Fracture Toughness Testing of 6061Al–Graphite Composites Using SENB Specimens
- 35 Downloads
Aluminum-based metal matrix composites have been increasingly utilized as engineering materials over the last three decades replacing the conventional engineering materials. The effects on the KIc by addition of reinforcements have been comprehensively studied for aluminum-based metal matrix composites. Hence, engineers have been working on enhancing the fracture toughness (KIc) of metal matrix composites in recent years. Aim of the present work is to evaluate the fracture toughness (KIc) of aluminum (6061)–graphite particulate-reinforced composites produced using a stir casting method. 6061Al–graphite particulate composites for 3, 6, 9 and 12 wt% of graphite were produced. Single edge notch bend specimens are used for bending test to investigate the fracture toughness of the composites. Two-dimensional finite element analyses using ANSYS were carried out, and the outcomes are judged against with the experimental data. It has been shown that the predictions are in reasonable agreement with the experimental data. From the results, it is found that the aluminum–graphite MMC has more fracture toughness then aluminum-silicon carbide metal matrix composites for all compositions .
KeywordsAluminum–graphite particulates MMC SEM Fracture toughness SENB
This research received no specific grant from any funding agency in the public, commercial, or not-for-profit sectors.
- 3.ASM Handbook, Composites, vol. 21 (ASM International, 2001)Google Scholar
- 4.D.A. Saheb, Aluminum silicon carbide and aluminum graphite particulate composites. ARPN J. Eng. Appl. Sci. 6(10), 41–46 (2011)Google Scholar
- 6.Aluminum 6061-T6, 6061-T651 ASM Aerospace Specification Metals, Inc. 2015. www.aerospacemetals.com. Accessed 1 Jan 2018
- 7.ASTM Standards, Standard Test Method for Plane-Strain Fracture Toughness of Metallic Materials (ASTM International, E 399-17, 2017)Google Scholar
- 8.Y. Begum, S. Doddamani, Mechanical properties of aluminium–graphite particulate composites, in NCERAME-2015 (International Journal of Engineering Research and Technology (IJERT), March 2015)Google Scholar
- 9.K. Sekar, K. Allesu, M.A. Joseph, Design of a stir casting machine. Am. Int. J. Res. Sci. Technol. Eng. Math. 3(1), 56–62 (2013)Google Scholar
- 10.M. Sahoo, I.S. Rout, D.R. Patra, Design and fabrication of a stir casting furnace set-up. Int. J. Eng. Res. Appl. 5(7), 80–88 (2015)Google Scholar
- 12.S. Doddamani, M. Kaleemulla, Review of experimental fracture toughness (K IC) of aluminium alloy and aluminium MMCs. Int. J. Fract. Damage Mech. 1(1), 38–51 (2015)Google Scholar
- 13.S. Doddamani, M. Kaleemulla, Experimental investigation of fracture toughness of Al6061–graphite by using circumferential notched tensile specimens. Frattura ed Integrità Strutturale 39, 274–281 (2017)Google Scholar
- 16.S. Doddamani, M. Kaleemulla, Fracture toughness investigations of 6061Al–graphite particulate composite using compact specimens. Frattura ed Integrità Strutturale 41, 490–497 (2017)Google Scholar
- 17.Graphite (C)-Classifications, Properties and Applications of Graphite (CERAM Research Ltd., July 12, 2013)Google Scholar