Adsorption and in vitro release study of curcumin form polyethyleneglycol functionalized multi walled carbon nanotube: kinetic and isotherm study
- 40 Downloads
Polyethylene glycol functionalized with oxygenated multi-walled carbon nanotubes (O-PEG-MWCNTs) as an efficient nanomaterial for the in vitro adsorption/release of curcumin (CUR) anticancer agent. The synthesized material was morphologically characterized using scanning electron microscopy, Fourier transform infrared spectroscopy and transmission electron microscopy. In addition, the CUR adsorption process was assessed with kinetic and isotherm models fitting well with pseudo-second order and Langmuir isotherms. The results showed that the proposed O-PEG-MWCNTs has a high adsorption capacity for CUR (2.0 × 103 mg/g) based on the Langmuir model. The in vitro release of CUR from O-PEG-MWCNTs was studied in simulating human body fluids with different pHs (ABS pH 5, intestinal fluid pH 6.6 and body fluid pH 7.4). Lastly, to confirm the success compliance of the O-PEG-MWCNT nanocomposite as a drug delivery system, the parameters affecting the CUR release such as temperature and PEG content were investigated. As a result, the proposed nanocomposite could be used as an efficient carrier for CUR delivery with an enhanced prolonged release property.
KeywordsMulti walled carbon nanotubes Curcumin Adsorption isotherm Release Drug delivery
Authors would like to thanks Universiti Teknologi Malaysia (UTM) for the facilities and financial support.
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
“Authors declare that there is no conflict of interest”.
- 1.Rathaur P, Raja W, Ramteke PW, John SA. Turmeric: the golden spice of life. Int J Pharm Sci Res. 2012;3:1987.Google Scholar
- 7.Chattopadhyay I, Biswas K, Bandyopadhyay U, Banerjee RK. Turmeric and curcumin: biological actions and medicinal applications. Curr Sci. 2004;87:44–53.Google Scholar
- 30.Dolatimehr F, Karimi-Sari H, Rezaee-Zavareh MS, Alavian SM, Behnava B, Gholami-Fesharaki M, et al. Combination of sofosbuvir, pegylated-interferon and ribavirin for treatment of hepatitis C virus genotype 1 infection: a systematic review and meta-analysis. DARU J Pharm Sci. 2017;25:11.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 34.AM K, Rashid NA. Study of stability and Dispersibility of oxidized multiwall carbon nanotube and characterization with analytical methods for bioapplication. J Chem Health Ris. 2011;1:17–22.Google Scholar
- 45.Dada A. Olalekan, Olatunya AM, Dada. Langmuir, Freundlich, Temkin and Dubinin–Radushkevich isotherms studies of equilibrium sorption of Zn2+ unto phosphoric acid modified Rice husk. IOSR J Appl Chem. 3:2278–5736.Google Scholar
- 53.Gabris MA, Jume BH, Rezaali M, Shahabuddin S, Rashidi Nodeh H, Saidur R. Novel magnetic graphene oxide functionalized cyanopropyl nanocomposite as an adsorbent for the removal of Pb (II) ions from aqueous media: equilibrium and kinetic studies. Environ Sci Pollut Res. 2018;25:27122–32.CrossRefGoogle Scholar