Atezolizumab: First Global Approval
Atezolizumab (Tecentriq™)—a monoclonal antibody targeting programmed death ligand 1 (PD-L1 or CD274 antigen)—is being developed by Genentech as treatment for a variety of haematological malignancies and solid tumours. It been approved in the US as a second-line therapy for urothelial carcinoma and is awaiting approval as a second-line therapy for non-small cell lung cancer. This article summarizes the milestones in the development of atezolizumab leading to this first approval for urothelial carcinoma.
KeywordsDocetaxel Objective Response Rate Pemetrexed Urothelial Carcinoma Metastatic Renal Cell Carcinoma
The preparation of this review was not supported by any external funding. During the peer review process the manufacturer of the agent under review was offered an opportunity to comment on the article. Changes resulting from any comments received were made by the author on the basis of scientific completeness and accuracy. A. Markham is a contracted employee of Adis, Springer SBM.
- 1.FDA. FDA approves new, targeted treatment for bladder cancer [media release]. 6 Jun 2016. http://www.fda.gov.
- 3.Genentech Inc. Prescribing information for Tecentriq™ (atezolizumab) injection, for intravenous use. 2016. http://www.gene.com/download/pdf/tecentriq_prescribing.pdf. Accessed 20 May 2016.
- 4.Rosenberg JE, Hoffman-Censits J, Powles T, et al. Atezolizumab in patients with locally advanced and metastatic urothelial carcinoma who have progressed following treatment with platinum-based chemotherapy: a single-arm, multicentre, phase 2 trial. Lancet. 2016;387(10031):1909–20.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 5.Petrylak DP, Powles T, Bellmunt J, et al. A phase Ia study of MPDL3280A (anti-PDL1): updated response and survival data in urothelial bladder cancer (UBC) [abstract no. 4501]. J Clin Oncol. 2015;33(Suppl).Google Scholar
- 8.Spigel DR, Chaft JE, Gettinger SN, et al. Clinical activity and safety from a phase II study (FIR) of MPDL3280A (anti-PDL1) in PD-L1-selected patients with non-small cell lung cancer (NSCLC) [abstract no. 8028]. J Clin Oncol. 2015;33(Suppl).Google Scholar
- 9.Camidge R, Liu SV, Powderly J, et al. Atezolizumab (MPDL3280A) combined with platinum-based chemotherapy in non-small cell Lung cancer (NSCLC): a phase Ib safety and efficacy update [abstract no. ORAL02.07]. J Thorac Oncol. 2015;10(9 Suppl 2):S176–7.Google Scholar
- 10.Emens LA, Braiteh FS, Cassier P, et al. Inhibition of PD-L1 by MPDL3280A leads to clinical activity in patients with metastatic triple-negative breast cancer (TNBC) [abstract no. 2859]. Cancer Res. 2015;75(15 Suppl).Google Scholar
- 11.Adams S, Diamond J, Hamilton E, et al. Safety and clinical activity of atezolizumab (anti-PDL1) in combination with nab-paclitaxel in patients with metastatic triple-negative breast cancer [abstract no. P2-11-06]. Cancer Res. 2016;76(4 Suppl).Google Scholar
- 13.Sznol M, McDermott DF, Jones SF, et al. Phase Ib evaluation of MPDL3280A (anti-PDL1) in combination with bevacizumab (bev) in patients (pts) with metastatic renal cell carcinoma (mRCC) [abstract no. 410]. J Clin Oncol. 2015;33(Suppl 7).Google Scholar
- 14.Bendell J, Kim TW, Goh BC, et al. Clinical activity and safety of cobimetinib (cobi) and atezolizumab in colorectal cancer (CRC) [abstract no. 3502]. J Clin Oncol. 2016;34(Suppl).Google Scholar
- 15.Boyd Z, Smith D, Baker B, et al. Development of a PD-L1 companion diagnostic IHC assay (SP142) for atezolizumab [abstract no. B001]. Cancer Immunol Res. 2016;4(Suppl).Google Scholar
- 16.Castellano D, Albers P, Gschwend JE, et al. A phase III study of the efficacy and safety of adjuvant atezolizumab (anti-PDL1) vs observation in patients with muscle-invasive urothelial carcinoma of the bladder (IMvigor 010) [abstract]. Eur Urol. 2016;15(3 Suppl).Google Scholar
- 17.Herbst RS, De Marinis F, Jassem J, et al. Phase III clinical trials of atezolizumab compared with standard chemotherapy in PD-L1-selected chemotherapy-naive patients with advanced NSCLC [abstract no. 355TiP]. Ann Oncol. 2015;26(Suppl 9):i105–6.Google Scholar
- 19.Rizvi NA, Chow LQM, Dirix LY, et al. Clinical trials of MPDL3280A (anti-PDL1) in patients (pts) with non-small cell lung cancer (NSCLC) [abstract no. TPS8123]. J Clin Oncol. 2014;32(5 Suppl).Google Scholar
- 20.Emens L, Adams S, Loi S, et al. A phase III randomized trial of atezolizumab in combination with nab- paclitaxel as first line therapy for patients with metastatic triple-negative breast cancer (mTNBC) [abstract no. OT1-01-06]. Cancer Res. 2015;76(4 Suppl).Google Scholar