.M. Keating are salaried employees of Adis/Springer, are responsible for the article content and declare no relevant conflicts of interest.
- 2.Escudier B, Porta C, Schmidinger M, et al. Renal cell carcinoma: ESMO clinical practice guidelines for diagnosis, treatment and follow-up. Ann Oncol. 2014;25 (Suppl 3):iii49–56.Google Scholar
- 4.National Comprehensive Cancer Network. NCCN clinical practice guidelines in oncology: kidney cancer (version 3.2016). 2016. http://www.nccn.org. Accessed 2 Nov 2016.
- 7.Exelixis Inc. Cabometyx™ (cabozantinib) tablets for oral use: US prescribing information. 2016. http://www.accessdata.fda.gov. Accessed 2 Nov 2016.
- 8.European Medicines Agency. Cabometyx (cabozantinib) film-coated tablets: EU summary of product characteristics. 2016. http://ec.europa.eu/. Accessed 2 Nov 2016.
- 13.Lacy S, Hutmacher MM, Yang B, et al. Population pharmacokinetic (PopPK) and exposure-response (ER) modeling of cabozantinib (C) in patients (pts) with renal cell carcinoma (RCC) in the phase 3 METEOR study [abstract no. 2565 plus poster]. J Clin Oncol. 2016;34(Suppl).Google Scholar
- 18.Cella D, Escudier B, Tannir N, et al. Quality of life (QoL) in the phase 3 METEOR trial of cabozantinib vs everolimus for advanced renal cell carcinoma (RCC) [abstract no. 816P]. Ann Oncol. 2016;27(Suppl 6):vi282.Google Scholar
- 19.Powles T, Motzer RJ, Escudier BJ, et al. Outcomes based on prior VEGFR TKI and PD-1 checkpoint inhibitor therapy in METEOR, a randomized phase 3 trial of cabozantinib (C) vs everolimus (E) in advanced renal cell carcinoma (RCC) [abstract no. 4557 plus poster]. J Clin Oncol. 2016;34(Suppl).Google Scholar
- 20.Escudier BJ, Powles T, Motzer RJ, et al. Efficacy of cabozantinib (C) vs everolimus (E) in patients (pts) with advanced renal cell carcinoma (RCC) and bone metastases (mets) from the phase III METEOR study [abstract no. 4558 plus poster]. J Clin Oncol. 2016;34(Suppl).Google Scholar