Investigating the Effect of Approach Angle and Nose Radius on Surface Quality of Inconel 718
- 103 Downloads
This experimental work presents a surface quality evaluation of a Nickel-Cr-Fe based Inconel 718 superalloy, which has many applications in the aero engine and turbine components. However, during machining, the early wear of tool leads to decrease in surface quality. The coating on cutting tool plays a significant role in increasing the wear resistance and life of the tool. In this work, the aim is to study the surface quality of Inconel 718 with TiAlN-coated carbide tools. Influence of various geometrical parameters (tool nose radius, approach angle) and machining variables (cutting velocity, feed rate) on the quality of machined surface (surface roughness) was determined by using central composite design (CCD) matrix. The mathematical model of the same was developed. Analysis of variance was used to find the significance of the parameters. Results showed that the tool nose radius and feed were the main active factors. The present experiment accomplished that TiAlN-coated carbide inserts result in better surface quality as compared with uncoated carbide inserts.
KeywordsApproach angle Inconel 718 Response surface methodology Surface roughness Tool nose radius
The author is thankful to the IKG Punjab Technical University, Kapurthala (Punjab), India for his support in the research area.
- 3.J.R. Davis (ed.), Nickel, Cobalt, and Their Alloys (ASM International, Materials Park, 2000)Google Scholar
- 4.H.Z. Li, X.Q. Chen, in Aerospace materials handbook. Tool condition monitoring in machining superalloys, vol. 77, ed. by Z. Sam, D. Zhao (CRC Press, 2016)Google Scholar
- 8.Y. Deshpande, A. Andhare, N.K. Sahu, Estimation of surface roughness using cutting parameters, force, sound, and vibration in turning of Inconel 718, J. Braz. Soc. Mech. Sci. Eng. 1–10 (2017). https://doi.org/10.1007/s40430-017-0819-4
- 14.J.W. Ma, F.J. Wang, Z.Y. Jia, Y.Y. Gao, Machining parameter optimization in high-speed milling for Inconel 718 curved surface. Mater. Manuf. Processes 31(13), 1692–1699 (2015)Google Scholar
- 20.A. Thakur, S. Gangopadhyay, A. Mohanty, K. Maity, Experimental assessment on performance of TiN/TiCN/Al2O3/ZrCN coated tool during dry machining of Nimonic C-263. Int. J. Mach. Mach. Mater. 18, 452–465 (2016)Google Scholar
- 24.American National Standards Institute, Tool-Life Testing with Single Point Turning Tools. (American Society of Mechanical Engineers, 1986)Google Scholar
- 25.D.C. Montgomery, Design and Analysis of Experiments, 7th edn. (Wiley, New Delhi, 2012)Google Scholar