Vertebroplasty in Elderly Patients: A Clinical Effectiveness Analysis
- 21 Downloads
Purpose of Review
Minimally invasive vertebral augmentation procedures (VAP) have been first introduced to provide pain relief in patients with osteoporotic vertebral fractures (VF). However, in the last decade scientific literature revealed to be quite controversial about their efficacy. The aim of this review was to analyze clinical evidences from current literature, supported by our own experience.
Compared to conservative therapies, VAP represent an effective treatment for recent VF and, in elderly patients, reduce mortality and morbidity. Advances in technology have widened the fields of application towards other spine pathologies typical of elderly, such as primary and metastatic tumors.
In patients with severe pain for recent or un-healed vertebral fracture, VAP are clinically more effective than conservative treatment. Accurate pain assessment and pre-procedural Magnetic Resonance Imaging are highly recommended to obtain optimal patient selection and best treatment results.
KeywordsPercutaneous vertebroplasty Kyphoplasty Vertebral augmentation procedures Vertebral fractures Mini-invasive treatment Aging spine Vertebral fractures management
Compliance with Ethical Guidelines
Conflict of interest
Michelangelo Nasuto, Michele Falcone, Vincenzo Strizzi, Lucia Florio, Walter Lauriola, Giovanni Ciccarese, and Francesco Florio each declare no potential conflicts of interest.
Human and Animal Rights and Informed Consent
This article does not contain any studies with human or animal subjects performed by any of the authors.
Recently published papers of particular interest have been highlighted as: • Of importance •• Of major importance
- 1.Kanis J; On behalf of the World Health Organization Scientific Group. Assessment of osteoporosis at the primary health-care level: technical report. World Health Organization Collaborating Centre for metabolic bone diseases. University of Sheffield, Sheffield; 2008.Google Scholar
- 3.• Borgström F, Beall DP, Berven S, Boonen S, Christie S, Kallmes DF, et al. Health economic aspects of vertebral augmentation procedures. Osteoporos Int. 2015;26(4):1239–49. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00198-014-2953-5. A comprehensive health economic analysis on VAP.
- 11.Beall DP, Olan WJ, Kakad P, Li Q, Hornberger J. Economic analysis of kiva VCF treatment system compared to balloon kyphoplasty using randomized kiva safety and effectiveness trial (KAST) data. Pain Phys. 2015;18(3):E299–306.Google Scholar
- 15.• Stevenson M, Gomersall T, Lloyd Jones M, Rawdin A, Hernández M, Dias S, et al. Percutaneous vertebroplasty and percutaneous balloon kyphoplasty for the treatment of osteoporotic vertebral fractures: a systematic review and cost-effectiveness analysis. Health Technol Assess. 2014;18(17):1–290. https://doi.org/10.3310/hta18170. Good review about cost-effectiveness analysis of VAP.
- 16.Sun H, Lu PP, Liu YJ, Yang X, Zhou PH, Shen XF, et al. Can unilateral kyphoplasty replace bilateral kyphoplasty in treatment of osteoporotic vertebral compression fractures? A systematic review and meta-analysis. Pain Phys. 2016;19(8):551–63.Google Scholar
- 17.•• Buchbinder R, Osborne RH, Ebeling PR, Wark JD, Mitchell P, Wriedt C, et al. A randomized trial of vertebroplasty for painful osteoporotic vertebral fractures. N Engl J Med 2009;361:557–68. https://doi.org/10.1056/nejmoa0900429. One of the two “sham” trials confuting the effectiveness of the VAP. Despite numerous controversial aspects on study design, these articles led to a steep decrease in number of VAP during the 5-years period subsequent to their publication.
- 18.•• Kallmes DF, Comstock BA, Heagerty PJ, Turner JA, Wilson DJ, Diamond TH, et al. A randomized trial of vertebroplasty for osteoporotic spinal fractures. N Engl J Med 2009;361:569–79. https://doi.org/10.1056/nejmoa0900563. One of the two “sham” trials confuting the effectiveness of the VAP. Despite numerous controversial aspects on study design, these articles led to a steep decrease in number of VAP during the 5-years period subsequent to their publication.
