Evolution Behavior of γ-Al3.5FeSi in Mg Melt and a Separation Method of Fe from Al–Si–Fe Alloys
- 331 Downloads
The recycling of high Fe-content Al–Si alloys is a green industry. Eliminating the harmful effect of Fe, achieving the separation of Al and Fe is one of the key problems. Different from traditional methods for iron removal, a novel method using magnesium melt to separate Al and Fe is proposed. By introducing Al–14Si–5Fe alloy into Mg melt, it was found that the γ-Al3.5FeSi phase evolves to Al3SiFe3.5 and Al5Fe2 through the melting and solidification process. Compared with the primary Al-rich γ-Al3.5FeSi phase, the formation of Fe-rich Al3SiFe3.5 is quite beneficial for the separation of Al and Fe. Mg–Si–Al and Mg–Si–Fe alloys can be obtained at the top and bottom of the cooled ingot, respectively. The results in this study provide meaningful suggestions for recycling scrap Al–Si–Fe materials.
KeywordsAl–Si–Fe Mg melt Fe-rich phase evolution Separation
This research was financially supported by the National Natural Science Foundation of China (No. 51601106), the Fundamental Research Funds of Shandong University, and China Postdoctoral Science Foundation (No. 2016M600536).
- X.Y. Yan, S.C. Sun, Z.Y. Jiang, Acta Metall. Sin. (Engl. Lett.) 15, 531 (2002)Google Scholar
- S.K. Das, J.A.S. Green, J.G. Kaufman, Light Metal Age 68, 42 (2010)Google Scholar
- C.P. Li, X. Liu, J. Tian, Acta Metall. Sin. 25, 72 (1989)Google Scholar
- X.F. Liu, X.F. Bian, Y.X. Liu, G.H. Zhang, J.J. Ma, Acta Metall. Sin. 33, 1062 (1997)Google Scholar
- N. El-Kaddah, A.D. Patel, T.T. Natarajan, JO M 47, 46 (1995)Google Scholar