Application of DMAIC and SPC to Improve Operational Performance of Manufacturing Industry: A Case Study
- 122 Downloads
Statistical process control (SPC) is an excellent quality assurance tool to improve the quality of manufacture and end-customer satisfaction. It uses process monitoring charts to record the key quality characteristics of the component/part in manufacture. This research paper elaborates on one such key quality characteristics of the manufacturing of a spring support in the Tissue Dissector Device. This paper presents a creative solution through case study approach for improving the issue of rejection rate in the spring support in a medical device manufacturing industry by using SPC and define-measure-analyze-improve-control (DMAIC) approach which provide breakthrough quality improvements in short period of time.
KeywordsStatistical process control Define-measure-analyse-improve-control methodology Cost of poor quality Case study
Authors are thankful to the medical equipment manufacturing company for their support and permission to carry out the research work.
- 3.K. Salzman, Statistical Process Control Implementation for GaAs Integrated circuit Fabrication, Texas Instruments Incorporated, IEEE Ga As IC Symposium, 217–220, 1992Google Scholar
- 5.T.T. Pyzdek, P.A. Keller, The Six Sigma Handbook, A Complete Guide for Green Belts, Black Belts, and Managers at All Levels, 3rd edn. (McGraw-Hill, New York, 2010)Google Scholar
- 6.S.H. Park, M.J. Lee, M.Y. Chung, Theory and Practice of Six Sigma (Publishing Division of Korean Standards Association, Seoul, 1999)Google Scholar
- 8.J.W. Locke, Statistical measurement control, quality and statistics, Total Quality Management, ASTM STP 1209, J.M. Kowalewski Jr. (ed) (American Society for Testing and Materials, Philadelphia, 1994)Google Scholar
- 13.E. Gentili, F. Aggogeri, M. Mazzola, The improvement of a manufacturing stream using the DMAIC method. University of Brescia Paper No. IMECE2006-14469, ASME, New York, 127–133 (2006)Google Scholar
- 14.C. Sahay, S. Ghosh, P.K. Bheemarthi, Process improvement of brake lever production using DMAIC. University of Hartford, Paper No. IMECE 2011-63813, ASME, New York, 801–826, 2011Google Scholar
- 18.S.N. Teli, L.M. Gaikwad, V.S. Majali, U.M. Bhushi, V.V. Surange, Cost of poor quality analysis for automobile industry: a case study. J. Inst. Eng. India Ser. C 94(4), 373–384 (2013)Google Scholar