- 19.Flug J, Hanford A, Ortiz O. Vertebral augmentation versus conservative therapy for emergently admitted vertebral compression deformities: an economic analysis. Pain Phys. 2013;16:441–5.Google Scholar
- 22.Martelli N, Devaux C, van den Brink H, Pineau J, Prognon P, Borget I. A systematic review of the level of evidence in economic evaluations of medical devices: the example of vertebroplasty and kyphoplasty. PLoS ONE. 2015;10(12):e0144892. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0144892.CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 23.•• Clark W, Bird P, Gonski P, Diamond TH, Smerdely P, McNeil HP, et al. Safety and efficacy of vertebroplasty for acute painful osteoporotic fractures (VAPOUR): a multicentre, randomised, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial. Lancet. 2016;388(10052):1408–16. https://doi.org/10.1016/s0140-6736(16)31341-1. Recent article with a solid study design outlining the effectiveness of vertebroplasty in acute vertebral fractures.
- 25.Blattert TR, Jestaedt L, Weckbach A. Suitability of a calcium phosphate cement in osteoporotic vertebral body fracture augmentation: a controlled, randomized, clinical trial of balloon kyphoplasty comparing calcium phosphate versus polymethylmethacrylate. Spine. 2009;34:108–14. https://doi.org/10.1097/BRS.0b013e31818f8bc1.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 27.Grafe IA, Baier M, Nöldge G, Weiss C, Da Fonseca K, Hillmeier J, et al. Calcium-phosphate and polymethylmethacrylate cement in long-term outcome after kyphoplasty of painful osteoporotic vertebral fractures. Spine. 2008;33:1284–90. https://doi.org/10.1097/BRS.0b013e3181714a84.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 29.Xiao H, Yang J, Feng X, et al. Comparing complications of vertebroplasty and kyphoplasty for treating osteoporotic vertebral compression fractures: a meta-analysis of the randomized and non-randomized controlled studies. Eur J Orthop Surg Traumatol. 2015;25(1):77. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00590-014-1502-4.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 30.Tanigawa N, Kariya S, Komemushi A, Tokuda T, Nakatani M, Yagi R, et al. Cement leakage in percutaneous vertebroplasty for osteoporotic compression fractures with or without intravertebral clefts. AJR Am J Roentgenol. 2009;193(5):W442–5. https://doi.org/10.2214/AJR.09.2774.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 34.Diel P, Freiburghaus L, Roder C, Benneker LM, Popp A, Perler G, et al. Safety, effectiveness and predictors for early reoperation in therapeutic and prophylactic vertebroplasty: short-term results of a prospective case series of patients with osteoporotic vertebral fractures. Eur Spine J. 2012;21:S792–9. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00586-011-1989-x.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 35.• Song D, Meng B, Gan M, Niu J, Li S, Chen H, et al. The incidence of secondary vertebral fracture of vertebral augmentation techniques versus conservative treatment for painful osteoporotic vertebral fractures: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Acta Radiol. 2015;56(8):970–9. https://doi.org/10.1177/0284185114544240. A systematic review and meta-analysis studying the possible association of VAP with the incidence of new vertebral fractures.
- 36.• Zhang H, Xu C, Zhang T, Gao Z, Zhang T. Does percutaneous vertebroplasty or balloon kyphoplasty for osteoporotic vertebral compression fractures increase the incidence of new vertebral fractures? A meta-analysis. Pain Phys. 2017;20(1):E13–E28. Recent meta-analysis about the possible association of VAP with the onset of new vertebral fractures.Google Scholar
- 37.• Klazen CA, Venmans A, de Vries J, van Rooij WJ, Jansen FH, Blonk MC, et al. Percutaneous vertebroplasty is not a risk factor for new osteoporotic compression fractures: results from VERTOS II. AJNR Am J Neuroradiol. 2010;31:1447–50. https://doi.org/10.3174/ajnr.a2148. A significant article studying the possible association of VAP with the onset of new vertebral fractures.
