Rifamycin SV MMX®: A Review in the Treatment of Traveller’s Diarrhoea
- 140 Downloads
Rifamycin SV MMX® (Aemcolo™; Relafalk™) is a novel oral formulation of the antibacterial rifamycin SV that uses MultiMatrix (MMX®) technology to enable colonic delivery. Specifically, the active ingredient (rifamycin SV) is released throughout the colon, where it acts locally in the intestinal lumen; systemic absorption is minimal. Rifamycin SV MMX® exhibits antibacterial activity against a broad spectrum of clinically relevant enteropathogens and is available in the EU and the USA for the treatment of adults with traveller’s diarrhoea. In two multinational, phase III studies, rifamycin SV MMX® (400 mg twice daily for 3 days) effectively shortened the duration of non-dysenteric traveller’s diarrhoea in adults, being significantly more effective than placebo and noninferior to ciprofloxacin in reducing median time to last unformed stool. As expected (given its poor systemic absorption), rifamycin SV MMX® was well tolerated in this patient population, with the overall incidence of treatment-emergent adverse events generally similar to those of placebo and ciprofloxacin. Current evidence indicates that twice-daily rifamycin SV MMX® is an effective and well tolerated treatment option for shortening the duration of non-dysenteric traveller’s diarrhoea in adults.
During the peer review process, the manufacturer of rifamycin SV MMX® was also offered an opportunity to review this article. Changes resulting from comments received were made on the basis of scientific and editorial merit.
Compliance with Ethical Standards
The preparation of this review was not supported by any external funding.
Conflict of interest
Sheridan Hoy is a salaried employee of Adis International Ltd/Springer Nature, is responsible for the article content and declares no relevant conflicts of interest.
- 2.BMJ Best Practice. Traveler’s diarrhea. 2018. https://bestpractice.bmj.com/topics/en-us/601. Accessed 13 May 2019.
- 6.Cosmo Pharmaceuticals. Cosmo announces its licensee Dr. Falk Pharma received approval in the European Decentralized Procedure for Relafalk (Rifamycin SV MMX) in travelers’ diarrhea. 2018. http://www.cosmopharma.com/. Accessed 13 May 2019.
- 8.US FDA Center for Drug Evaluation and Research. Multi-discipline review. 2018. http://www.fda.gov/. Accessed 13 May 2019.
- 10.Cosmo Pharmaceuticals. Aemcolo (Rifamycin SV MMX®): US prescribing information. 2018. http://www.fda.gov/. Accessed 13 May 2019.
- 11.Dr Falk Pharma GmbH. Relafalk (rifamycin SV MMX®) 200 mg modified-release tablets: EU summary of product characteristics 2018. https://www.gov.uk/pil-spc. Accessed 16 May 2019.
- 14.Steffen R, Jiang ZD, Gracias Garcia ML, et al. Rifamycin SV-MMX® for treatment of travelers’ diarrhea: equally effective as ciprofloxacin and not associated with the acquisition of multi-drug resistant bacteria. J Travel Med. 2018. https://doi.org/10.1093/jtm/tay116.CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar