Comparing minimal simplicial models
We compare minimal combinatorial models of homotopy types: arbitrary simplicial complexes, flag complexes and order complexes. Flag complexes are the simplicial complexes which do not have the boundary of a simplex of dimension greater than one as an induced subcomplex. Order complexes are classifying spaces of posets and they correspond to models in the category of finite T0-spaces. In particular, we prove that stably, that is after a suitably large suspension, the optimal flag complex representing a homotopy type is approximately twice as big as the optimal simplicial complex with that property (in terms of the number of vertices). We also investigate some related questions.
KeywordsTriangulation Simplicial complex Minimal model Homotopy type
Mathematics Subject Classification (1991)55P10 55U10 55P40
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Adamaszek, M.: Maximal Betti Number of a Flag Simplicial Complex. arxiv/1109.4775 Google Scholar
- 2.Barmak, J.A.: Algebraic Topology of Finite Topological Spaces and Applications, Lecture Notes in Mathematics, vol. 2032. Springer, Berlin-Heidelberg (2011)Google Scholar
- 9.Kozlov, D.: Combinatorial Algebraic Topology Algorithms and Computation in Mathematics, vol. 21. Springer, Berlin, Heidelberg (2008)Google Scholar
- 10.May, J.P.: Lecture notes about finite spaces for REU (2003). http://math.uchicago.edu/~may/finite.html
- 13.Weng, D.: On minimal finite models, a REU paper. http://www.math.uchicago.edu/~may/VIGRE/VIGRE2010/REUPapers/Weng.pdf