Author’s Reply to Proost: “Challenges in Individualizing Drug Dosage for Intensive Care Unit Patients”
- 131 Downloads
I refer to the comments by Dr. Proost  on my paper published in Clinical Pharmacokinetics in August 2016 . Dr. Proost says that I use an “incorrect approach” to pharmacokinetics, and that my conclusions “might have been different if I had used the correct approach.” He also makes many other assertions, several of which have significant clinical implications, so there is a lot to discuss, even after omitting several points.
KeywordsDirect Information Elimination Rate Constant Unstable Patient Compartmental Analysis Litmus Test
Compliance with Ethical Standards
Conflict of interest
R. Jelliffe has no conflicts of interest to declare. No funding was received in the preparation of this manuscript.
- 1.Proost JH. Comment on: "Challenges in individualizing drug dosage for intensive care unit patients". [letter]. Clin Pharmacokinet.Google Scholar
- 2.Jelliffe R. Challenges in individualizing drug dosage for intensive care unit patients: is augmented renal clearance what we really want to know? Some suggested management approaches and clinical software tools. Clin Pharmacokinet. 2016;55(8):897–905. doi: 10.1007/s40262-016-0369-4.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 4.Bayard D, Jelliffe R, Neely M. Bayes risk as an alternative to fisher information in determining experimental designs for nonparametric models [slides and abstracts]. Population Optimal Design of Experiments Conference, Lilly Laboratories, Erl Wood Manor, Windesham, Surrey, UK, June 15, 2013. http://www.maths.qmul.ac.uk/~bb/PODE/PODE2013_Slides/PODE2013_RogerJelliffe.pdf. Accessed 8 Dec 2016.
- 5.Jelliffe R, Bayard D, Neely M. MMopt—an optimal TDM protocol strategy based on Bayes risk and weighted Bayes risk [oral presentation]. In: 14th congress of the international Association for Therapeutic Drug Monitoring and Clinical Toxicology, 14 Oct 2015, Rotterdam.Google Scholar
- 7.Blom HAP. An efficient filter for abruptly changing systems [abstract]. In: 23rd IEEE conference on decision and control, 12–14 Dec 1984, Las Vegas.Google Scholar
- 9.Macdonald I, Staatz C, Jelliffe R, Thomson A. Evaluation and comparison of simple multiple model, richer data multiple model, and sequential interacting multiple model (IMM) Bayesian analyses of gentamicin and vancomycin data collected from patients undergoing cardiothoracic surgery. Ther Drug Monit. 2008;30:67–74.CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 12.Goodwin G, Payne R. Dynamic system identification: experiment design and data analysis. New York: Academic Press; 1977. p. 50 (Theorem 3.4.1).Google Scholar
- 14.Mehvar R. The relationship among pharmacokinetic parameters: effects of altered kinetics on the drug plasma concentration-time profiles. Am J Pharm Educ. 2004;68(2):1–9.Google Scholar
- 15.Jelliffe R, Neely M, editors. Individualized drug therapy for patients: basic foundations, relevant software and clinical applications. 1st ed. Elsevier.Google Scholar