Short-Term Effects of Tolvaptan in Tricuspid Insufficiency Combined with Left Heart Valve Replacement-Caused Volume-Overload Patients: Results of a Prospective Pilot Study
- 153 Downloads
Our objective was to explore the effects of tolvaptan as a new therapeutic approach in patients with right heart failure with tricuspid insufficiency (TI).
This prospective, multicenter, non-randomized controlled pilot study enrolled patients (N = 40) with TI from the Shanghai Chest Hospital and Shanghai Tongren Hospital who fulfilled inclusion criteria between March 2015 and June 2016. Participants were assigned to receive either tolvaptan combined with torasemide (n = 20) or torasemide monotherapy (n = 20; control group). The primary endpoints were changes in patient weight and in tricuspid annular plane systolic excursion (TAPSE) after 10 days of treatment. The secondary endpoints included net fluid balance and cardiac functions before and after medication from the first to the tenth day of treatment. Safety was evaluated by monitoring adverse and serious adverse events.
TAPSE significantly increased in the tolvaptan group compared with the control group after 10 days of medication (P = 0.029). Daily weight losses in the tolvaptan group significantly increased as the time of treatment increased (time × group, P = 0.022). Recovery to New York Heart Association (NYHA) grade I occurred 4 days earlier in the tolvaptan group. In addition, the net fluid balance and median net fluid balance were significantly higher in the tolvaptan group. Eight adverse events and one serious adverse event were recorded in the tolvaptan group and 15 adverse events were recorded in the control group.
Our results indicate that tolvaptan might be a useful and safe drug to improve heart function in patients with right heart failure with TI after left heart valve replacement.
Clinical Trial Registration
ClinicalTrials.gov identifier no. NCT02644616.
Compliance with Ethical Standards
Conflicts of interest
Fang Yuan, Zhangmin Wu, Li Jiang, Jun Zhou, Lei Xu, Hua Liu, Lan Ma, Zhenzhou Zhai, and Junjie Zhang have no conflicts of interest that might be relevant to the contents of this manuscript.
Availability of data and material
All data generated or analyzed during this study are included in this article.
This study was funded by the Acute Heart Failure Specialist (Grant number: 20162002).
- 2.Vargas Abello LM, Klein AL, Marwick TH, Nowicki ER, Rajeswaran J, Puwanant S, et al. Understanding right ventricular dysfunction and functional tricuspid regurgitation accompanying mitral valve disease. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2013;145(5):1234.e5–1241.e5. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jtcvs.2012.01.088.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 6.Udelson JE, Bilsker M, Hauptman PJ, Sequeira R, Thomas I, O’Brien T, et al. A multicenter, randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled study of tolvaptan monotherapy compared to furosemide and the combination of tolvaptan and furosemide in patients with heart failure and systolic dysfunction. J Card Fail. 2011;17(12):973–81. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cardfail.2011.08.005.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 11.Zulkifli Amin H, Suridanda Danny S. Tolvaptan: a novel diuretic in heart failure management. J Tehran Heart Center. 2016;11(1):1–5.Google Scholar
- 12.Ikeda Y, Inomata T, Iida Y, Nabeta T, Iwamoto M, Ishii S, et al. The vasopressin V2-receptor antagonist, tolvaptan, can not only induce aquaresis but also enhance natriuresis in heart failure patients refractory to loop diuretics. Eur Heart J. 2013;34(suppl_1):P3338-P. https://doi.org/10.1093/eurheartj/eht309.p3338.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 15.Takano H, Hiramatsu M, Kida H, Uenoyama M, Horiguchi K, Yamauchi T, et al. Severe tricuspid regurgitation after mitral valve surgery: the risk factors and results of the aggressive application of prophylactic tricuspid valve repair. Surg Today. 2017;47(4):445–56. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00595-016-1395-4.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 17.Gheorghiade M, Niazi I, Ouyang J, Czerwiec F, Kambayashi J, Zampino M, et al. Vasopressin V2-receptor blockade with tolvaptan in patients with chronic heart failure: results from a double-blind, randomized trial. Circulation. 2003;107(21):2690–6. https://doi.org/10.1161/01.cir.0000070422.41439.04.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 20.Kinugawa K, Sato N, Inomata T, Shimakawa T, Iwatake N, Mizuguchi K. Efficacy and safety of tolvaptan in heart failure patients with volume overload. Circ J. 2014;78(4):844–52.Google Scholar
- 21.Gheorghiade M, Gattis WA, O’Connor CM, Adams KF Jr, Elkayam U, Barbagelata A, et al. Effects of tolvaptan, a vasopressin antagonist, in patients hospitalized with worsening heart failure: a randomized controlled trial. JAMA. 2004;291(16):1963–71. https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.291.16.1963.CrossRefGoogle Scholar