Current Ebola Virus Vaccine Progress
Over 40 years since the discovery of Ebola virus, the anti-Ebola virus vaccine efforts of the past 2 decades have culminated in over 12 different vaccine candidates that have been placed into a number of clinical trial phases, past and present. Of these 12 vaccines, four candidates are up to or in phase II clinical trials, and only one has completed the phase III clinical trial stage. While remarkable progress toward a national regulatory agency-approved vaccine for Ebola virus has been made, there remain unanswered questions on issues such as, but not limited to, vaccine protective immunity and duration of that immunity, and the appropriate vaccination strategy for those at risk of Ebola virus infection.
We thank Heinz Feldmann for his critical review of the manuscript.
Compliance with Ethical Standards
This article was funded by the Division of Intramural Research, NIAID, NIH and UC7 AI094660 to UTMB for BSL-4 operations.
Conflict of interest
Andrea Marzi and Chad Mire have no conflicts of interests.
- 6.Branswell H. As foreign powers approve Ebola vaccines, U.S. drug makers lag in development pipeline. https://www.statnews.com/2017/12/08/ebola-vaccine-development/.
- 7.Feldmann H, Sanchez A, Geisbert TW. Filoviridae: Marburg and Ebola viruses. In: Knipe DM, Howley PM, editors. Fields virology. Philadelphia: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins; 2013. p. 923–56.Google Scholar
- 8.WHO. Ebola situation report, 30 March 2016. Geneva: World Health Organization; 2016.Google Scholar
- 11.Li JX, Hou LH, Meng FY, et al. Immunity duration of a recombinant adenovirus type-5 vector-based Ebola vaccine and a homologous prime-boost immunisation in healthy adults in China: final report of a randomised, double-blind, placebo-controlled, phase 1 trial. Lancet Glob Health. 2017;5:e324–34.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 26.Tapia MD, Sow SO, Lyke KE, et al. Use of ChAd3-EBO-Z Ebola virus vaccine in Malian and US adults, and boosting of Malian adults with MVA-BN-Filo: a phase 1, single-blind, randomised trial, a phase 1b, open-label and double-blind, dose-escalation trial, and a nested, randomised, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial. Lancet Infect Dis. 2016;16:31–42.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 31.World Health Organization. Meeting of the strategic advisory group of experts on immunization, April 2017—conclusions and recommendations. Wkly Epidemiol Rec. 2017;92:301–20.Google Scholar
- 32.Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. 2018 Eastern Democratic Republic of the Congo. https://www.cdc.gov/vhf/ebola/outbreaks/drc/2018-august.html.
- 33.Medcins sans Frontieres. DRC 2018 Ebola outbreaks—Crisis update November 2018. https://www.msf.org/drc-2018-ebola-outbreak-crisis-update.
- 34.World Health Organization. Ebola virus disease—Democratic Republic of the Congo. http://www.who.int/csr/don/14-september-2018-ebola-drc/en/.
- 35.World Health Organization. Ebola situation report, 13 November 2018. Geneva: World Health Organization; 2018.Google Scholar
- 36.Hackett DW. Uganda prepares it’s Ebola defense. https://www.precisionvaccinations.com/merck-rvsv-ebola-vaccine-candidate-successfully-given-more-16000-volunteers-africa.