Seeing the halo rotation of nearby spiral galaxies using Planck data
- 15 Downloads
The rotation of the galactic halos is a fascinating topic which is still waiting to be addressed. Planck data have shown the existence of a temperature asymmetry towards the halo of several nearby galaxies, such as M31, NGC 5128, M33, M81 and M82. However, the cause of this asymmetry is an open problem. A possibility to explain the observed effect relies on the presence of “cold gas clouds” populating the galactic halos, which may be the answer to the so-called missing baryon problem. Here, we present a technique to estimate an upper limit to the rotational velocity of the halo of some nearby spiral galaxies using both their dynamical masses and the Planck data.
Mathematics Subject Classification85-00 85-02 85-05
We acknowledge the use of Planck’s data in the Legacy Archive for Microwave Background Data Analysis (LAMBDA) and HEALPix  package. We would also like to acknowledge the project Inter-Asia 2018, by the collaboration of National University of Sciences and Technology, Islamabad, Pakistan and University of Salento, Lecce, Italy, and INFN which helped us to interact and work on this project. NT is grateful for the hospitality to the ISUFI college in campus, Eckotecne, of University of Salento, Lecce, Italy. FDP and AAN acknowledge the TAsP and Euclid INFN projects.
- 1.Ade, P.A.R.; et al. (Planck Collaboration): Planck 2015 results I. Overview of products and scientific results. Astron. Astrophys. 514, A1 (2016)Google Scholar
- 3.Burkert, A., Silk, J.: On the structure and nature of dark matter halos, 375 (1999)Google Scholar
- 7.De Paolis, F.; Ingrosso, G.; Jetzer, P.; Roncadelli, M.: A scenario for a baryonic dark halo. Astron. Astrophys. 299, 647 (1995a)Google Scholar
- 8.De Paolis, F.; Ingrosso, G.; Jetzer, P.; Qadir, A.; Roncadelli, M.: Observing molecular hydrogen clouds and dark massive objects in galactic halos. Astron. Astrophys. J. 299, 647 (1995b)Google Scholar
- 21.Mathieu, A., Dejonghe, H., Hui, X.: Probing the halo of Centaurus A: a merger dynamical model for the PN population 309, 30 (1996)Google Scholar
- 24.Oehm, W.; Thies, I.; Kroupa, P.: Constraints on the dynamical evolution of the galaxy group M81. Mon. Not. R. Astron. Soc. 467, 273 (2017)Google Scholar
- 26.Tahir, N., De Paolis, F., Qadir, A., Nucita, A.A.: Constraining baryons in the M31 galactic halo using Planck data. Int. J. Modern Phys. D (2018) (submitted)Google Scholar
Open AccessThis article is distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/), which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided you give appropriate credit to the original author(s) and the source, provide a link to the Creative Commons license, and indicate if changes were made.