Detection of Amines in Lamb Spoilage by Optical Waveguide Sensor Based on Bromophenol Blue-Silicon Composite Film
- 6 Downloads
We herein report the development of a bromophenol blue(BPB)-silicone composite film/K+-exchange glass optical waveguide(OWG) sensor for the detection of amines produced during the spoilage of lamb. The optical and structural properties of the sensitive thin film were studied by ultraviolet -visible(UV-Vis) spectroscopy, and the light source of the OWG detecting system was selected. Gas sensing measurements showed that the sensor exhibited a good selectivity, high sensitivity, and short response-recovery time towards volatile amine gases in the 0.00117— 11.72 mg/g range. The as-prepared optical waveguide device was subsequently applied in the determination of gases (namely trimethylamine, dimethylamine, and ammonia) emitted from the lamb samples(5 g) stored at room temper ature( 25 °C) and in a refrigerator(5 °C) for 0—4 d, and the total volatile basic nitrogen(TVB-N) contents were detected by UV-Vis spectroscopy, and the results were compared with those obtained using our detector. It was found that the sensing element was capable of detecting mixed gases produced by the decomposition of lamb samples in a refrigerator for 0.5 h, where the TVB-N content was lower than 35 μg/g.
KeywordsOptical waveguide sensor Composite film Amine gas Lamb freshness detection
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Naila A., Flint S., Fletcher G., Bremer P., Meerdink G., Journal of Food Science, 2010, 75, R139Google Scholar
- Saad A. A., El-Sikaily A. M. A., El-Badawi E. S., El-Sawaf G. A., Shaheen N. E., Omar M. M., Zakaria M. A., Arabian Journal of Chemistry, 2016, 9, S787Google Scholar
- Zhang K., Peng K. H., Du H. F., J. Preventive Med. Inf., 2009, 1, 78Google Scholar
- Xu Z. W., Xu J., Xu Q. B., Dong J. F., Opto-Electronic Engineering, 2011, 38, 75Google Scholar
- Yimit A., Itoh K., Murabayashi M., Electrochemistry, 2001, 69, 863Google Scholar
- Patime Y., Abliz Y., Ebeyla R., Patima N., Chem. Res. Chinese Universities, 2012, 28, 682Google Scholar
- Winans R., Journal of Chemical Education, 1975, 52Google Scholar
- Crowley K., Pacquit A., Hayes J., King T. L., Diamond D., Sensors, 2005, 754Google Scholar