- 41.•• Barr JD, Jensen ME, Hirsch JA, McGraw JK, Barr RM, Brook AL, et al. Position statement on percutaneous vertebral augmentation: a consensus statement developed by the Society of Interventional Radiology (SIR), American Association of Neurological Surgeons (AANS) and the Congress of Neurological Surgeons (CNS), American College of Radiology (ACR), American Society of Neuroradiology (ASNR), American Society of Spine Radiology (ASSR), Canadian Interventional Radiology Association (CIRA), and the Society of NeuroInterventional Surgery (SNIS). J Vasc Interv Radiol. 2014;25:171–81. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jvir.2013.10.001. A consensus statement on VAP developed by several scientific societies in 2014.
- 45.• Gu CN, Brinjikji W, Evans AJ, Murad MH, Kallmes DF. Outcomes of vertebroplasty compared with kyphoplasty: a systematic review and meta-analysis. J Neurointerv Surg. 2016;8:636–42. A comprehensive meta-analysis comparing the outcomes of vertebroplasty and kyphoplasty.Google Scholar
- 48.Rousing R, Hansen KL, Andersen MO, Jespersen SM, Thomsen K, Lauritsen JM. Twelve-months follow-up in forty-nine patients with acute/semiacute osteoporotic vertebral fractures treated conservatively or with percutaneous vertebroplasty: a clinical randomized study. Spine. 2010;35:478–82. https://doi.org/10.1097/BRS.0b013e3181b71bd1.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 49.•• Wardlaw D, Cummings SR, Van Meirhaeghe J, Bastian L, Tillman JB, Ranstam J, Eastell R, Shabe P, Talmadge K, Boonen S. Efficacy and safety of balloon kyphoplasty compared with non-surgical care for vertebral compression fracture (FREE): a randomised controlled trial. Lancet. 2009;373:1016–24. https://doi.org/10.1016/s0140-6736(09)60010-6. An important trial on the safety and efficacy of kyphoplasty compared with conservative treatment.
- 50.American Academy of Orhopaedic Surgeons. The treatment of symptomatic osteoporotic spinal compression fractures: guideline and evidence report; 2010. http://www.aaos.org/research/guidelines/SCFguideline.pdf.
- 51.•• Klazen CA, Lohle PN, de Vries J et al. Vertebroplasty versus conservative treatment in acute osteoporotic vertebral compression fractures (VERTOS II): an open-label randomised trial. Lancet. 2010;376:1085–92. An important trial on the safety and efficacy of vertebroplasty compared to conservative treatment.Google Scholar
- 52.• Rosenbaum BP, Kshettry VR, Kelly ML, Mroz TE, Weil RJ. Trends in inpatient vertebroplasty and kyphoplasty volume in the United States, 2005–2011: assessing the impact of randomized controlled trials. Clin Spine Surg. 2017;30(3):E276–E282. https://doi.org/10.1097/bsd.0000000000000207. This article analyzed the impact of published works on VAP in USA during the 6-years period from 2005 to 2011.
- 53.• Ong KL, Beall DP, Frohbergh M, Lau E, Hirsch JA. Were VCF patients at higher risk of mortality following the 2009 publication of the vertebroplasty “sham” trials? Osteoporos Int. 2017;24:1–9. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00198-017-4281-z. An interesting article focused on the impact of the "sham" trials published on NEJM in 2009.
- 56.Svedbom A, Alvares L, Cooper C, Marsh D, Strom O. Balloon kyphoplasty compared to vertebroplasty and nonsurgical management in patients hospitalised with acute osteoporotic vertebral compression fracture: a UK cost-effectiveness analysis. Osteoporos Int. 2013;24(1):355–67.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar