Effect of ethanolic preparations of cinnamon (Cinnamomum zeylanicum) extract on hematologic and histometric parameters of selected organs in Alloxan® induced diabetic female albino rats
- 14 Downloads
Assessment of the antidiabetic effect of cinnamon bark extract in histologic damages and some hematologic parameters in Alloxan® induced diabetic female albino rats.
Thirty female albino rats weighing 150–230 g were divided into five groups (n = 6): normal (G1) and diabetic groups (intraperitoneally Alloxan®-injected) including diabetic control (G2), Getformin @ 0.25 (G3), CE @ 0.10 (G4), and CE @ 0.20 g/kg b.wt. (G5) for 49 days. Blood glucose level and weight were measured on weekly interval for the period of seven weeks (49th day). Blood samples were collected for hematologic analysis. Tissue samples from uterus, liver and kidneys were processed by routine paraffine technique. Histologic sections of uterus were studied to measure endometrial glands area and thickness of endo- and myometrium. Liver and kidneys were evaluated for diabetes-induced degenerative changes and antidiabetic effect of cinnamon extract (CE). One-way analysis of variance followed by Tukey test were used to compare the group means for each parameter.
Statistical analysis revealed significant (P < 0.05) deleterious effects of diabetes on all parameters studied, however, CE recovered hematological parameters significantly (P < 0.05) as seen in G3 and G5 groups which showed significant (P < 0.05) improvement in uterus, liver and kidneys’ histology. G4 significantly (P < 0.05) reduced the blood glucose at the 4th week which was maintained in subsequent weeks while G3 and G5 had significantly (P < 0.05) lowered the blood glucose from 1st week, although highly significant (P < 0.01) effect was observed during last two weeks of the study.
Anti-diabetic activity of cinnamon extract was found significant in Alloxan® induced hyperglycemic rats in dose-dependent manners. CE has potential to restore diabetes induced hematological disturbances and histological damages in uterus, liver and kidney due to the presence of cinnamic acid, anhydride tannin and methyl-hydroxy chalcone polymer. Hence, CE can be recommended for the management of glucose homeostasis to avoid diabetes-associated disturbances in female rats.
KeywordsDiabetes Cinnamon Internal organs Hematology Histology
AS Qureshi, M Usman and N Ehsan conceived the idea and finalized manuscript: AS Qureshi and M Usman supervised the lab work. J Ghaffor, A Sarfraz and Z Umar conducted lab work, applied statistics and prepared rough draft.
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
Authors have no conflict of interest to declare.
All procedures performed in this study involving rats were in accordance with the research ethical standards of the University of Agriculture, Faisalabad, Pakistan.
- 3.Usman M, Ali MZ, Qureshi A, Ateeq MK, Nisa FU. Short term effect of dose-dependent camel milk in Alloxan induced diabetes in female albino rats. J Anim Plant Sci. 2018;28(5):1292-1300.Google Scholar
- 5.Baragob AEA. Composition and hypoglycemic effect of camel milk in streptozotocin-induced diabetic rats. Biochem Biotechnol Res. 2015;3:38–42.Google Scholar
- 16.Oyedemi S, Yakubu M, Afolayan A. Antidiabetic activities of aqueous leaves extract of Leonotis leonurus in streptozotocin induced diabetic rats. J Med Plant Res. 2011;5(1):119–25.Google Scholar
- 17.Ateeq MK, Qureshi AS, Usman M, Shahid RU, Khamas WA. Effect of Orally Administered Camel Milk in Alloxan® Induced Albino Rats: Long Term Study on Maternal Uterus and Neonates Selected Organs. Pak Vet J. 2019;39(1):81-85.Google Scholar
- 19.Mousa NK, Sabbar SS, Al-Karime ASA, Ahmed IA. Complete Blood Count and Cinnamic acid activity against Cytoxan in albino mice. Baghdad Sci J. 2014;11(2):1274-1280.Google Scholar
- 22.Ali MZ, Qureshi AS, Usman M, Kausar R, Ateeq MK. Comparative effect of camel milk and black seed oil in induced diabetic female albino rats. Pak Vet J. 2017;37:293–8.Google Scholar
- 23.Ragavan B, Krishnakumari S. Effect of T. arjuna stem bark extract on histopathology of liver, kidney and pancreas of alloxan-induced diabetic rats. Afr J Biomed Res. 2006;9(3):189–197.Google Scholar
- 27.Cheng D, Liang B, Li Y. Antihyperglycemic effect of Ginkgo biloba extract in streptozotocin-induced diabetes in rats. Biomed Res Int. 2012;2013.Google Scholar